U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which is the Stadium best?
Dallas Cowboys Stadium 16 59.26%
Meadowlands Stadium 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 03:05 AM

10 posts, read 11,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
whether or not other major cities "deserve" a super bowl or could draw big ratings is completely besides the point.

the nfl has a strict policy about super bowl locations, and made a one-time exception for the nyc market - not because the new meadowlands stadium is necessarily better or has a superior game day atmosphere than the new cowboys stadium (which was your original assertion), but simply for the sake of hosting the game in the nyc area.

now, if the meadowlands super bowl goes really well with no major logistical issues, is it possible that the league could begin to award the super bowl to other open-air cold weather sites in the future? maybe, but that's highly speculative at this time.

if serious weather-related issues arise during the meadowlands super bowl, then that pretty much kills any chance of the game being awarded to other cold weather/outdoor stadiums. you have to look at this as a one-time thing until the league says otherwise (and we won't know until february 2014 at the earliest).

the bottom line is that there's a very obvious reason, clearly stated by the nfl, why the new meadowlands stadium was chosen as a super bowl site despite the league's longstanding policy against awarding the game to outdoor/cold weather sites. it's because the nyc market is perceived as being so large, unique, and lucrative that it's worth the one-time risk.

even if places like the d.c. area and chicago and foxboro/boston get future super bowls, it'll never change the fact that the nyc area was used as the guinea pig for cold weather super bowls specifically because of its location in the nation's largest and most high-profile market.
No matter how cold the weather conditions get in the Meatropolitan Area - It won't make any difference. The 2007 NFC Championship game between The Giants and Packers is proof that cold weather championship games can be great for football no matter how serious the conditions get. If the NFC Championship can handle the cold weather in Green Bay, Then The SuperBowl can handle Cold weather in The New York, New Jersey Metropolitan Area. Redskins owners have already decided to make a bid for the 2015 SuperBowl next year and the league has not refused their rights to do so. FedEx Field is better than any stadium in Florida and better than any dome stadium, Therefore it stands to reason Washington could be next. Don't count on New York being the one time cold weather SuperBowl game. Wether or not New York was used as a guinea pig to start off an era of cold weather SuperBowls doesn't matter, The Point is - Every Major Market City with great stadiums deserves a fair chance. More fans these days are getting sick and tired of seeing the big game in the same old places all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 AM

13,344 posts, read 13,588,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason77 View Post
Meadowlands Stadium hasn't even been around long and already has played one of the World Cup Soccer Tournament and has been stamped for the 2014 SuperBowl. We didn't need a retractable roof for The SuperBowl and The World Cup. The atmosphere is just that good. Cowboys Stadium does have to have a roof to get those big events and more. The Real proof that Meadowlands Stadium is better than Cowboys Stadium. Football just isn't Football without the icey cold weather conditions. We call it Real Football Wether.
You do know that Cowboys Stadium is hosting this upcoming Super Bowl.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:00 AM

13,344 posts, read 13,588,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
As a football purest I love homefield advantage up to and including the Conferance championships, beyond that i believe the better weather/domes provide the best environment to host the superbowl. This will be an interesting experiment but i do hope this is the exception and not the rule. Last year the weather for the super bowl in the NE was actually ok, a week earlier or a week later, ugh
EXACTLY. I agree. Why in the HECK, would ANYONE want the elements to be the deciding factor in the BIGGEST sporting event in America? We want to see the BEST players play to there full potential without any hindrance, that's why I'm apposed to Superbowls up North(If the stadium isn't domed) Especially since MY Miami Dolphins are gonna be playing in the SB this coming season.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Meadowlands is not in NYC. You can see both the Dallas and FW skyline from Cowboys Stadium. Fact is, the stadium is close to the geographic center of the DFW metroplex.

This is really no contest. The only reason the two are in the same ballpark costwise is because of the price of land, labor and materials in the NE. Cowboys Stadium was mostly built with local materials. Concrete, turf, steel, screens, all manufactured with local materials. Much cheaper labor. Much cheaper land. Cowboys Stadium could easily have been a $2 billion project anywhere else.
The Meadowlands is only 4 miles away from Manhattan with a great view of NYC's Skyline and the Empire State Building. The stadium may be in New Jersey, But it's one part of the Garden State that has a solid New York atmosphere. Today they even have a Subway line that connects The Meadowlands to Manhattan.

