U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-04-2009, 09:46 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,297,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I see what you are saying, but there never has or ever will be anything progressive about alabama
I can think of 10 things progressive about Alabama:

1. The NASA Space Center in Huntsville.
2. Birgmingham clubs open and pouring 24/7.
3. The Vulcan Statue in B'ham - largest cast iron statue in the world.
4. Excellent public universities - UAB, University of Alabama, Auburn University.
5. Excellent college football.
6. Condoleezma Rice, former U.S. Secretary of State.
7. Mardis Gras in Mobile.
8. Rosa Parks
9. The Southern Poverty Law Center
10. The Civil Rights Memorial in Montgomery

Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,265,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

4. Excellent public universities - UAB, University of Alabama, Auburn University.
8. Rosa Parks

1. History makes a state progressive?
2. If you want to party with hicks then have fun
3. See #1
4. A college does not make a state progressive. Every state has them
5. Cf makes a state progressive (doesnt every state have cf)?
6. A politician makes a place progressive
7. See #2
8. See #1
9. A law center makes a state progressive?
10. See #1

Hey, I will give alabama this....... all of the wal marts make alabama VERY progressive. LOL

Start a poll with the headline "is alabama progressive". Then tell me the results.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:54 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,029,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
1. History makes a state progressive?
2. If you want to party with hicks then have fun
3. History.
4. A college does not make a state progressive. Every state has them
5. Cf makes a state progressive (doesnt every state have cf)?
6. A politician makes a place progressive
7. See #2
8. See #1
9. A law center makes a place progressive
10. See #1

Hey, I will give alabama this....... all of the wal marts makes alabama VERY progressive. LOL

Start a poll with the headline "is alabama progressive". Then tell me the results.
They also have the only statue to an insect... The boll weevil, in commemoration to helping the slaves work harder picking cotton.

If this is not progressive, I'm not sure what is. I have a lot of family in Alabama, I am allowed to make fun of it.

speaking of progressive sports... since that was also thrown out there...

know what else is progressive? their mascots...

go montgomery biscuits!!! mmm gonna eat me sum of dem biscuits. reckon u make me sum biscuits.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:32 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,241,257 times
The Biscuits??? WTH??? lol

Old 04-05-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The Biscuits??? WTH??? lol
Maybe that is why Alabama has a obesity problem?

Old 04-05-2009, 05:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,924,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

8. Rosa Parks

Ya, it firgures, you would think Bama's "progressive". Although you're a BIG fan of Georgia, so it stands to reason!......

Old 04-05-2009, 07:10 PM

4,994 posts, read 10,468,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
(Alabama)They also have the only statue to an insect... The boll weevil, in commemoration to helping the slaves work harder picking cotton. If this is not progressive, I'm not sure what is. I have a lot of family in Alabama, I am allowed to make fun of it.
WHAT? Sorry grapico, but I hope you're joking.

The boll wevil statue is because the boll weevil DESTROYED cotton crops. This forced local farmers to search for a different crop, which was a GOOD thing because cotton wears out the soil. They began growing PEANUTS, thanks to scientist Booker T. Washington (a black man). Peanuts was a very successful and lucrative crop...so in the end, the farmers were grateful to the boll weevil for forcing them to diversify from cotton.

You can read about it here Boll Weevil Monument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and here Boll Weevil Monument

OTOH, Deaconj, there is no point in arguing with NYC1Day because he hates the South, and Alabama in particular, and he is ALWAYS right. Yeah.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:12 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,029,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post

The boll wevil statue is because the boll weevil DESTROYED cotton crops. This forced local farmers to search for a different crop, which was a GOOD thing because cotton wears out the soil. They began growing PEANUTS, thanks to scientist Booker T. Washington (a black man). Peanuts was a very successful and lucrative crop...so in the end, the farmers were grateful to the boll weevil for forcing them to diversify from cotton.

You can read about it here Boll Weevil Monument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and here Boll Weevil Monument
Yes I am joking...I have seen the statue in person ;p

Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:

OTOH, Deaconj, there is no point in arguing with NYC1Day because he hates the South, and Alabama in particular, and he is ALWAYS right. Yeah.
You are from ALABAMA.

Your opinion means nothing to me

Bye ya'll

Old 04-05-2009, 09:17 PM

3,196 posts, read 3,255,154 times
Quote:
They built a monument to a BUG???? Wow--now that's a new one!!! Do they know this on Saturday Night Live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City