Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:31 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I beg to differ. I doubt the OP just wants to settle for some "la-de-da multicultural/diverse" city where in reality, every race is at each others throats like in NYC, Philly, Chicago, or Miami; Or better yet, every other race is aligned against a particular underrepresented minority, i.e. how every other race in the Northeast is generally anti-black or people in the Southwest cities that are anti-Latino).

As for the most integrated city, the best places are either west of the Mississippi River (a given), or if they want to stick east, don't rely on city centers/downtowns, but look for neighborhoods and communities that were built (not gentrified, but built) after the 1970s. In the DC area for example, places such as Reston, Herndon, Falls Church, Silver Spring, Takoma, and a FEW other places that are legitimately integrated were either recently developed in the past few decades or were revitalized. Even though the city itself (and the bordering places like Arlington, Alexandria, and Bethesda) are pretty diverse, this usually is seen during the "working" or "leisure" hours; and during the leisure hours, people tend to either stay in racially monolithic cliques or the whites will usually have a sprinkle of "model minorities" with them. And even though a lot of gentrification is occurring within the district, many people who move to these places tend to have a more "subdue" racial tension towards the minorities that formerly lived there and are still visible (and I'm not just talking about the uneducated and crime causing ones, but this lingering hatred is targeted towards all people of that particular race).

So this is the complicated case for racial integration in the DC area in my eyes. It's better than your "average joe" American city, but is pathetic when compared with most cities out West - the irony being that the most westward you go within the DC area itself, the more racially integrated it gets.
That's intersting...I'm very serious about trying to move to the US in a couple of years, and would prefer an area with less racial tension. I'm interested in Boston, is that city more or less racially integrated than average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,109 times
This study was done in 2002 and with the mass migration of bay area folks I think it may still be the case.

Welcome to America's Most Diverse City - Sacramento
Welcome to America's Most Diverse City - TIME

Old 04-10-2009, 10:56 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Probably anywhere in California [esp the Bay Area & Los Angeles]. Inter-racial marriages are the highest in California & there is no taboo compared to the South.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
This study was done in 2002 and with the mass migration of bay area folks I think it may still be the case.

Welcome to America's Most Diverse City - Sacramento
Welcome to America's Most Diverse City - TIME
I was going to mention Sacramento too. I hear Long Beach is also fairly diverse/integrated as well.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:12 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Most racially integrated cities are

Long Beach
Houston
Sacramento
Los Angeles
Dallas

no one else near that level

Old 04-11-2009, 10:44 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's intersting...I'm very serious about trying to move to the US in a couple of years, and would prefer an area with less racial tension. I'm interested in Boston, is that city more or less racially integrated than average?
Unless you're Asian (South Indian or Oriental), Boston would probably be one of the considerations when it comes to cities that have peaceful and consensual racial integration.

I'd just stick to the cities that have already been mentioned.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:16 PM

93,266 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Most racially integrated cities are

Long Beach
Houston
Sacramento
Los Angeles
Dallas

no one else near that level
Actually Queens is the most diverse county in the US.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:22 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,681,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually Queens is the most diverse county in the US.
Keyword "county".
And diversity doesn't = integration.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:29 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was thinking, in a way minorities in cities with fewer minorities would be less likely to be type-cast and less likely to live in segregated areas. Sacramento, I always thought, was a very white city, so I suppose many of the blacks there can't help but integrate.
Not necessarily. Omaha his predominantly white at 75%. Minorities make up 25% of the population and Omaha is segregated. Most of the Blacks are concentrated in North Omaha and most of the Hispanics are concentrated in South Omaha.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:47 PM

93,266 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Keyword "county".
And diversity doesn't = integration.
True and I think some parts are integrated and others aren't so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City