U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,726,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Texas without a doubt! It's cheap to live there, but you get what you pay for.

Exactly. The middle class is disappearing in the NYC metro area, and they're forced to leave. Some people are lucky enough to stay and still have a nice quality of living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 PM

3,971 posts, read 11,452,521 times
This may have been brought up earlier, but in talking to transplants recently, my answer is Arizona. And not AZ's fault really, other than they share a border with a country that is coming apart at the seams. My understanding is crime is becoming out of control in Tucson and Phoenix. Somebody correct me if this is not a real issue.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,064,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
This may have been brought up earlier, but in talking to transplants recently, my answer is Arizona. And not AZ's fault really, other than they share a border with a country that is coming apart at the seams. My understanding is crime is becoming out of control in Tucson and Phoenix. Somebody correct me if this is not a real issue.
Last year, Tucson murders were up while overall violent crimes were down. This year, overall crime is down (including murders). Aside from that, it really is difficult for anyone to forecast whether a place will experience more or less crimes unless you are in the peoples' heads who commit/plan to commit them. Auto theft is probably higher here than the national average. That may have something to do with being so close to the border.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 PM

246 posts, read 467,236 times
A better question would be which states have have a trend towards an improved quality of life because most if not all are declining just like this country.This country had great potential at one time but is now like a drug addict or alcoholic with a mental disorder that needs to get away from itself.Most are scared to say the truths of the causes and effects but you can only lie to yourself for so long before you self destruct.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 PM

919 posts, read 1,867,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsing View Post
I personally think they all have gone downhill. I live overseas and have lived overseas for the past 15 years. I come home once a year for a couple of months. So, I can see it from a different perspective than those that live in the US day to day. Each time I return it gets worse. The streets are full of potholes, the airports are dirty, the towns are dirtier, the people seem more cynical, etc etc. Each time I return it seems more rundown across the US. We are not taking care of our cities! I don't go to the midwest,as I don't have family there. But, I have often visited california, the south, and the northeast. It is like seeing your nephew after a year and realizing how much he has grown, when no one around you has noticed. The television has gotten out of control. I couldn't let my own children hold the remote control in the hotel for fear of what they might accidentally come across while trying to find a cartoon. Seriously, I had to keep the remote control from them! America is on a downward spiral. It doesn't look good folks! I traveled to NY just last week and was amazed at the litter along the highways. It was unbelievable. What happened to the respect for our country? What happened to fines for highway littering? The bathrooms in restaurants in very upscale communities like Larchmont NY were disgusting.
I was amazed and saddened by what I saw. I wonder what the US will look like in the next 10 years if we don't wake up and start to respect the fact that we have a beautiful country?
Actually the downhill spiral has been happening for a long time. Channell 11 in chicago airs a documentary every year titled 'Remembering Chicago' where they show videos and interview people who grew up during the period around the 1930s(before WW2). One thing that sticks in my my mind is this lady that states when interviewed that when she was a teenage girl on a hot summer night she walk down to the nearest park in her pajamas with a pillow and blanket and sleep in the park without even one thought of someone doing her harm. And a person could do that in any park in the city even on the south side, which wasn't all black back then. But all cities were that safe. They were places of real neighborhoods with people that cared for each other and had a closeness. As far as Al Capone goes the mafia were killing each other, not preying on people in parks.

Also, the journalist Russell Baker wrote an article in the NYTimes telling what he, as a young man, was doing on the day that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. In the context of the article he stated this: "If someone could step from 1940 New York into New York today he would be shocked and horrified, it would be like a futuristic nightmare come true." That article by Baker was written about 10 years ago.

You get the drift of what I am saying that the decline started a long time ago. In fact I think the decline can be traced back to WW1 with the roaring twenties that followed that war.

