Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city to shop?
Los Angelas 45 70.31%
Houston 4 6.25%
Dallas 9 14.06%
Miami 6 9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Well, in 2007 they (H&M) said they planned to "increase the number of new stores by 10% to 15% per year." So Texas should see some sooner or later, there's only so many other places they can expand into.
Oh I see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,599 times
Not even nyc compares to the L.A shopping experience
Nyc has macys and 5th ave like L.A got forever 21 & rodeo drive but the fashion district in downtown los angeles is best in the nation do you got your local swapmeets and premiere malls of america L.A has it all it's the entertainment capital so all the movie stars in L.A set the bar for the rest of the world in fashion & shopping

Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times
I think NYC has more of the upscale shopping than LA though LA has a lot of it. More than any other city outside of NYC. Overall I think LA offers more than NYC when it comes to shopping. LA's fashion district downtown can be epic. You can buy damn near ANYTHING there and haggle your own price. The best part is that LA's fashion district isn't some trendy contrivance, it's been around forever, or at least longer than I've been alive lol It's very organic, original and amazing. Any style, any material, any accessory, anything you want/need can be found there. Right downtown. It certainly beats Dallas, Houston and Miami.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 PM

419 posts, read 998,148 times
Miami> the rest

Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,599 times
Well upscale shopping in new york & L.A are prolly tied 5th ave & rodeo drive are for the big spenders
I think new york city core is times square where in L.A it could be the downtown fashion center the beverly center hollywood blvd....I mean it's bigger than N.Y so it's not really fair outside of manhattan i feel where new york malls come into play i heard it's a big mall in queens and another thing new york has is the nba store and the biggest toy store in america......texas has alot of shopping because it's a giant state but overall entertainment I've seen celebs in the L.A malls every given weekend plus nothing beats california kitchen and fat burger

Old 07-25-2012, 05:16 AM

64 posts, read 154,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I lived in SoCal for four years. I love Los Angeles to this day in its own way but those scenes I've actually been to. From Robertson to Melrose to the Sunset Strip to Santa Monica Main to Colorado Blvd to Rodeo...it's all the SAME type of sidewalks and buildings! Same type of foot traffic. Just a tourist trap. No sense of personal walkways among the busy hordes ala Houston's Buffalo Bayou adjacent to the Theater District or the walkway along the Woodlands Waterway.

In actuality I really do love Wilshire at Western but I actually got put off by L.A.'s superficiality when I wanted to watch a movie in Old Town Pasadena. I got out, looked at the "I'm think I'm cool" vibe, changed my mind. Superficial. So L.A. I got in my car and drove out of there. It doesn't really seem any different than Santa Monica.

Downtown L.A. has an interesting shopping district...for shame that the whitebreads avoid it. I've had some interesting days there as I was always fond of the Central Library.

Houston, now that's a more interesting sense of space even in the context of a flat city. There are bungalows and Victorian houses converted to COLORFUL bars and shops with UNIQUE character...stuff not commonly seen in more conventional Los Angeles. I have never found anything like Agora Ka in L.A. or San Diego.

Yet there is the Montrose with a mix of conventional Melrose-type storefronts and oddball bungalows, a Houston thing.

There are clapboards along the Kemah Lighthouse District that have different spacing and arrangement from Old Town Spring in north Houston. Just the vibe is so, so different from the Uptown Galleria area.

Rice Village is sort of like a Little Santa Monica in a grid, very villagey. But really, Santa Monica Promenade is really a mall without the roof. Or just Disney.

19th Street has its own street angles that mixes Melrose with Mayberry in a genuine, natural way. It is an old shopping area with a nouveaux artsy feel.

Houston's Galleria area is similar to Century City. Houston's New Chinatown is similar to the San Gabriel Valley. Highland Village is Rodeo Drive with a parking lot. So...there are similarities between the two cities in ways...

Los Angeles in terms VARIETY of vibe and street texture...has NOTHING on Houston. I have walked down Robertson St. and said to myself...so what is so different in overall character of this place than Santa Monica or Sunset at Doheny? Where's the vibe? The sidewalks probably measure the same. Westwood Village is only a bit different in that it is not necessarily a parallel configuration...but the sidewalks and structures are standard.

19th Street ain't nothing like West Gray in Houston. That's a certainty coming from someone who's lived in SoCal and Houston for multiple years.

Houston is eccentric and I don't consider it "anytown" USA. Los Angeles is just a template of similar streets that just happen to have a gazillion shops.

Sitting in Onion Creek Cafe in an "urban rustic" street like White Oak is a vastly different one than having some cappuccino at Coco's in Midtown Houston. It's very pleasing in an organic way...not touristy or superficial. That's what I LOVE about H-town. Much variety of places to eat or imbibe or shop without feeling you are some color tourguide brochure fodder.

Standing in Old Town Pasadena along Colorado just never struck me as being that different than standing along Main St. in Santa Monica. Heck, even downtown Santa Ana has the same traditional sidewalk/storefronts. Just different demographics and types of shops.

Yeah, there's the "excitement" of L.A. but it's just sameness of pace and street scape for the most part. Here in Houston, I'll take the variety of street angles that range from semi-rustic to ultra-modern existing in this contrasting urban patchwork.
Oh brother here we go again, this guy never seizes to amaze me with his weird obsession of sidewalks

Old 07-25-2012, 05:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Miami> the rest
You should explore other cities more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City