U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city skyline is most impressive:
Los Angeles 248 48.82%
Atlanta 260 51.18%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 12-07-2011, 10:50 AM

5,412 posts, read 5,031,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
^ Do you think people on this site can read that? Looks ridiculous.
But it proves "my point doesn't it"???????get a grip I just popped in on a Skyscrapers Under Construction Site and Los Angeles has a "approved" 1,250 ft Skyscraper that would knock off the current 4Th and 5Th tallest Skyscrapers in the United States of America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...in_Los_Angeles

Last edited by Howest2008; 12-07-2011 at 11:10 AM..

Unread 12-07-2011, 10:52 AM

11,595 posts, read 11,265,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
What does this have to do with anything? Doesnt mean Houston has a better skyline or taller skyline.
Keep climbing those spires in your never ending quest to make ATL look tall King Kong.

Unread 12-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 226,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
But it proves "my point doesn't it"???????
I meant what I said. I just see a bunch of jumbled up words and pictures and then look away. If you need help posting them correctly feel free to ask me and I can help you. I am not trying to be rude or funny, I really cant tell what is going on in that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Keep climbing those spires in search of something important King Kong.

Houston's & LA's skyline is taller than Atlanta's. Any architecture buff could tell you that.
Taller as in? You keep saying taller with no boundaries. Are you talking about the tallest building, average of top 3, average of top 5, average of top 10, etc. I have never encountered anyone who only goes by the tallest building.

Unread 12-07-2011, 11:02 AM

6,208 posts, read 5,771,194 times
Quote:
Atlanta's Bank of America Plaza (to the roof) - 933' - (to the spire) - 1,040'

Houston's Chase Tower - 1,002'

Houston's One Shell Plaza (to the tip of the antennae) - 1,000'

Houston's Wells Fargo Plaza - 992'

LA's US Bank Tower - 1,018'

Not even that huge of a difference with a spire.
You information is incorrect. The roof of the BofA tower is 1023 feet. The top of the spire is at 1040 feet, a mere 17 feet. With or without the spire, The BofA is taller than any building in Houston and taller than the Library Tower in LA. Period.

Unread 12-07-2011, 11:04 AM

855 posts, read 937,262 times
Quote:
Atlanta's Bank of America Plaza (to the roof) - 933' - (to the spire) - 1,040'

Houston's Chase Tower - 1,002'

Houston's One Shell Plaza (to the tip of the antennae) - 1,000'

Houston's Wells Fargo Plaza - 992'

LA's US Bank Tower - 1,018'

Not even that huge of a difference with a spire.
Houston may have a taller overall skyline than Atlanta, but Atlanta still has the tallest building outside of NYC and Chicago. No matter how you skew the actual height of the buildings, Atlanta's BofA building is taller than anything in Houston or LA. Get over it!

Unread 12-07-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You information is incorrect. The roof of the BofA tower is 1023 feet. The top of the spire is at 1040 feet, a mere 17 feet. With or without the spire, The BofA is taller than any building in Houston and taller than the Library Tower in LA. Period.
Are you talking the needle on top or the whole structure of the spire?

There's no way in hell that whole top hat of the spire is 17 feet tall, no way.

With the way your local economy is looking, you won't be getting anymore buildings for awhile so keep dreaming of a Mandarin Hotel to help you.

Oil is up & so are Houston's proposed buildings for its skyline. 5 Allen Center should be going up anytime now. The medical field ain't going nowhere either & that's one skyline to look out for.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-07-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Unread 12-07-2011, 11:32 AM

5,412 posts, read 5,031,196 times
Here we go round the mulberry tree...mulberry tree...the mulberry tree , my Post 433 says it all " it's official NYC , Chicago , Miami , Houston , Los Angeles , Dallas and Atlanta tied for 6Th place as the United States Tallest Skyline.

User:Raime/Skyline rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unread 12-07-2011, 11:39 AM

6,208 posts, read 5,771,194 times
Quote:

With the way your local economy is looking, you won't be getting anymore buildings for awhile so keep dreaming of a Mandarin Hotel to help you.

Oil is up & so are Houston's proposed buildings for its skyline. 5 Allen Center should be going up anytime now. The medical field ain't going nowhere either & that's one skyline to look out for.
You see right there, you don't understand what the spire is on that building. The spire is that, what you call, "needle at top" and is really more of an obelisk. It sits on top of the crown which is a casing and support structure for the building's counterweight. Seeing as how a supertall skyscraper without a counterweight is useless as it wouldn't stay up for very long (and keep the people on the top floor from throwing up every 5 minutes) discounting it is frankly asinine. FWIW, all of this wouldn't even be discussed if the original plan for the building had been completed and the crown was covered.

Unread 12-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You see right there, you don't understand what the spire is. The spire is that, what you call, "needle at top". It sits on top of the crown which is a casing and support structure for the building's counterweight. Seeing as how a supertall skyscraper without a counterweight is useless as it wouldn't stay up for very long (and keep the people on the top floor from throwing up every 5 minutes) discounting it is frankly asinine. FWIW, all of this wouldn't even be discussed if the original plan for the building had been completed and the crown was covered.
Why does it need a counter weight anyways?

Willis (Sears) Tower doesn't have a counter weight & neither do most of the world's other tallest buildings.

Nice gimmick though.

BOA ain't Taipei 101

Unread 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM

1,373 posts, read 670,901 times
Quote:

Shut up !!! Your starting to sound like whining toddler. There's nothing u can do about BOA being the tallest outside of NYC and Chicago.Your Ranting for no reason .. get over its recorded as being the tallest so would u please.

Last edited by Staysean23; 12-07-2011 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.