U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-23-2009, 06:54 AM

128 posts, read 188,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Chicago should be pretty high on the least of ghetto cities, as much of the south and west sides of Chicago are one giant ghetto after another. The only reason the Chicago fanboys on this forum think otherwise is because they live in the loop or the north side.

I'd concur with that. We recently visited Chicago for a few weeks. Seemed like if you leave the north side of Chicago or downtown and head west or south it was pretty scetchy and run down. Many of the suburbs tend to redeem Chicago, so its a wonder why Chicago folks seem to dislike suburbanites. It also seemed like the ghetto went on forever in some areas.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:39 AM

915 posts, read 1,151,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Detroit, MI
Highland Park, MI
Inkster, MI
River Rouge, MI
Ecorse, MI
Pontiac, MI
Redford, MI
Monroe, MI
Romulus, MI
Ypsilanti, MI
are you serious or is this a joke?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:05 PM

902 posts, read 1,565,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Well since this is opinion, here goes. I think the cities with the highest income disparity have the worst ghettos:

1. New York
2. Miami
3. Chicago

Now for the more ghetto cities
4. Memphis
5. Gary
6. Camden
7. Detroit
8. Baltimore
9. St Louis
10. Cleveland

I am thinking areas cops won't even go into, areas that are missing street view on Google, etc. when I list some of these cities though most of the larger ones definitely have nice areas as well.
So you can add San Francisco to that list.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:27 PM

1,988 posts, read 4,550,739 times
No I do not think the Bay area is that ghetto. I should not have just said cities with a high income disparity, some cities with a high income disparity tend to have the worst ghettos. I think Oakland has its bad areas, but it is not that bad IMO and has some wealth of its own. Even LA has a high income disparity but I do not think the bad parts of Southern California are that bad either.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:45 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,160,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinniethezen View Post
I'd concur with that. We recently visited Chicago for a few weeks. Seemed like if you leave the north side of Chicago or downtown and head west or south it was pretty scetchy and run down. Many of the suburbs tend to redeem Chicago, so its a wonder why Chicago folks seem to dislike suburbanites. It also seemed like the ghetto went on forever in some areas.
When visiting Chicago from Atlanta I heard a lot of "oh isnt it ghetto there?"

Atlanta seems a lot more clean and tidy to me. I never understood why they would think Chicago is nicer?

but when I would try to tell a Chicagoan otherwise they just wouldnt hear it! When they take on that persona it just makes them look like they never leave the Chicago area to know otherwise lol.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:09 PM

902 posts, read 1,565,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
No I do not think the Bay area is that ghetto. I should not have just said cities with a high income disparity, some cities with a high income disparity tend to have the worst ghettos. I think Oakland has its bad areas, but it is not that bad IMO and has some wealth of its own. Even LA has a high income disparity but I do not think the bad parts of Southern California are that bad either.
That is hilarious to say that California bad areas are not that bad.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:14 PM

887 posts, read 1,175,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
When visiting Chicago from Atlanta I heard a lot of "oh isnt it ghetto there?"

Atlanta seems a lot more clean and tidy to me. I never understood why they would think Chicago is nicer?

but when I would try to tell a Chicagoan otherwise they just wouldnt hear it! When they take on that persona it just makes them look like they never leave the Chicago area to know otherwise lol.
Easy. Northern (Chicago is north to me, even if it's "midwest) bias and a need to feel better than somebody else. Atlanta is one of the most beautiful major cities you can find.

The city itself is clean and mostly manicured, the tree cover is gorgeous, and there are so many new developments you feel like you're in a new emerging city. Those fools can stay in their dirty industrial towns while we soak up the sun and low mortgage payments :-).

Old 10-13-2009, 12:28 PM

23 posts, read 67,777 times
Lansing, Mi? Are you serious? It's Detroit. It's so ghetto and dangerous here even Robo Cop don't to come through.

Last edited by EastsideManiac; 10-13-2009 at 12:41 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 12:42 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,827,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Agreed Orlando is a giant toilet. Disney has self contained everything including nightlife, a multi-billion dollar expenditure to assure one thing, that nobody ventures into the giant cesspool fifteen minutes north: Orlando. Most people who visit Disney and come home say, I love Orlando, however they have no clue, they've never been. Mile after mile of sprawling ghetto, gangs. FBI top ten crime city.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Philthadelphia will be a ghetto in 2025,no wait a minute it already is a ghetto to begin with,I'll move on to another city.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:01 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,827,570 times
Quote:
Southwest Philly out of control
Philadelphia is a deplorable and nasty looking city.

YouTube - SouthWest Philly out of control !!

Last edited by noland123; 10-13-2009 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.