Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 11:23 PM

608 posts, read 1,707,859 times

Advertisements

This is a dumb thread. How do you classify one city as "more ghetto" than another? Many large cities have ghettos. Some have more poor areas than others. In most cases, all of these cities have some very nice areas and the supposed "ghettos" that people comment on could turn around with a shift in economic currents or as national trends change.

From what I know of cities mentioned in this thread:

Baltimore - has a sizable number of bad neighborhoods, but also has some of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the entire nation. Visit the Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Canton, Patterson Park, Hampden, Mount Vernon, or Charles Village some time. Baltimore will also continue to benefit from rising commodity prices which will push people back into cities with ready-made infrastructure

Atlanta - I really can't think of any good reason Atlanta would make the list unless people equate "ghetto" with large concentrations of black people. There are rough areas in Atlanta, but I've travelled to cities all over the East Coast, Mid-Atlantic, and South and Atlanta is one of the wealthier cities out there. In fact, some of the deep suburbs of ATL have become more ghetto-like than anything inside the Perimeter.

Washington DC - uhhh, have the people who have thrown DC onto the list actually been to DC? DC is one of the wealthiest cities in the nation. Yeah, Anacostia is bad and some neighborhoods in the NE aren't ultrawealthy, but I don't see how it could even remotely qualify as "most ghetto"

Overall, the entire debate is just silly, though. For a lot of these cities, I'd actually like to move there because there is lots of cheap urban property and things will improve over time as national trends shift (as they inevitably will due to the rising costs of oil). Memphis and Baltimore are not bad places to settle if you have the right mentality. If you believe everything that is foreign to you is "ghetto", you don't have the right mentality.

P.S. I grew up in rural, poor Appalachia. I'm not sure that there's some major advantage of living in a poor rural environment as opposed to a poor urban environment. There are lots of poor areas in the nation and not all of them are in the inner cities.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:20 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post

Washington DC - uhhh, have the people who have thrown DC onto the list actually been to DC? DC is one of the wealthiest cities in the nation. Yeah, Anacostia is bad and some neighborhoods in the NE aren't ultrawealthy, but I don't see how it could even remotely qualify as "most ghetto"
I agree. DC is one of the nicest cities that I've ever lived in/visited. There are some bad areas, like in every city, but not very many anymore. It's probably THE most improved city in the nation in the last 10 years. You really have to go out of your way to really get into trouble now.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:49 PM

210 posts, read 845,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponsCollector View Post
I dont know man I drove around Odessa and to me that place was just nasty. Maybe not the most dangerous, but it is a ****hole in my opinion.
Ya I think that makes more sense, b/c it is far from the most ghetto..just not a very nice place.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:24 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
Atlanta may love hip hop but what major city doesn't, Atlanta is home to the fastest growing millionaire population in the country it also has the most black millionaires, the second richest majority black county in the nation, and just the fact that it is the fastest growing metro in the nation for the past 9 years and if it was that ghetto why would people continue to move here, just because Atlanta has a large black population doesn't make it ghetto actually it has a very affluent black population with over half being upper middle class.

there should have been a great hew and cry by those living in the atlanta area after the airing of that ridiculous and embarrassing show about those silly pretentious women, who strove to outdo the other one. goash and tacky. to me, it was the epitome of a black person's stereotype.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:36 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Reading, Allentown, and Harrisburg, PA....and pretty much any city in NJ (Camden, Trenton, Jersey City, Paterson, Atlantic City, Newark all come to mind).

Old 06-05-2009, 01:22 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
This is a dumb thread. How do you classify one city as "more ghetto" than another? Many large cities have ghettos. Some have more poor areas than others. In most cases, all of these cities have some very nice areas and the supposed "ghettos" that people comment on could turn around with a shift in economic currents or as national trends change.

From what I know of cities mentioned in this thread:

Baltimore - has a sizable number of bad neighborhoods, but also has some of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the entire nation. Visit the Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Canton, Patterson Park, Hampden, Mount Vernon, or Charles Village some time. Baltimore will also continue to benefit from rising commodity prices which will push people back into cities with ready-made infrastructure

Atlanta - I really can't think of any good reason Atlanta would make the list unless people equate "ghetto" with large concentrations of black people. There are rough areas in Atlanta, but I've travelled to cities all over the East Coast, Mid-Atlantic, and South and Atlanta is one of the wealthier cities out there. In fact, some of the deep suburbs of ATL have become more ghetto-like than anything inside the Perimeter.

Overall, the entire debate is just silly, though. For a lot of these cities, I'd actually like to move there because there is lots of cheap urban property and things will improve over time as national trends shift (as they inevitably will due to the rising costs of oil). Memphis and Baltimore are not bad places to settle if you have the right mentality. If you believe everything that is foreign to you is "ghetto", you don't have the right mentality.

P.S. I grew up in rural, poor Appalachia. I'm not sure that there's some major advantage of living in a poor rural environment as opposed to a poor urban environment. There are lots of poor areas in the nation and not all of them are in the inner cities.
I agree with you. But one thing that needs to be pointed out is that EVERY LARGE CITY HAS SOME PART(S) OF IT THAT IS CONSIDERED "GHETTO." It's just the nature of large groups of people concentrated in a defined area.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:05 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
1. Gary,IN
2. Detroit
3. Memphis
4. Oakland
5. Homestead,FL
6. East St Louis
7. New Orleans
8. Little Rock
9. Flint,MI
10. Lansing, MI
Oh wow, I'm surprise to see my hometown ( Lansing, Michigan) ranked in top 10, top 50 etc... for ghetto cities. If this thread was ranking cities with bad health system/ facilities ranking Lansing in top 10 may be more accurate.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 11,414 times
im from deep east oakland all im gona say is we bout respect out here of course we get money but you wont make it wit out RESPECT. honostly if you dont liv out here you dont no whats goin.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:17 PM

709 posts, read 1,766,871 times
Basically any place that became a Chocolate city after experiencing massive White flight, is pretty much ghetto.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:25 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Detroit
Flint, MI
Gary, IN
East St. Louis, IL
Cleveland
Atlanta, GA
New Orleans
Cahokia, IL
Compton, CA
Washington, DC
LOL I used to play Ice Hockey in Cahokia. The area isnt great but it certainly isnt in the '10 most ghetto cities' category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City