U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,490,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Compton's ghettos look pristine in comparison to the unkempt shacks, trailer, and projects you'll find in Birmingham and Jackson. I've been through Birmingham, it's infrastructure is the only thing that makes it's ghettos seem like less of a hell hole, but they're not. Rape rates are out of control in Birmingham/Jackson- It's a whole different kind of ghetto out that way.
Assault rates are usually higher in Northern cities compared to southern cities.

Birmingham murder rate is on Detroits level if not slightly worst... Candyland... whatever.

You're not the type to look at the whole picture are you?
^^^ No I'm not, not if the picture depicts anything close to rape = ghetto. Your opinion is primarily based on statistics; hence lies the disconnection. Newark is more in line with Baghdad than Birmingham. I won't even address Atlanta ahead of Newark and in the same category with Philadelphia. Either your interpretation of ghetto is WAY off base from everyone else's, or you should do stand up.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 AM

2,581 posts, read 3,256,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Newark is more in line with Baghdad than Birmingham.
Ehhhhh........................ Not really.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:45 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,766,622 times
Quote:
^^^ No I'm not, not if the picture depicts anything close to rape = ghetto. Your opinion is primarily based on statistics; hence lies the disconnection. Newark is more in line with Baghdad than Birmingham. I won't even address Atlanta ahead of Newark and in the same category with Philadelphia. Either your interpretation of ghetto is WAY off base from everyone else's, or you should do stand up.
You need stats to determine what's ghetto. A high crime rate is what makes a place ghetto among a few other things such as poverty, poor school districts etc. So yes, I will go by stats, what other tool can we use here because it's obvious that the majority of people here havn't stepped a foot in the majority of the cities listed on this thread.

Newark = Bagdad? Have you been? have you traveled into the Ironbound section, the Forest Hill section, or Branch Brook Park? I shouldn't even be asking because you obviously have a "Bash north, crown south" mentality..
Newark's making strides, it's improving... Birmingham... it's backwards in comparison.
What makes a place ghetto? Answer that and then tell me if chunks of Birmingham don't fit the bill.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:51 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 01:03 AM

580 posts, read 623,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
1. Gary,IN
2. Detroit
3. Memphis
4. Oakland
5. Homestead,FL
6. East St Louis
7. New Orleans
8. Little Rock
9. Flint,MI
10. Lansing, MI
Little Rock, seriously? I've only driven through once, and it seemed more redneck than anything else. But even so, I refuse to believe it's that bad of a city, especially compared with some of the other ones on there!

My top 10 would be something like:

1. Watts, CA -- Been here and it's pretty damn sketchy
2. Compton, CA -- Been here and it's run-down as all hell
3. South Los Angeles, CA -- Been here and it's generally scary
4. Southside Chicago, IL -- Never been but I hear from many how bad it is
5. South Bronx, NY -- Never been, but I've heard plenty
6. Fifth Ward Houston, TX -- Been here, and it's definitely a ghetto
7. St. Louis, MO -- Never been, but it's widely known to be violent
8. Newark, NJ -- Never been, but my grandmother used to live here
9. Detroit, MI -- Never been, but I can imagine it's a bloody ghost town
10. New Orleans, LA -- Never been, but my coworker tells me there are some pretty bad areas

Old 07-09-2010, 01:12 AM

4,028 posts, read 4,277,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
Little Rock, seriously? I've only driven through once, and it seemed more redneck than anything else. But even so, I refuse to believe it's that bad of a city, especially compared with some of the other ones on there!

My top 10 would be something like:

1. Watts, CA -- Been here and it's pretty damn sketchy
2. Compton, CA -- Been here and it's run-down as all hell
3. South Los Angeles, CA -- Been here and it's generally scary
4. Southside Chicago, IL -- Never been but I hear from many how bad it is
5. South Bronx, NY -- Never been, but I've heard plenty
6. Fifth Ward Houston, TX -- Been here, and it's definitely a ghetto
7. St. Louis, MO -- Never been, but it's widely known to be violent
8. Newark, NJ -- Never been, but my grandmother used to live here
9. Detroit, MI -- Never been, but I can imagine it's a bloody ghost town
10. New Orleans, LA -- Never been, but my coworker tells me there are some pretty bad areas
I'll comment only on Chicago.

1. The South Side of Chicago is not nearly as bad as people make it sound and it's not the worst part.

2. The South side of Chicago is not a city.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,490,387 times
^^^lol. What about Birmingham and Minneapolis? They're horrible I hear...

