Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Most Overhyped on This Forum?
Omaha, Nebraska 8 8.00%
Richmond, Virginia 21 21.00%
Pueblo, Colorado 5 5.00%
Scranton, Pennsylvania 8 8.00%
Buffalo, New York 5 5.00%
Los Angeles, California 13 13.00%
Houston, Texas 46 46.00%
Chicago, Illinois 20 20.00%
Miami, Florida 7 7.00%
Louisville, Kentucky 2 2.00%
Frederick, Maryland 0 0%
St. Louis, Missouri 4 4.00%
Denver, Colorado 8 8.00%
Santa Fe, New Mexico 1 1.00%
North Carolina (ALL OF IT) 18 18.00%
Oil City, Pennsylvania (Just for Kicks) 6 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:42 PM

341 posts, read 1,337,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
I don't think Atlanta is one of the most overhyped cities, but some Atlantans surely do have some sort of John Rocker NYC hatred mentality. Kidding.

NYC is the largest city of the nation, it deserves to be overhyped in one way or another. Percentage-wise NYC is underrepresented in city vs city forum, but some of the few are too vocal to balance out. Atlantans on the other hand, need to defend themselves a whole lot & reactionaries. Atlanta is not overhyped.

I would disagre, as a transplant in Atlanta I've found that allot of newly arrived out of towners try and let you know that they are from out of town at every chance they get. And then once they realize the locals dont care one way or another, they (out of towners) are actually the ones who become bitter. After I moved to Atlanta from Chicago I thought people would be amazed and fascinated by me being from out of town, and I quickly realized that people in Atlanta simply didnt care one way or the other. And that goes double for people from NYC, I have seen it time and time again. Person moves here, then once they realize people are not impressed by them being from NYC, they get upset. Most people in Atlanta are to self absorbed with keeping up with whatever the staus quo is at the moment to care where someone is from. Not to mention when half the cities population isnt even from Atlanta anyway, they just get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Exactly. I've really never met anyone from the north who didn't like Boston (well, except for Yankee fans, but that's different lol). Not saying everyone north likes Boston--this is just based on people I've spoken to most of my life.

Well I really didnt care for Boston, and quite honestly I dont see what the bid deal is outside of sports. Boston is probably heaven for a 20 or 30 something y/o white male. But as a person of color, there is a laundry list of cities I would rather spend my time in. Everyone does not lke Boston

Old 03-10-2009, 03:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
^^I know, that's why I said not everyone likes Boston who is from the north. A lot seem to though.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:49 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
I would disagre, as a transplant in Atlanta I've found that allot of newly arrived out of towners try and let you know that they are from out of town at every chance they get. And then once they realize the locals dont care one way or another, they (out of towners) are actually the ones who become bitter. After I moved to Atlanta from Chicago I thought people would be amazed and fascinated by me being from out of town, and I quickly realized that people in Atlanta simply didnt care one way or the other. And that goes double for people from NYC, I have seen it time and time again. Person moves here, then once they realize people are not impressed by them being from NYC, they get upset. Most people in Atlanta are to self absorbed with keeping up with whatever the staus quo is at the moment to care where someone is from. Not to mention when half the cities population isnt even from Atlanta anyway, they just get used to it.
Why should someone be "amazed and fascinated" b/c you are from Chicago? That makes no sense to me. I don't get why some people let some city's perceived "status" define who they are and think it should "impress" someone.

It's also pretty self absorbed to expect people to be "amazed and fascinated" just b/c you happen to be from a certain city. Being from a certain city doesn't make anyone special or better than others.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:55 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
No one who hates Atlanta and Houston would also hate Boston. Boston is polar opposite of Atlanta and Houston. It's a nicely compact, walkable, urban city with good public transportation and a slightly European feel. Atlanta and Houston are hot strip malls with skylines of disconnected skyscrapers surrounded by parking.
Yes, people...THIS is a prime example of Atlanta and Houson forumers being "oversensitive" and "defensive" about their cities. Right?

This kind of ridiculous statement is exactly what causes the bickering and hype. Does anyone actually think that there are mature forumers sitting around waiting to pick a fight and defend their city - when there is no reason to do it?

I think we all know that a statement like THIS is where the actual problem begins and is perpetuated...

Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Why should someone be "amazed and fascinated" b/c you are from Chicago? That makes no sense to me. I don't get why some people let some city's perceived "status" define who they are and think it should "impress" someone.

It's also pretty self absorbed to expect people to be "amazed and fascinated" just b/c you happen to be from a certain city. Being from a certain city doesn't make anyone special or better than others.
Exactly...but he found out differently when he moved away from Chicago and learned that people weren't really impressed with where he was from. On that same note, I love Chicago and I'm impressed with it every time I visit...it's an amazing city. But I'm not necessarily impressed by someone who is from Chicago.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:02 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I hear you. However, I would hardly call the city v. city forum and the general forum an information providing service as it's typically for entertainment purposes, general discussion and banter. As Mr. T would say, "I pity the fool" who comes on to the General U.S. forum looking for anything more than unfiltered and entirely biased opinions on a certain city or state. Especially considering that 85% of the responses on a particular city in this subsection are going to be from people who are entirely unfamiliar with the location. In other words, 99% of the information posted in this particular subsection of the forum is essentially worthless beyond entertainment, general discussion, and trivial knowledge.

