U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 AM

2,059 posts, read 3,180,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
DC got (oops have you) on that one. You put down "I have never ate" but I think you should have said "I haven't ever eaten" (please don't be wrong) or "I have never eaten". I'm not studying English right now so a real teacher can correct me.
its kind of funny to me how he is making fun of the south, but he lives in d.c.

people on this thread have had this discussion before and its about 50/50 both ways on whether or not if dc is the north or south.

even if he does consider it the north he is 15 minutes away from va and that is definately southern

thanks

Old 03-16-2009, 10:21 AM

2,758 posts, read 3,232,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post

people on this thread have had this discussion before and its about 50/50 both ways on whether or not if dc is the north or south.

even if he does consider it the north he is 15 minutes away from va and that is definately southern

thanks
No big deal. You probably were not even thinking about grammar when typing. You even caught me using "have" instead of "has" (I fixed it though).

Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 AM

8,410 posts, read 9,211,124 times
Quote:
stop.... your freaking me out
Down south we would say...

You're freaking me out.....NOT....

"your freaking me out"

Would that make us progressive?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:58 AM

28,012 posts, read 10,421,668 times
Quote:

thanks
I don't live in D.C. I live in Arkansas---the deep south. And I was pointing out that the grammatical error you were guilty of is linguistically more common in the South. That, juxtaposed with the reference to "grits", makes it a uniquely Southern sentence in terms of its composition.

I certainly wasn't making fun of the South. I'm a big fan of the South. I'm not a big fan of people calling the South "backwards", and I find it amusing when people say urban centers like Atlanta or Dallas aren't really "Southern". They exist in the South, don't they. The difference isn't in culture, it's in money. Urban centers have more capital to spend on improvements, therefore this entire thread is about bashing "rural" versus "urban" areas.

Last edited by DC at the Ridge; 03-16-2009 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: too much time with 5yr old nephew this weekend

Old 03-16-2009, 12:48 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,112,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Florida? I think alot more states are backwards then florida. But that's just me.
They have a point about Florida...

Not only is Florida still part of the South, but we also have a lot of senior citizens here, who sometimes refer to the "good old days" of their youth and plan the functions of the state according to principles that died out elsewhere many years ago.... which is not neccesarily a bad thing, but it certainly isnt "progressive new ideas" like other areas....

It's fine with me, I prefer the simpler way of life to the fast paced techno-crazed society in CA or NY or other "progressive" states.....

Old 03-16-2009, 01:03 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,880,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No, it's probably in Silicon valley. If the newest technology were in Seattle or the Bay area, my dad would have moved us there years ago.
You don't think that Bill Gates and his crew, are on the 'cutting egde' of "technology"?....... You say your old man is in the "IT business", don't you think he'd agree?

Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 PM

13,155 posts, read 12,245,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No, it's probably in Silicon valley. If the newest technology were in Seattle or the Bay area, my dad would have moved us there years ago.
Ok. Well the westcoast in general has more hi-tech opprotunities then the east and the south and the midwest. The westcoast is the most technologically superior of all the US regions. NY has it's fare share, but it's no way near comparable to California.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM

2,153 posts, read 3,384,241 times
If being progressive means running a state like NY or CA is run, please for the love of god place me in a backwards state.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:26 PM

13,155 posts, read 12,245,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
They have a point about Florida...

Not only is Florida still part of the South, but we also have a lot of senior citizens here, who sometimes refer to the "good old days" of their youth and plan the functions of the state according to principles that died out elsewhere many years ago.... which is not neccesarily a bad thing, but it certainly isnt "progressive new ideas" like other areas....

It's fine with me, I prefer the simpler way of life to the fast paced techno-crazed society in CA or NY or other "progressive" states.....
I wouldnt necesarily call it "backwards" though. It may not be on the same level as CA, but it aint as slow paced like mississippi, or parts of the rural north that i've been to. Yeah theres alot of old people, but that's just the westcoast of florida. Miami isnt exactly what I would call a backwards city. It's pretty progressive in my opinion. i think the whole south florida region is pretty progressive. I mean Florida was a blue state lol, people often forget that. And it's the fourth largest cyberstate.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:55 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,180,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't live in D.C. I live in Arkansas---the deep south. And I was pointing out that the grammatical error you were guilty of is linguistically more common in the South. That, juxtaposed with the reference to "grits", makes it a uniquely Southern sentence in terms of its composition.

I certainly wasn't making fun of the South. I'm a big fan of the South. I'm not a big fan of people calling the South "backwards", and I find it amusing when people say urban centers like Atlanta or Dallas aren't really "Southern". They exist in the South, don't they. The difference isn't in culture, it's in money. Urban centers have more capital to spend on improvements, therefore this entire thread is about bashing "rural" versus "urban" areas.
Dallas, Atlanta, etc have a slightly southern feel and its nothing wrong with that.

But, they dont have the deep south redneck/hick feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City