U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 PM

2,241 posts, read 4,588,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I specifically said -i know its a public forum. But its mainly a grudge betwen people from chicago and new york. How somebody from pennslyvania going to chime in. It doesnt concern them
I'm pretty sure something that is common knowledge to everyone in the country may concern them too. The idea of Gotham and Batman is not exclusive to the people of NYC or Chicago, nor do you have to be a native to recognize or have an opinion as to which city fits the mold best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 AM

3,012 posts, read 3,253,491 times
homie its real simple.

The structure of chicago
The structure of New York

Which one of these fit gotham the most.

If you not from either one of these cities. How in the hell re u going to give insight to this conversation.

All the posters that were not from either cities. added nothing to this conversation

Old 03-14-2009, 12:35 AM

8,872 posts, read 12,539,911 times
Hahaha. That thread in the Chicago forum was from last July, and related to the latest Batman movie that came out and was shot in the central areas of Chicago.

This here thread has had over 60 replies in the past 2 days, and I haven't noticed anyone who is from Chicago even respoding.....

What's this huge fuss from people about Chicagoans conversing 8 months ago about a movie shot in the city?

Chillax

Old 03-14-2009, 02:35 AM

2,059 posts, read 3,182,273 times
i rented batman returns about a week ago.

its kind of funny at the beginning of the movie they have a christmas tree lighting identical to the one in rockefeller center

Old 03-14-2009, 10:54 AM

1,437 posts, read 1,881,301 times
Quote:
\
but at the end of the day hes right though. Why do u even have an opinion on this. This should be for chicagoens and new yorkers......... just to keep it real. This is a conversation between these two cities. I know this is a public forum but seriously
Maybe cause I lived in both Chicago and NYC!

Old 03-14-2009, 11:39 AM

13,105 posts, read 13,614,063 times
I'm thinking that these are two different Gotham's. The original one is by Washington Irving is based off of New York. But Batman's Gotham is based in Chicago. If New Yorkers have any issue, they need not to place it on Chicago. But to the makers and producers of the comic and the movie. That's what I get out of it though.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Maybe cause I lived in both Chicago and NYC!
I doesn't matter, you can't know what Chicago or New York is like unless you were born there or currently live there.

mod cut

Last edited by mrstewart; 03-15-2009 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: personal attacks

Old 03-14-2009, 12:15 PM

3,012 posts, read 3,253,491 times
that would be correct actually^

Old 03-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
that would be correct actually^
Perhaps we should filter out only the New Yorkers or Chicagoans who have extensive knowledge of Batman and Gotham city...simply because one knows New York and Chicago well enough to fit your standards doesn't mean that they know Gotham well enough.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:49 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,067,354 times
Come on, just because somebody doesn't currently reside in a city doesn't mean that they don't know it.

Pittsteelers fan probably has the best perspective since he/she have lived in both cities.

They chose to use Chicago as the new Gotham because of its architecture, alleys, and cost of filming. They needed a big, urban city to shoot in so they chose Chicago.

I don't think Chicago is trying to steal New York's "nickname".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City