Anyway, get ready for a wild ride.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:43 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,967,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsing View Post
I personally think they all have gone downhill. I live overseas and have lived overseas for the past 15 years. I come home once a year for a couple of months. So, I can see it from a different perspective than those that live in the US day to day. Each time I return it gets worse. The streets are full of potholes, the airports are dirty, the towns are dirtier, the people seem more cynical, etc etc. Each time I return it seems more rundown across the US. We are not taking care of our cities! I don't go to the midwest,as I don't have family there. But, I have often visited california, the south, and the northeast. It is like seeing your nephew after a year and realizing how much he has grown, when no one around you has noticed. The television has gotten out of control. I couldn't let my own children hold the remote control in the hotel for fear of what they might accidentally come across while trying to find a cartoon. Seriously, I had to keep the remote control from them! America is on a downward spiral. It doesn't look good folks! I traveled to NY just last week and was amazed at the litter along the highways. It was unbelievable. What happened to the respect for our country? What happened to fines for highway littering? The bathrooms in restaurants in very upscale communities like Larchmont NY were disgusting.
I was amazed and saddened by what I saw. I wonder what the US will look like in the next 10 years if we don't wake up and start to respect the fact that we have a beautiful country?
what courntry do you live in most of the year?

Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,510,168 times
New York to include the state and the city. Upstate New York has seen tremendous job losses over the past couple of decades. Small cities that were once thriving middle class enclaves are now a shell of what they once were. NYC is nothing more than a tourist mecca that caters to the rich. While it is still one of the greatest cities in the world, it has lost much of it's character and what was once special about it, it's becoming a playground for the priveleged.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:25 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,224,244 times
Quality of life is subjective.

I would say that states with high migration, both incoming and outgoing, and going to have quality of life issues. State and local governments do not anticipate well; they are usually behind the curve, putting out fires as they start.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:56 AM

443 posts, read 1,154,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Texas without a doubt! It's cheap to live there, but you get what you pay for.
Really, cupcake? Have you even ever been to Texas for more than a plane stopover? Or, like most people who have never been, is your view of our state hyped up by John Wayne stories and "W" hatred? Get over yourself. There's a reason why we are the fastest growing state in the country right now...it's a livable place with JOBS...a four-letter word that may be foreign to you.

Quality of life means different things to different people but I'll take our warm, mild winters, relatively stable economy and conservative-spending government any day. Sure, we have our problems but, compared to states like CA, MI, OR etc...all of which have nearly double the Texas unemployment rate, our problems pale in comparison.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:06 AM

757 posts, read 1,905,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I get tired of people who live in states like Texas or North Carolina complaining about people moving in from Michigan. I live in Michigan and as everyone knows thousands are leaving. Our state is collapsing under the wieght of the failing auto industry, unions and failed liberal policies. People in the southern states complain about the Michigan folks who move to their states for work. Dont they remember that just 60 years ago the tables were reversed??? People were fleeing the SOUTH to come to michigan to work in the booming auto industry. Many of our grandparents and great grandparents were as southern as sweet tea and grits. Did michigan residents complain about this southern influence on our state??? Maybe a few. Was the midwestern nature of michigan changed by it??? Maybe a little bit. Our state doubled in population in just a few decades due to southerners moving north to escape poverty. We went through the same growing pains then that you face now. I am no south basher, I love the south. I even think they were right about states rights vs federal power. I wish they had won the war. For the most part the people of the south represent some of the best about America. But I have to say, give us michiganders a break when we move into your town. Oh and we dont call ourselves "yankees" either and we dont like it. People from New England, New Jersey and New york are Yankees and we are nothing like them. Call us northerners or midwesterners but not yankees. Those southerners who moved up here 60-80 years ago melded in to our culture, and now that the tables have turned we will meld into yours.
It's not that our complaints are baseless. For example, they move to Texas and all the do is complain about the food, the people, the weather, the lack of public transport, different culture, more religious people, etc. We don't mind transplants... Texas was built from people from all over the country (and world)... but people fleeing the failed liberal policies of the northeast always come down with a chip on their shoulder. They always feel they're better than everyone else, and they look down on the local culture.... despite the fact that Texas has given them the opportunity to own their own home, work etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or