It's no different than Cowboys Stadium in Arlington Texas having a great view of the Great Dallas Skyline - Giving Cowboys Stadium a great Dallas atmosphere.

Because of this - The Tailgating is equally great in both areas.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You do know that Cowboys Stadium is hosting this upcoming Super Bowl.
I'm very much aware of that Polo. I'm not implying that The Meadowlands Stadium is better because they are hosting the SuperBowl. If I gave that impression - I apologize. I'm just stating that I honestly feel that The Meadowlands Stadium is just more advanced than Cowboys Stadium. I wish I new how to place pictures on this thing so I can show you the actual difference right where it counts.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:31 PM

8,984 posts, read 8,735,532 times
Quote:
The Meadowlands is only 4 miles away from Manhattan with a great view of NYC's Skyline and the Empire State Building. The stadium may be in New Jersey, But it's one part of the Garden State that has a solid New York atmosphere. Today they even have a Subway line that connects The Meadowlands to Manhattan.

It's no different than Cowboys Stadium in Arlington Texas having a great view of the Great Dallas Skyline - Giving Cowboys Stadium a great Dallas atmosphere.

You can barely see the Dallas skyline from Cowboys Stadium. And it's only in spots. There is not a Dallas atmosphere around the stadium. It feels like Arlington or Fort Worth.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
You can barely see the Dallas skyline from Cowboys Stadium. And it's only in spots. There is not a Dallas atmosphere around the stadium. It feels like Arlington or Fort Worth.
In a perfect sports world - All teams in all sports would be in a good position to build a stadium or an arena right at the heart of the city they represent. But were not living in a perfect world - So you take what you can get. There's no room to build a stadium at the heart of Dallas any more than there's room to build a stadium in New York's Manhattan area without causing major traffic problems. The next best thing is to build as close to the territory as possible. New York Giants and Jets owners did a great job in designing their stadium close to Manhattan at an angle where fans could have a direct view of the Manhattan Skyline from the front of the stadium, and from the back a decent long range view of Newark, N.J. right from the parking lot.

Jerry Jones could have done better for his stadium location as far as Cowboys stadium is concerned, But nonetheless - At least it is located at a comfortable secluded area - Not that far from Dallas.

This is at least one solid advantage Meadowlands Stadium has over Cowboys Stadium. The City atmophere is better, which makes the Tailgate more luxurious. In the Meadowlands - New York Football fans will tailgate from the New York View side and New Jersey Football fans will tailgate from the Jersey side. Either way it's fun for everybody from both states. In Cowboys stadium - The tailgating is great, but not as good of a view of Dallas.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
EXACTLY. I agree. Why in the HECK, would ANYONE want the elements to be the deciding factor in the BIGGEST sporting event in America? We want to see the BEST players play to there full potential without any hindrance, that's why I'm apposed to Superbowls up North(If the stadium isn't domed) Especially since MY Miami Dolphins are gonna be playing in the SB this coming season.
People often belive that stat numbers usually determine the best players in the league. In reality - The ones who play their best game in cold weather conditions are the real best players in the league. It all comes down to who can take the most.

For example:

Tom Brady draws better stat numbers than Peyton Manning, But Everyone knows Peyton Manning is the Best QB in the league, Partly beacause he plays better cold wether football than Brady. Brady usually has a stonger support group which enables him to get better numbers.

Tony Romo has better stat numbers than Eli Manning, But Eli plays better through the cold than Romo does. Despite Eli's banged up ankle last year in K.C. - He had a break out year. Romo could not have done as well playing several weeks with a heavy ankle sprain.

If Truth be Told: Any player in this league can play their best during warm climates and dome stadiums, But cold wether conditions has a way of bringing out a players TRUE capabilities. Nature's way of really letting the world know what they're made of. If the Saints were to play The Giants in New York during the playoffs this season in sub zero type weather conditions - What are the Odds the Saints would win against a proven good cold weather football team like The Giants ?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 AM

12,344 posts, read 14,040,909 times
Quote:

Theres no subway line. But they built a rail line a few miles of the line i use to connect to Hoboken Terminal. Its called the sports line , my friend made a video of it.

YouTube - Sports line time lapse

Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 746 times
new meadown lands is easily the best and should host 2018/2022 world cup finals if it come to usa. cowboys stadium has a nice tv but the football team sucks and the outside it butt ugly lmao stupid texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City