Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is less southern?
Atlanta 41 18.47%
Dallas 96 43.24%
Houston 85 38.29%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
So you don't see any difference in those 3?
The only difference i notice some people may speak faster or slower depending on the area. Or how they say some words in Georgia that we don't really use in Texas.

Quote:
That's why i said "person from _____" and not "people in _____". Louisiana has to many accents/dialects to choose from. New Orleans has at least 5+, more like 10+, in the metro area alone. From end to next you would hear Dea, Dah, Deh, Dair, and everything in between.

What part of Louisiana is he from?
He's from Monroe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 11:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
So here's my question: if East Texas was its own state, would it be as southern as Georgia?
Yes it would. But with some TEXAS influence. Becaues even certain aspects of east Texas are overlaped by the culture of the rest of Texas. But essentially East Texas is about as southern as Mississippi, and Georgia, and Alabama, ect, ect.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yes. In a way it DOES make it more southern.
So with that reasoning, let's say Dr. King was based out Houston instead of Atlanta, the biggest battle of the Civil War was fought here in Texas, Gone With the Wind was about a girl Houston, and a hundred years later a thousand Confederate monuments are erected around the city. Then Houston would be more southern than Atlanta right?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Take a person from New Orleans or Baton Rouge and than a person from Atlanta and Savannah; Than tell me you don't hear a difference.

The accents are different just between the cities alone.
Agreed. You can DEFINITELY tell the difference between a Louisiana accent and EVERYONE else. Louisiana, AND parts of East Texas have the Cajun creole accents, that sound sort of French. Me being Haitian I SORT of hear an accent similar to that daily from my parents. A lot of the descendents of black in New Orleans are Haitian.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
I set up a poll up in Fort Worth and 80% of the residents so far consider themselves southern and not western.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah, I meant dialect. My bad on the confusion. While those two areas are very distinguished, you can hear the similiarities more between MS/AL speech and Atlanta speech. The same cannot be said for Houston. I'll say again, there isn't a city in the South that sounds like Houston. New Orleans and Miami are the same way and there isn't a place in the South that sounds like them. Dallas dialect is VERY similar to Northern Louisiana though.
I agree about NO and Miami. I think it is once again because of the Caribbean/Haitian factor. NO being a port for Haitian slaves, and Miami being a city FULL of Haitians. Even in terms of hip-hop you'll hear a rapper like Juvenile give a shout out to little haiti in Miami. Or Lil Wayne always chillin in Lil Haiti and trying to speak French and Kreyol. And the spelling between Creole as in mixed race in Louisiana, and Kreyol the language us Haitians speak is distinguisable. I think THAT is the connection between the 2 cities. The south is pretty diverse.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
So with that reasoning, let's say Dr. King was based out Houston instead of Atlanta, the biggest battle of the Civil War was fought here in Texas, Gone With the Wind was about a girl Houston, and a hundred years later a thousand Confederate monuments are erected around the city. Then Houston would be more southern than Atlanta right?
Of course it would. Those are the characteristics and HISTORY of the south.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:16 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Again, what is southerness being based on in this post?
What determines how southern a place is?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:18 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
What city is less southern? Why?
Dallas is less souther, followed by Houston. Even including the suburbs, order would be: Dallas, Houston, Atlanta.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Of course it would. Those are the characteristics and HISTORY of the south.
Hm. I was pretty sure you were gonna say no lol.

With that said, while I do think the history makes Atlanta the cornerstone of the South (as I said before), I just don't think it makes it more southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City