U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:06 PM

908 posts, read 1,810,079 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Chicago for over a decade now and just came back from a two months visit to London. To sum up, I felt a bit like the Country Mouse visiting the City for the first time. I'd always thought Chicago was a big city and attributed many of its problems to that, but now I just feel Chicago doesn't come close to living up to its hype or offsetting its various inadequacies, and certainly doesn't come close to true global cities like London. And to think we are trying for the 2016 Olympics right after London Olympics.

The ride back from O'Hare on the blue line was utterly depressing. The urine soaked stations that already look delapitated just two years after renovation (e.g., Jackson blue line station), the obnoxiously loud and obtrusive passengers, and the grating voice out of the CTA intercom heart-breakingly cut through the little love I had left for Chicago. Sure the London Underground is also worn down (for good reason, it's the oldest subway system in the world), but the Underground workers were polite and patient, the passengers were well-mannered, and there wasn't that utter feeling of despair that riding the CTA at night brings upon you.

Now, let's talk about the parks. London parks on the weekends (even in the winter) is full of families with strollers, picnics, spontaneous performers and just life in general. Chicago's Millennium Park and Grant Park? Outside of preplanned events, there is little to none spontaneous activity in these two parks. Only Lake Shore begs some spontaneous activity, but it's primarily a place for people to exercise.

I felt a strong sense of community in London, while in Chicago it's always been a bunch of disjointed neighborhoods (mostly ghetto and places you would never go to unless you had to) stuck together and called Chicago.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:08 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,177,215 times
London is nice.
My brother is going to school there.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM

731 posts, read 1,817,436 times
Now go to Seoul or Shanghai or Tokyo. No, Chicago isn't the biggest city in the world.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:21 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,177,215 times
Tokyo!

I would be over stimulated.

I dont get the whole comparing Chicago to London.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:28 PM

11,156 posts, read 22,303,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Tokyo!

because dementor has a lot of opinions....

Old 03-22-2009, 07:30 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,286,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I've lived in Chicago for over a decade now and just came back from a two months visit to London. To sum up, I felt a bit like the Country Mouse visiting the City for the first time. I'd always thought Chicago was a big city and attributed many of its problems to that, but now I just feel Chicago doesn't come close to living up to its hype or offsetting its various inadequacies, and certainly doesn't come close to true global cities like London. And to think we are trying for the 2016 Olympics right after London Olympics.

The ride back from O'Hare on the blue line was utterly depressing. The urine soaked stations that already look delapitated just two years after renovation (e.g., Jackson blue line station), the obnoxiously loud and obtrusive passengers, and the grating voice out of the CTA intercom heart-breakingly cut through the little love I had left for Chicago. Sure the London Underground is also worn down (for good reason, it's the oldest subway system in the world), but the Underground workers were polite and patient, the passengers were well-mannered, and there wasn't that utter feeling of despair that riding the CTA at night brings upon you.

Now, let's talk about the parks. London parks on the weekends (even in the winter) is full of families with strollers, picnics, spontaneous performers and just life in general. Chicago's Millennium Park and Grant Park? Outside of preplanned events, there is little to none spontaneous activity in these two parks. Only Lake Shore begs some spontaneous activity, but it's primarily a place for people to exercise.

I felt a strong sense of community in London, while in Chicago it's always been a bunch of disjointed neighborhoods (mostly ghetto and places you would never go to unless you had to) stuck together and called Chicago.
No doubt London is spectacular, but I couldnt deal with their ridiculous roads. Or the maddening cloud cover either.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:34 PM

15,587 posts, read 23,134,748 times
Oh lord. You must have penis envy.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:39 PM

3,592 posts, read 7,690,810 times
"Guineas" is either Dementor or eurous1.

To that end, Ignore List.

To the other end, there are plenty of cities I love and would love to live in scattered across the world. London is not one of them.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,753,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

I've never been to London, but I'm sure Chicago fails in comparision. That being said, look how EXPENSIVE London is. London makes NYC look cheap. Visiting a city like London is a lot different than living in one. London always rank in the top 5 or so, of the world's most expensive cities. NYC places around 17th to give a comparision (maybe not even in the top 20 anymore).

You might like it there, but could you ever afford to live or raise a family there?.... If so, what would your standard of living be like compared to Chicago? You might have a better city, but what would you house or car or bank account look like?....

Old 03-22-2009, 07:42 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,151,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Tokyo!

yeah i dont get it either chicago and london are not only different but they're not even in the same country. let alone continent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or