Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which Sunbelt city (or metro) is the most intimidating and fast-paced?
Los Angeles 94 54.02%
Houston 13 7.47%
Dallas 10 5.75%
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale 26 14.94%
Atlanta 21 12.07%
Las Vegas 7 4.02%
Other (if your choice is not posted) 3 1.72%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:23 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
The data isn't consistent with your proclamation. Working in Houston isn't necessarily going to dramatically lower your salary from that of some place like NYC. Apples to apples salary comparisons between identical jobs in each city are remarkably similar for many positions but not all. When you see the information begin to skew, you begin to look at jobs or industries not well represented in Houston, ones the market here doesn't really support. For instance, stock traders will make less money here than NYC. Because... do I have to explain why? Smart people in Houston are trading other commodities relevant to the business climate here (ie. energy subsidies) and making comparable pay to their NYC money changing counterparts.

The lower cost of living is just one of the many benefits to being here, and it's not offset by some hokey notion that compensation is in reduced supply. Look at this interesting link: Most Affordable Cities for College Graduates | SmarterSpend.com. The only one city in the US where people make more out of college than Houston is San Francisco. The sunbelt isn't the tidal backwater it once was.

The teacher salaries in Houston aren't comparable to what they pay here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 03:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
'

Well there are millions of Northern transplants in the South NAd there is A whole lot of people from NYC here in Atlanta trust.
It's due to a shift in the economy that's been happening over the last twenty or so years. Businesses are moving south because the cost of living is lower in the south (therefor southern workers don't demand as much in wages) and most southern workers resent labor unions. First it was manufacturing and other blue collar jobs that moved south and, more recently, white collar jobs which attracted unemployed workers in the manufacturing hubs of the the New England and the mid-west. This created an economic boom in the region giving southerners a higher standard of living as well as an increase in public works and contributions to the arts giving the south more affluence which attracted retirees wanting to stretch out they're nest egg on the south's low cost of living and inexpensive real estate. This allowed the south's housing market to thrive for many years and it's no coincidence that Charlotte, NC became the second largest banking center in the US. Many economists term this economic boom as "The New South" and that the days of the south being considered a collection of poor, backwards agrarians still reeling from the Civil War and Reconstruction is long gone.
Now to answer the question "If you guys are so superior to us then why do you keep moving here to live with us?". In my expirience people from the north who move south generally don't think of southerners as being a bunch hicks and white trash. Many of them are interested in southern culture and history. Like southerners, notherners get steriotyped as well. The ones that have a supiriority complex are the ones that claim to know all abouth how the south is full of ignorant and trashy people who can't let go of the Civil War. And the reason they know this is because they believe all this is because they buy into the editorials of prejudice reporters who dared to venture into that lepor colony that they certailly wouldn't visit themselves. These types of northerners make other notherners look bad.
1. And you dont think there are people from Atlanta in NYC?

2. I agreed with everything that you said about your explanation of the new south. However, I dont remember saying that the North was superior to the south?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:07 PM

The northern cities were more expensive because they had bigger cities than the south

The south is just starting to get really big cities

Developed cities = entertainment = higher cost of living

however, since people are moving to the south the cost of living in those cities are not cheap anymore unless you live in a rural small town.

the new south, which is dallas, houston, and atlanta are not cheap.

you can live in philly for the same price as you can in dallas.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

And miami is more expensive to live in than boston or chicago.

Even the smaller cities in the south like tampa and charlotte are not cheap. I have a friend that lives in Charlotte and he is paying over 1,000 for a studio

Bottom Line: It does not matter what region that you live in. If you live in a big city with entertainment then your going to pay the price for that entertainment

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2009 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-27-2009, 03:15 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The teacher salaries in Houston aren't comparable to what they pay here.
That's definitely true:
Houston: teacher Salaries in Houston, TX - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
New York: teacher Salaries in New York - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

I wonder why this is. I wonder if it's because our teachers unions aren't as strong here, or if more teachers in New York have advanced degrees. With a little further research, I found the salaries are considerably closer at entry level. Which means that perhaps the pay increases might not be as substantial, or perhaps teachers in New York stick around longer and go through more raise cycles. I don't know. Whatever the reason, judging from my own experience in Texas public schools in the Houston area (granted several years ago) those buffoons were overpaid. And, maybe that's it. Perhaps we reward raises on merit and not just longevity or seniority, and we have very few people actually deserving of higher pay. Again, I don't know.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:49 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Did you factor in cost of living? They may get paid more, but housing, etc., is more.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
That's definitely true:
Houston: teacher Salaries in Houston, TX - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
New York: teacher Salaries in New York - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

I wonder why this is. I wonder if it's because our teachers unions aren't as strong here, or if more teachers in New York have advanced degrees. With a little further research, I found the salaries are considerably closer at entry level. Which means that perhaps the pay increases might not be as substantial, or perhaps teachers in New York stick around longer and go through more raise cycles. I don't know. Whatever the reason, judging from my own experience in Texas public schools in the Houston area (granted several years ago) those buffoons were overpaid. And, maybe that's it. Perhaps we reward raises on merit and not just longevity or seniority, and we have very few people actually deserving of higher pay. Again, I don't know.

This is more accurate:

http://www.houstonisd.org/HumanResou...le%2008-09.pdf

Just zoom in-
http://www.uft.org/member/contracts/moa/teacher_sal_may192008_sal06.gif (broken link)

And also, don't forget, those who work in Title 1 schools here (like myself), get an extra $3400 a year.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:21 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
1. And you dont think there are people from Atlanta in NYC?

2. I agreed with everything that you said about your explanation of the new south. However, I dont remember saying that the North was superior to the south?
But I bet there are more northerns down south and than southerners up north

Old 03-27-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
The northern cities were more expensive because they had bigger cities than the south

however, since people are moving to the south the cost of living in those cities are not cheap anymore unless you live in a rural small town.

Even the smaller cities in the south like tampa and charlotte are not cheap. I have a friend that lives in Charlotte and he is paying over 1,000 for a studio

Bottom Line: It does not matter what region that you live in. If you live in a big city with entertainment then your going to pay the price for that entertainment

Atlanta and Houston a very cheap when it comes to buying a house i wish i could find a mortgage to be at 700 dollars in Philly

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2009 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:

He is paying way too much because for a thousand dollars or even less i can get a home even a loft and i may luck up and get a condo for thats much.

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2009 at 03:33 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
But I bet there are more northerns down south and than southerners up north
a lot of notherners move to the south when its time to retire

a lof of southerners move to the north to experience big cities and a change in atmosphere especially after college (nyc, philly, chicago, boston)

people try to move to the cities that they like.

i have lived on the west cost, new south, deep south and north.

i only have 10 cities that i would ever want to live in. 4 are in the north, 3 are on the west coast and 3 are in the new south, 0 are in the deep south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City