U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2009, 03:34 PM

7,616 posts, read 8,819,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
The problem with this list is that some of these cities like New York and Philladelphia may have big ghetto areas but if you classify them, ghetto isn't what pops up to mind first.
Example, what comes to mind when you think of NY
1. Broadway, Pizza, Central Park, etc.,,, ghetto would be way down the list.
When you think of Flint michigan or Gary Indiana or Detroit, ghetto comes to mind first, those are true ghetto cities.
I agree but that's why I did major cities because everyone knows cities like E. Saint Louis, Camden, Gary, etc. are primarily ghettos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowh View Post
But the problem is they are not ghettos. Only pieces are, just like every other city in the world
I agree they are just pieces of those cities but the ghetto areas in those cities can be larger and more crime ridden than the smaller primarily ghetto cities.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:40 PM

2,049 posts, read 3,759,186 times
Youngstown, Flint, Detroit, Gary, Cleveland, St Louis, New Orleans, Baltimore, etc

Old 07-19-2009, 05:31 PM

6,972 posts, read 11,697,423 times
Quote:
agree but that's why I did major cities because everyone knows cities like E. Saint Louis, Camden, Gary, etc. are primarily ghettos.
good point.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:34 PM

13,081 posts, read 13,572,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I thought Chicago would deserve to be that high because of its South Side which I assumed was around one third of the city. I originally put Memphis but I removed it and put Houston because it is a larger city and I've heard a lot of negatives about its ghetto areas so I thought it would have more problems than Memphis.
The Southside is not all ghetto though. In fact, it's not even the worse side and many Chicagoans can co-sign with me on this one. The westside is the worse side. It's small, but has a huge impact. The Southside does have a few very bad hoods. But they also have many great hoods as well.

As far as Memphis and Houston. No sir. Memphis has a higher crime rate than Houston and I believe a higher poverty rate. Go to the Tennessee board and ask about North Memphis and Orange Mound. I do though respect your list and you thought about it. I would just change it up a bit.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:39 PM

13,081 posts, read 13,572,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Ghetto Major Cities:

1. New Orleans, LA
2. Chicago, IL
3. New York, NY
4. Philadelphia, PA
5. Detroit, MI
6. Baltimore, MD
7. Miami, FL
8. Washington, D.C.
9. St. Louis, MO
10. Houston, TX
This is how I would do the list as far as major cities.
1. Detroit
2. New Orleans

There's really a huge gap here. I mean huge.
3. Baltimore
4. Memphis
5. Miami
6. St. Louis
7. Washington DC
8. Philadelphia
9. Chicago
10. New York

11 would be Houston because they have some very bad looking areas in parts of the city. You could make a case for Houston being 10 though.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:06 PM

7,616 posts, read 8,819,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is how I would do the list as far as major cities.
1. Detroit
2. New Orleans

There's really a huge gap here. I mean huge.
3. Baltimore
4. Memphis
5. Miami
6. St. Louis
7. Washington DC
8. Philadelphia
9. Chicago
10. New York

11 would be Houston because they have some very bad looking areas in parts of the city. You could make a case for Houston being 10 though.
I think this list is more accurate. Bigger cities like NYC, Chicago and Philadelphia can't really be that high on the list because their nice areas heavily outweigh their ghetto areas even though their ghetto areas are very rough.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:27 PM

5,263 posts, read 7,165,148 times
1. Camden
2. Detroit
3. New Orleans
4. Jackson, MS
5. Pine Bluff, AR
6. Irvington, NJ
7. North Charleston
8. Compton, CA
9. Atlantic City
10. Birmingham

I don't know if they should be in that exact order, but i can't say i'm too far off from what i'm trying to attempt.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:51 PM

6,972 posts, read 11,697,423 times
i gotta say, i was re-reouted this morning out of the holland tunnel into jersey city 14B and i was kinda surprised at how run down that strip was....

that's a diamond in the rough over there....across the bridge from manhattan, there's no one around except a woman pushing a shopping cart WTF? that should be gentrification 101 - i mean, you look benind your shoulder and you have the manhattan skyline????

Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 PM

11 posts, read 39,129 times
Heres just a bunch of ghetto places,

South Central LA California
North Memphis Tennessee
South Detroit Michigan
Harlem New York
Brooklyn New York
Bronx New York
Flint Michigan
Jackson Mississippi
Miami Florida
Oakland California
Houston Texas
New Orleans Florida
St. Louis Missouri
Kansas City Missouri~~~kinda
Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Baltimore Maryland
Washington DC
Chicago Illinois~~~kinda
Gary Indiana
Jacksonville Florida
Atlanta Georgia~~~kinda
Cleveland Ohio~~~kinda
Homestead Florida
Little Rock Arkansas~~~kinda

Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM

1,997 posts, read 3,400,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
1. Camden
2. Detroit
3. New Orleans
4. Jackson, MS
5. Pine Bluff, AR
6. Irvington, NJ
7. North Charleston
8. Compton, CA
9. Atlantic City
10. Birmingham

I don't know if they should be in that exact order, but i can't say i'm too far off from what i'm trying to attempt.
Pretty much sums it up for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.