Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:45 AM

617 posts, read 1,422,895 times

Advertisements

Simple question, what are the top 5 most famous police departments in the nation? The departments could be famous or infamous as long as they are famous. My picks would be:
  1. NYPD
  2. LAPD
  3. Miami Vice
  4. NOPD
  5. Chicago PD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 02:51 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,373 times
Miami Vice? All it took was one TV show in the 80's to make the MPD #3?

SFPD has quite a history.

But really, only NYPD and LAPD are famous, due to the fact that about 95% of all police T.V shows/movies feature one of those two departments.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Miami Vice? All it took was one TV show in the 80's to make the MPD #3?

SFPD has quite a history.

But really, only NYPD and LAPD are famous, due to the fact that about 95% of all police T.V shows/movies feature one of those two departments.
So who would you put in front of Miami?

Old 02-12-2011, 03:03 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Los Angeles Police Department should be listed. They were the ones that created the S.W.A.T team in 1969 to combat high level offenses and extremely deadly criminals. Their police department has to be one of the most famous and one of the best known and influential ones in the country. There are countries like India for example that took the concept of the S.W.A.T team and created their own specialized high offense divisions for their police departments to fight dangerous level criminals. That is pretty influential if I must say so myself.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:11 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
So who would you put in front of Miami?
Chicago, Boston, San Francisco. However, my point remains that after LAPD and NYPD, there really doesn't need to be a list.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Los Angeles Police Department should be listed. They were the ones that created the S.W.A.T team in 1969 to combat high level offenses and extremely deadly criminals. Their police department has to be one of the most famous and one of the best known and influential ones in the country. There are countries like India for example that took the concept of the S.W.A.T team and created their own specialized high offense divisions for their police departments to fight dangerous level criminals. That is pretty influential if I must say so myself.
Were those the same guys who liberated the Taj Hotel in Mumbai in 2008?

Old 02-12-2011, 03:27 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Quote:
Were those the same guys who liberated the Taj Hotel in Mumbai in 2008?
No idea, but probably. But the name of the department that S.W.A.T team inspired in India is A.T.S and they handled the 1993 Bombay Bombings, 1991 Shootout in Mumbai, & a number of other things. They recently in the last few years made a movie on it, and they gave the city of Los Angeles & Los Angeles Police Department's innovative idea to form the S.W.A.T team a special shout out. I learned about it in the movie and looked up on it a lot, and things started getting interesting. I looked up some crazy stuff like the most wanted men in the world and all that junk, learned a lot and I will tell you straight up the Los Angeles Police Department has no equals.

Excerpt:
Quote:
The then Additional Commissioner of Mumbai Police Aftab Ahmed Khan, popularly known as A.A.Khan, is the founder of ATS He was inspired by Los Angeles Police Department's Special Weapons & Tactics (SWAT) to take control over modern-day terrorism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_Te...t_Squad_(India)
You can watch the movie too, it'll give lots of explanations for all of it.

The way I think of it, a city with some innovation in crime fighting set a trend that a country of 1.1 Billion adopted and implemented throughout all of its major cities and has been successful at saving thousands of lives. In my opinion, that puts Los Angeles up high in this.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
No idea, but probably. But the name of the department that S.W.A.T team inspired in India is A.T.S and they handled the 1993 Bombay Bombings, 1991 Shootout in Mumbai, & a number of other things. They recently in the last few years made a movie on it, and they gave the city of Los Angeles & Los Angeles Police Department's innovative idea to form the S.W.A.T team a special shout out. I learned about it in the movie and looked up on it a lot, and things started getting interesting. I looked up some crazy stuff like the most wanted men in the world and all that junk, learned a lot and I will tell you straight up the Los Angeles Police Department has no equals.

Excerpt:

You can watch the movie too, it'll give lots of explanations for all of it.

The way I think of it, a city with some innovation in crime fighting set a trend that a country of 1.1 Billion adopted and implemented throughout all of its major cities and has been successful at saving thousands of lives. In my opinion, that puts Los Angeles up high in this.
You make some good points about LAPD being influential to law enforcement in India, but I would still have to give the nod to NYPD on a global scale non comes close especially after the 9/11 attacks the NYPD became a household name.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:54 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Simple question, what are the top 5 most famous police departments in the nation? The departments could be famous or infamous as long as they are famous. My picks would be:
  1. NYPD
  2. LAPD
  3. Miami Vice
  4. NOPD
  5. Chicago PD
I can't believe that a Texan posted this list. The most famous police agency, not only in the US, but in the world, is the Texas Rangers. The only possible competition is Scotland Yard (London Metropolitan Police).

http://www.texasranger.org/

Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I can't believe that a Texan posted this list. The most famous police agency not only in the US, but in the world, is the Texas Rangers. The only possible competition is Scotland Yard (London Metropolitan Police).
I was thinking more on a city police department level, if we were to talk about most famous state agencies than of course the Texas Rangers takes the cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City