Old 07-09-2010, 05:59 AM

5 posts, read 4,701 times
Okay, here is my list of Top 10 Ghetto Cities - note this is from personal experience:

1. Gary, IN
2. Hammond, IN
3. Washington, DC
4. Silver Spring, MD
5. Flint, MI
6. Inglewood, CA
7. Chicago, IL
8. Milwaukee, WI
9. Los Angeles, CA
10. South Phoenix, AZ

Okay, Gary and Hammond are on top because not only could you see how bad they are, but you can SMELL how bad they are. I've been through them TWICE, and both times they smelled AWFUL. I remember being on the I-90 tollway eastbound and I entered Hammond. I could smell the stench. When the traffic on the tollway slowed, I saw a sea of Port-O-Johns stretched for miles. Then came Gary, which also smelled bad. But not only did it smell bad, it also had smokestacks with flames coming out. Then I saw downtown Gary from the tollway - it looked like Hell on Earth - a bunch of flaming smokestacks everywhere - it looked scary. I couldn't believe that anyone would let such a city be so polluted.

Silver Spring, MD is 4th because I only went through it to get to Washington, DC. I couldn't believe I wasn't even in DC yet and every door and window on the main drag in Silver Spring had bars on them - there were bars covering everything, everywhere - it was crazy. It was like I was in the ghetto before I even got to the city!

I spent a few days in Washington, DC - just about EVERY house I saw in Washington had bars covering its doors and windows. I could tell just by looking at the houses that it's not safe there at all. What I find even creepier is the fact that all our nation's politicians come here, and they don't seem to really care about the state of the city - it's terrible. Add the fact that it's the murder capital of the country, and yep, it's on my list.

I went past Flint, MI on the freeway - I was on I-75 south, then took I-69 east toward Port Huron. All I could see was boarded up houses. Also, seeing Michael Moore's documentaries also has earned Flint its place on my list.

I went down Manchester Boulevard in Inglewood, CA. I went past this HUGE building that had bars on all the windows and razor wire on the fences. I thought "Oh my god, is this a prison?" No, it was Inglewood HIGH SCHOOL. I'm like "Holy ****, they make the kids go in THAT?!"

Yes, Chicago does have its ghettos - I've seen some of them. Lots of heavy duty razor wire in some places. I had a girlfriend who lived here and she told me I had to be careful when I ride the El-train.

I lived in Milwaukee for 28 years, and I've never seen so many run-down houses in my life - lots of them. I've also seen many boarded up houses. I've lived in the Phoenix area for 4 years and rarely have I seen a boarded up house. So it's mainly my experience that has landed it here.

There are obviously nice parts of L.A. And there are not so nice parts. I thought Hollywood was going to be this glamorous place. Well, I'll be darned - I saw quite a few places in Hollywood that had fences with heavy duty razor wire on them. In fact, there were a lot of places in L.A. that had that. I really like L.A. though, even with all the razor wire, graffiti, crazy people and whatnot.

I've seen parts of South Phoenix - on University between 32nd Street and Highway 143 there is nothing but strip clubs, pawn shops and heavy duty razor wire. I've also seen houses with lawns of dirt, and a few run-down trailers.

So there's my top 10.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:14 AM

10,180 posts, read 5,145,114 times
Wow, Camden sure got rocked in this thread by how many times it was mentioned.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 AM

2,266 posts, read 1,931,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
It irks me when people use the word "Ghetto" as an adjective. Still, the list seems pretty accurate. I would also rank Newark, NJ and Camden, NJ up there as well.
It irks me even more when it’s a adjective to describe something bad. A ghettos is ethnic enclave.

Quote:
why is it that ghetto always seems to = Black lol? Just curious...
~Reviewed by ATL_Aficionado
If you notice blacks used the term ghetto to describe anything of African American culture, hair braiding can be describe as ghetto, black churches, soul food, anything it’s a idiom word. Notice these things don’t have anything do with crime or poverty. Blacks do use "ghetto" also to refer to poverty and crime this only because some blacks live in bad areas. Here’s another thing that irk me, to my experience most whites don’t use this term at all so this isn’t the majority of whites "that isn't the part" The only time I ever hear someone white using the term “ghetto” it’s for something negative. Which actually has nothing do with the concept of the “ghetto” so really this is really coded racism “I’m scarred of him not because he is black, but because he had braided hair, with a do rang. Braid hair and do rang = ghetto, ghetto = scary.” Translation I don’t know much about African American culture, but I know statistics so I'm going to make a hasty generalization of anything that’s not accepted by mainstream America. Or I'm going to hi jack a term because it's referencing minorities, and use it to describe social ills.

So why does it seems Ghetto = black often? because Ghetto actually does = minorities it's not a good or bad thing, like ethnic minority is not a good or bad thing. A better question is, What does this say about society view of minories that some how negative things = ghetto? Seriously someone white can pass as “ghetto” if they’re doing something negative that's stereotype with blacks. At what point does this even make, the world is freaking losing. ) Even right now people are naming the worst crime ridden city they can think of as “Ghetto” mean while a Ghetto doesn’t even have to poverish or ridden.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,766,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Wow, Camden sure got rocked in this thread by how many times it was mentioned.
If you've ever been there, you'd see why- It's a very depressing place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.