Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city skyline is most impressive:
Los Angeles 248 48.82%
Atlanta 260 51.18%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:16 PM

183 posts, read 230,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually he did imply there was that type of density between each skyline cluster. Look at the post he reply's to. Also, I never said the gaps were a bad thing; but they are definitely gaps.

Hey !!! i wasnt Implying that too Buckhead I was implying that too downtown and midtown which there is Low density. Thanks

Old 11-18-2009, 07:28 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Actually he did imply there was that type of density between each skyline cluster. Look at the post he reply's to. Also, I never said the gaps were a bad thing; but they are definitely gaps.
Um, you are so missing the point here. NYC has a 'gap' between Midtown and Downtown...it's called Greenwich Village, Murray Hill...

Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 PM

804 posts, read 2,402,273 times
LA says love me.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:40 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,942 times
Here's another way to look at density. Very often cities like New York, DC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc., construct buildings right up to the sidewalk which is right up next to the street -- creating that "canyon" effect (even if the buildings are restricted by height in DC's case).

The density argument and the "impact" of a skyline" is greater when the buildings are closer together and built right up to the street.

One of the issues I had with Atlanta's lack of density was that even along Peachtree, say near the High Museum, you find that the buildings are setback from the street/sidewalk. Ground-floor retail is another feature that was missing from many of Atlanta's buildings. Ground floor retail creates foot traffic and street-level "energy" that people say is missing from Atlanta.

I know that there was infill development over the past few years in Atlanta, but that argument that the "buildings are too far apart" within the Atlanta skyline can be explained by some of these points.

The next question is this: How can you fix this? Do you tear down the Atlanta hi-rises built during the 80s, 90s and early '00s and rebuild them closer to the street to create that "city effect" that many people say contributes to Atlanta's lack of energy?

Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,942 times
The Buckhead neighborhoods are beautiful and should be preserved (and most likely will be). They are part of Atlanta's strongest assets. Therefore the density issue should not mean that the city should "sprawl" into Buckhead. But rather the city should flesh out that Peachtree corridor along the north/south routes between Buckhead, Midtown and Downtown. Fill in those parking lots. Build right up to the street. Ground floor retail in every building. Parking garages should be mandatory under every new building that goes up to discourage parking lot eyesores.

This way you have your high-density along commercial corridors, which prevents Atlanta from turning into Manhattan by retaining it's single-family home neighborhoods. A lot of the "Atlanta is a suburban city" comments would be negated if Atlanta chooses to develop these types of growth patterns. The street-level urbanity and density would give Atlanta that "edge" and "energy" and not destroy it's residential neighborhoods. I imagine it will in time -- the city needs to demand that developers follow this pattern.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:56 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,222 times
These are all good suggestions back2dc, and are currently happening with new developments (i.e. the Midtown Mile). Atlanta has grown rapidly and is still developing, so these things take time.

With that, it's going to take time also for people to actually move into the city to create demand that meets the supply of these projects. Our city population is only a fraction of the metro. From a financial standpoint, grand developments to densify the city are null and financially irresponsible if there is only a fraction of our population living in the city to support them. The demand for these projects will increase as the city population begins to increase. Until then, we just need to occupy the developments that already exist, and the current real estate market has to improve so more retailers can occupy the already prevalent street level leasing space.

It's all going to come in due time, and we have to remember Atlanta, as an international city, is still relatively new. Much of the discussion about Atlanta probably won't be relevant 15 years from now.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Um, you are so missing the point here. NYC has a 'gap' between Midtown and Downtown...it's called Greenwich Village, Murray Hill...
Your missing the point; the point is their is a long stretch of suburban type development separating Midtown/downtwon from Buckhead. Why is this even an argument?? I never said it was bad; I was just stating a fact and nothing in Atlanta looks like Greenwich Village so that comparison fails.

However, I'm sure y'all will make a fuss about my last sentence as well. Btw, this isn't me bashing Atlanta; I'm just stating it's a gap because the skylines are linear compared to the multiple skylines in LA. While Buckhead is a completely separate skyline from the Midtown/Buckhead. It looks like a large gap from far.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Your missing the point; the point is their is a long stretch of suburban type development separating Midtown/downtwon from Buckhead. Why is this even an argument?? I never said it was bad; I was just stating a fact and nothing in Atlanta looks like Greenwich Village so that comparison fails.

However, I'm sure y'all will make a fuss about my last sentence as well. Btw, this isn't me bashing Atlanta; I'm just stating it's a gap because the skylines are linear compared to the multiple skylines in LA. While Buckhead is a completely separate skyline from the Midtown/Buckhead. It looks like a large gap from far.
\

We are not talking about the gap between Buckhead and dowtown/midtown. We are talking about the Maine skyline and people saying there is Gaps between downtown/midtown. I showed the low density between the 2 now can you except that instead of trying to find something to say about a gap. buckhead isnt apart of the main skyline anyway. Atlanta skyline is linear because of the tall buildings but when you are standing from the streets it doesnt feel linear. You can see the density. I guess you could say that if you visit sometime.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
\

We are not talking about the gap between Buckhead and dowtown/midtown. We are talking about the Maine skyline and people saying there is Gaps between downtown/midtown. I showed the low density between the 2 now can you except that instead of trying to find something to say about a gap. buckhead isnt apart of the main skyline anyway. Atlanta skyline is linear because of the tall buildings but when you are standing from the streets it doesnt feel linear. You can see the density. I guess you could say that if you visit sometime.
What Maine skyline???

Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
What Maine skyline???
Quit being sacastic you know what I am talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City