Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:03 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times

Advertisements

Uptown,Rogers Park, Albany Park in Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,533 times
Miami, Boston, New York Everyone likes to agree with new york and miami the reason i choose boston is because the races in the city are split african american and irish american i say this because boston has had riots because of resegregating the blacks into irish parts of boston and for awhile there was the largest ammounts of skinheads and straight edge in boston in the country. Its not as bad as it use to be but its still very segregated. Im not saying the irish are racist in boston but alot of the community dont want other races in it.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Toronto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Sacramento
Pretty much. Toronto has outdone essentially every other city in the world in being hugely diverse yet integrated, safe, clean, and an attractive destination for the immigrant from the developing world and developed world alike.

In the US, my thoughts would be Columbus, Sacramento, Seattle, Denver, Houston, pretty much almost all of the integrated cities here are in the West. And even none of those compare to integration in Canada.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but the vast majority of US cities not mentioned are very segregated. Worst of all in the rust belt, St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Detroit, where huge amounts of black and white unskilled labour moved and eventually lost their jobs.

The Northeast? Give me a break. There are things the Northeast does better than every other region, transit, economy, diversity, etc. But integration is not one of those. I could not, with a clear conscience, tell any unsuspecting fool that DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, or Boston were havens of ethnic mingling.

Many Southern cities may be mixed, practically speaking, but it is because of the large number of blacks and certainly not for lack of want to keep it the opposite. There are fewer dichotomies, but it doesn't mean that people necessary get along better.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:53 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Pretty much. Toronto has outdone essentially every other city in the world in being hugely diverse yet integrated, safe, clean, and an attractive destination for the immigrant from the developing world and developed world alike.

In the US, my thoughts would be Columbus, Sacramento, Seattle, Denver, Houston, pretty much almost all of the integrated cities here are in the West. And even none of those compare to integration in Canada.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but the vast majority of US cities not mentioned are very segregated. Worst of all in the rust belt, St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Detroit, where huge amounts of black and white unskilled labour moved and eventually lost their jobs.

The Northeast? Give me a break. There are things the Northeast does better than every other region, transit, economy, diversity, etc. But integration is not one of those. I could not, with a clear conscience, tell any unsuspecting fool that DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, or Boston were havens of ethnic mingling.

Many Southern cities may be mixed, practically speaking, but it is because of the large number of blacks and certainly not for lack of want to keep it the opposite. There are fewer dichotomies, but it doesn't mean that people necessary get along better.

I think that if you want to live in a more integrated city in the Northeast, you are better off living in what I call a mid major or smaller city. Syracuse is better than the bigger cities in the region. College towns in the region seem to be better too. In NY State, I would say that cities like Ithaca, Elmira, Rome or pretty much a city where the people have to use centralized places. What I mean by centralized places is that many of these cities usually just have 1 High School for example.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:57 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
I admittedly don't know much about the mid sized cities, but I cringe when I hear people speaking of the large ones as if they're just light years ahead of everyone else.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:00 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,227 times
Well lets stop the speculation and look at the facts The US Census Bureau does a Housing pattern study every Census among major cities:

Housing Patterns - Table 5-4

Housing Patterns - Table 6-4

Old 05-07-2009, 04:15 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Most racially integrated cities are

Long Beach
Houston
Sacramento
Los Angeles
Dallas

no one else near that level
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Well lets stop the speculation and look at the facts The US Census Bureau does a Housing pattern study every Census among major cities:

Housing Patterns - Table 5-4

Housing Patterns - Table 6-4
The info is from 2000 and only Housing patterns for Blacks and Hispanics, does'nt help much.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM

Here's some more information: Dimensions of Residential Segregation : Rachel’s Tavern (http://www.rachelstavern.com/uncategorized/dimensions-of-residential-segregation.html - broken link)

Housing Patterns - Racial and Ethnic Residential Segregation in the United States: 1980-2000

Most Segregated Cities For Blacks in 2000 : Rachel’s Tavern (http://www.rachelstavern.com/uncategorized/most-and-least-segregated-cities-for-blacks-2000.html - broken link)

Most Segregated Cities For Latinos in 2000 : Rachel’s Tavern (http://www.rachelstavern.com/uncategorized/most-segregated-cities-for-latinos-in-2000.html - broken link)

Least Segregated Cities for Blacks in 2000 : Rachel’s Tavern (http://www.rachelstavern.com/uncategorized/the-least-segregated-cities-for-blacks-in-2000.html - broken link)

Most Segregated Cities for Asians : Rachel’s Tavern (http://www.rachelstavern.com/uncategorized/most-segregated-cities-for-asians-2.html - broken link)

Most and Least Segregated Cities for American Indians and Alaska Natives : Rachel’s Tavern (http://www.rachelstavern.com/uncategorized/most-and-least-segregated-cities-for-native-americans.html - broken link)

and more here: Most and Least Segregated Cities Series : Rachel’s Tavern (http://www.rachelstavern.com/most-and-least-segregated-cities-series - broken link)

Old 05-07-2009, 04:57 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
Parts of Jersey City.

Queens is like that in some parts also.

Montclair, NJ is also very integrated.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:00 PM

Some more on this:Racial Segregation in the U.S.

A good map to see the percentages of certain racial groups in particular census tracts of a city: http://maps.s4.brown.edu/mapusa/query.htm

another map: http://mumford.albany.edu/msa/frame_maps.htm

the state of public school integration

Spatial Structures in the Social Sciences: Projects

American Communities Project: Census Data and Analysis Pages

Metro City Info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City