U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city skyline do you find the most impressive:
Pueblo 103 40.23%
Chicago 153 59.77%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:14 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,111,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Not only is Pueblo my least favorite town in Colorado and IMO very unattractive; it's skyline shouldn't even be mentioned in the same realm with Chicago's. What's next Barstow nightlife VS. Boston. Even Denver VS. Chicago as far as skyline would be pathetic. Chicago TKO'S Pueblo as well all US skylines..except maybe NYC, which I know all you New Yorkers and Chicago people have been having it out on here over forever.
Seconded. That is one fugly skyline.

This thread is embarrassing and makes Pueblo seem like it has a major inferiority complex...

How about Pueblo vs. Grand Junction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Status: "Pueblo Canon City CSA 208,000. The 134th largest in the USA!" (set 8 days ago)

9,797 posts, read 10,299,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Seconded. That is one fugly skyline.

This thread is embarrassing and makes Pueblo seem like it has a major inferiority complex...

How about Pueblo vs. Grand Junction?
This is not a competition on the largest sky line but the best sky line and in my opinion with the mountains as a back drop Pueblo more then holds it own to Chicago.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:08 PM

5,305 posts, read 3,389,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is not a competition on the largest sky line but the best sky line and in my opinion with the mountains as a back drop Pueblo more then holds it own to Chicago.
Wow, do you honestly believe that?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,059,030 times
Quote:

Just be honest. You weren't *really* serious when you started this thread....were you???

Old 01-14-2012, 04:13 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,111,582 times
Quote:
Ok, Chicago has not only a larger but better skyline. Pueblo's is frumpy, ugly and has nothing that sets it apart.

If you want to compare skyline's mountain backdrops, I direct you about 30 minutes north to Southern Colorado's Alpha City...

Old 01-14-2012, 04:16 PM

204 posts, read 232,240 times
Honestly, all skylines in Colorado Combined probably wouldn't match up to Chicago.

I know this thread is completely delusional, but you have to give Jossepie props for supporting Pueblo!

Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Status: "Pueblo Canon City CSA 208,000. The 134th largest in the USA!" (set 8 days ago)

9,797 posts, read 10,299,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Wow, do you honestly believe that?
I get it Chicago has a amazingly tall sky line and if that was the factor Chicago would win hands down as I like a lot of their sky scrapers. That is why I made the factors other then who has the tallest or largest skyline but using such factors as natural setting and types of buildings etc. Look at Chicago's back drop, the great lakes. I don't mean any disrespect to people from Chicago but that does not compare to the back drop of the Rocky Mountains. So when I look at Pueblo's sky line with the white capped mountains as the back drop I am amazed every time. Then on top of that Pueblo has been a "large" city since the late 1800's making Pueblo's urban area the second largest in the state with numerous buildings that date back to the 1800's. That gives the architecture of downtown a variety usually only found in your large cities like Chicago. Finally Puebloans support our urban area and we have voted in such amenities as a convention center, regional art center, upgraded our performing arts center, built a Riverwalk etc that is continuing to grow making our urban area feel more like a urban area in a large MSA yet you can be in prairie in less then a 10 minute drive. So yes Pueblo's sky line is smaller but in my opinion when using the factors I described I think Pueblo's downtown is much better then most people realize and holds its own to cities like Chicago.

Here are some examples of what I mean:

A picture of Pueblo at night.

This is the county building in downtown. In my opinion this is one of the best buildings in the state.

This is the inside of the dome in the county building. The murals are hand painted to show the early history of Colorado.

This is city hall and the back part is Memorial Hall where Broadway shows are held. I know its not the best picture but I took it during one of the many large festivals downtown Pueblo holds. The most popular is the Chile festival which was ranked as the second best festival in the nation.

This is the historic train depot during Christmas.

This is the historic Vail hotel. When it was built it was one of the most modern hotels west of the Mississippi.

Not the best picture but this is historic Union Ave during a festival. Many of these buildings were built more then 100 years ago.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:08 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,059,030 times
Josseppie, your first pic says it all. A couple of glimmers of light in front of a mountain isn't too terribly impressive. Heck, Anchorage has that to the extreme...doesn't mean it holds a candle to Chicago:

Skylines are about the composite of large, architecturally significant buildings *and* their natural backdrop. So, although the Rockies are spectacularly beautiful in their own right, it doesn't mean that every city that abuts them has a beautiful skyline just because they're there. When you consider how many massive buildings of varying architectural styles there are on Chicago's skyline, it trumps Pueblo, even with the backdrop.

A fairer comparison might be Vancouver vs. Chicago, or Seattle vs. Chicago, or LA vs. Chicago-- all of which have mountain backdrops. But, I still don't know if any of those cities would win. The architectural heritage of Chicago (plus it's location on Lake Michigan, which ain't too shabby as far as natural settings go), is just too much.

Those images of buildings in Pueblo are impressive, but alone none of them constitute a skyline. Now, if you did Pueblo's county building vs. Chicago's Union Station, and told people to judge just be architectural merit and not size, you'd have a fighting chance. But skyline vs. skyline? No way Pueblo's better than Chicago....

Old 01-14-2012, 05:17 PM

9,374 posts, read 6,101,199 times
Wow. This thread was started almost three years ago and is still going...

Rick James "Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - YouTube

Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 PM

1,021 posts, read 913,451 times
Better than Chicago, No. Better than Minneapolis or Denver, Yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City