If someone wants information on a particular state, they generally post questions in the particular state or city's specified forum (and if they don't, they should). If someone comes into the Atlanta forum and starts spewing obnoxious, ridiculous crap about your city, defend away... That's where most people want to look for information and that's where your defense will ring louder and gain more support. However, when people constantly defend against all of the off-the-wall commentary about their cities in the General U.S. subsection, they not only make their city look a bit worse while giving the people who get kicks out of trashing other cities more ammunition.

In other words, when people talk about how "bad" Atlanta's skyline is or how there's nothing urban about it, save your breath. The majority of us know that Atlanta has one hell of a skyline and as with most major cities, there's a LOT that is urban about Atlanta. By trying to "prove" some of the idiots on this forum wrong, it only makes them want to push even more. Someone who hates Atlanta, Houston, Boston, or ANY city (even if they've never been within 300 miles of the city) isn't going to change their mind no matter how valid your points are. There is no "idiot" filter on city-data.com that I know of so the rest of us just have to deal with them and by not egging them on (intentionally or unintentionally), we won't lose so many threads to crazy city v. city pis$ing contests.
This is right.

Quote:
Not everyone is obsessed with strip malls, compactness, walkability, public transport, etc..like so many posters on here are. There are many other factors that can make a city desirable to people such as climate, job opportunities, people, atmosphere, etc...

I don't see how you can make some broad generalization and assumption that anyone who hates Atl or Houston is not going to hate Boston. One could hate Houston for its hot weather, Atlanta for its traffic, and Boston for its people, it all depends on the individual.

Do you understand that people have different preferences for what makes a city desirable for them to live in?
This is also right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
No one who hates Atlanta and Houston would also hate Boston. Boston is polar opposite of Atlanta and Houston. It's a nicely compact, walkable, urban city with good public transportation and a slightly European feel. Atlanta and Houston are hot strip malls with skylines of disconnected skyscrapers surrounded by parking.
This is wrong.

And uninformed.

Quote:
Exactly. I've really never met anyone from the north who didn't like Boston (well, except for Yankee fans, but that's different lol). Not saying everyone north likes Boston--this is just based on people I've spoken to most of my life.
We already know it's not based on anything but hearsay. You don't need to clarify this point anymore.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
Well I really didnt care for Boston, and quite honestly I dont see what the bid deal is outside of sports. Boston is probably heaven for a 20 or 30 something y/o white male. But as a person of color, there is a laundry list of cities I would rather spend my time in. Everyone does not lke Boston
I totally agree...I guess I was expecting Boston to be some kind of tremendous, impressive city that I would feel drawn to. I was seeing someone there for a while, so I was back and forth a lot...and the more I visited, the more I discovered that Boston was dirty, crumbling, unattractive, boring (clubs closed at 1 a.m. at that time), and just generally not a nice place to visit. We spent as much time in Provincetown as possible - and i did LOVE Cape Cod. But Boston certainly did not live up to the hype as I had expected.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:09 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I totally agree...I guess I was expecting Boston to be some kind of tremendous, impressive city that I would feel drawn to. I was seeing someone there for a while, so I was back and forth a lot...and the more I visited, the more I discovered that Boston was dirty, crumbling, unattractive, boring (clubs closed at 1 a.m. at that time), and just generally not a nice place to visit. We spent as much time in Provincetown as possible - and i did LOVE Cape Cod. But Boston certainly did not live up to the hype as I had expected.

Really? The complete opposite for me. I was seeing someone from home who went to school in Boston. I went there often. The more I saw it, the more I liked it. I had never thought it was anything special the other quick times I had been there, but after spending decent amounts of time there, I enjoyed it more.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:14 PM

341 posts, read 1,337,768 times
Quote:

That was just mindset that I had back then, If you read my entire post I have since realized that is basically a wack mindset to have. But I said that to say this, that allot of people that move to Atlanta have that mindset at first until they are humbled by the indifferent attitude of locals towards out of towners. It took for me almost getting a serious butt kicking and someone telling "we dont give a f*** where you are from" to realize that tpe of mindset was immature and not the move

Old 03-10-2009, 04:15 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Really? The complete opposite for me. I was seeing someone from home who went to school in Boston. I went there often. The more I saw it, the more I liked it. I had never thought it was anything special the other quick times I had been there, but after spending decent amounts of time there, I enjoyed it more.
Wow! We finally agree on something.
Boston is great. If I was forced to move from the NJ/NY area, Boston would be my first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City