Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city to shop?
Los Angelas 45 70.31%
Houston 4 6.25%
Dallas 9 14.06%
Miami 6 9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

For example, Im always buying a ton of fabrics.

There is a like an entire block or 2 that sells only fabrics. You can get expensive silks that cost $50 a yard elsewhere for only $7 in Downtown LA. Many places sell quality fabrics for only $1-$2 a yard but would usually cost three or four times as much.

As a result Im down in LA thrice monthly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 07:44 PM

33 posts, read 136,631 times
L.A babyyyy come on its the shopping mecca!! where all the trends start and end by influence of celebs!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,035 times
LA by far. Surprised no one voted for Miami yet.

I would also add Las Vegas and Scottsdale (If you are talking about upscale shopping).

Old 03-18-2009, 08:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
LA, not even close, then NYC after that. then another gap where you then have Chicago, SF and Dallas.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
The best shopping cities are New York City and Los Angeles. The rest of the cities I would say are equal.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:15 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,056 times
LA
Miami

Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 AM

188 posts, read 520,901 times
I can see how Los Angeles could be the capital with its vast amounts of ritzy upscale shopping districts, and the fact that SoCal practically invented the American shopping culture...

But I can assure you that in terms of sheer volume of stores/transactions being made/revenues generated, the stores in Dallas would be on the top of the list. I'm not going by stereotypes, I'm just giving honest observations.

Is it anywhere as glamorous of what you would find in California? Absolutely not. But people in Dallas have more money to spend, more space for storage, and really nothing else to do (in comparison to California), but shop for more crap they don't need. Dallas has such a consumer based culture, there's a reason why economy there is almost 'recession proof.'

Old 03-19-2009, 01:39 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,681,186 times
Not all shopping in LA is ritzy upscale super expensive districts like Rodeo drive if anything there's more malls,strip malls,streets lines with various scales of shops that sell anything from rubber duckies to elephant hides (exaggeration) and you guys are acting like all the shopping was built in the last year..1 1/2-2 years ago the economy was not nearly as bad as it was now and I can assure you people were and still are shopping till there hearts content whether it be fabric a cheap vintage sweater or the latest Louis Vuitton luggage.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:55 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
I can see how Los Angeles could be the capital with its vast amounts of ritzy upscale shopping districts, and the fact that SoCal practically invented the American shopping culture...

But I can assure you that in terms of sheer volume of stores/transactions being made/revenues generated, the stores in Dallas would be on the top of the list. I'm not going by stereotypes, I'm just giving honest observations.

Is it anywhere as glamorous of what you would find in California? Absolutely not. But people in Dallas have more money to spend, more space for storage, and really nothing else to do (in comparison to California), but shop for more crap they don't need. Dallas has such a consumer based culture, there's a reason why economy there is almost 'recession proof.'
The original question by OP was Which place is best to shop?
Obviously most people correlate that to the amount of quality shopping available as seen by the poll.
Oh Texas and the rest of the south, when will you ever get it... most people don't care for BIGGER is BETTER. Big ol average malls, Big ol Trucks and SUVS, Big ol Burgers, Big Ol Steaks, big ol cookie cutter houses, big ol mcmansions
It is quality over quantity, who cares if you have a bunch of people buying crap if none of the stuff is that good?

This isn't only Texas though... Midwest has this problem too at points. Honestly I couldn't care less about fashion, and don't even like Los Angeles...Just callin it like I see it, Chicago is my favorite city and my 2nd home, but it does this for certain things too so I'm not just pickin on Texas.

Last edited by grapico; 03-19-2009 at 05:06 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
If you claim that your city has the best shopping and you use malls to justify your answer, you lose. Sorry. Malls suck. They are the same no matter where you go. Department stores, chain stores, and nothing but boredom when you walk in there. Give me the street front stores anyday over that crap.

The answer is LA. Than Miami. Than a tie between Houston and Dallas though Dallas and Houston has the potential to match Miami in the coming years. They have the income base and the population base to do so. But LA is another beast.

BTW, I must emphasize that malls suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City