U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 PM

30,794 posts, read 35,834,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
There isn't too much of a culture clash from the US to Canada. for example, Detroit, Windsor, Hamilton, Niagara Falls and Buffalo all are located in the same region and are very similar
That is true. There is a lot of influence in Southwestern Ontario from Detroit and Buffalo and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 PM

343 posts, read 885,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think what you say about Seattle and BC being more connected is true, but I also feel Vancouver's culture is less stereotypically Canadian than Ontario or the Prairie Provinces. So in that sense, it seems like BC is more American influenced than Seattle is Canadian influenced, but I may be wrong.

Ya I kinda agree, well sorta. I think Alberta, BC, and the Northwestern part of the United States are kind of different then both Eastern Canada and the rest of the United States so its not in the same category.

People in western Canada have a lot less in common with people in the eastern provinces.

But if we are talking about which regions are most influnced by one another then it is the pacific northwest and British columbia. Travel between Vancouver B.C. and Portland Oregon is very prolific. And I think the sense of regional identity is a bit stronger then between any other set of cities in North America on both sides of the border. Generally when people think of Cascadia, they think of Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland. I can't say the same for many other American cities.

As for the eastern provinces. I don't see much influence between them and the NE because no "major" cities are really connected between the two. Sorry but Buffalo does not count in my book. Plus I don't see anything about Buffalo, or Detroit that looks remotely Canadian. I think you would be hard pressed to find any Canadian who wants anything in common with Detroit of all places! no offense.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,419,711 times
i agree Seattle/ Vancouver have a lot in common and they overlap into "Pacific NW" designation which is an American classification which drags along southwestern BC, so in Vancouver there's lots of references to "Pacific NW" cuisine/ lifestyles, etc..in that sense they are closely linked, perhaps influencing each other. i do know many residents of both cities travel to each city pretty frequently. I know i did when i lived in that region, and you do see plates from both places everywhere.

i believe Southern Ontario is also particularly connected to the neighboring US states, so the overlap exists there too. I'd say other parts of Canada are strongly US-influenced but they are more distant to other more populous American cities so maybe not so strong?

Old 03-25-2009, 06:22 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,231,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
Id say Seattle, and British Columbia have more in common.

Even up in Lilleot B.C. (for those of you who don't know thats way up past Pemberton) you see more cars from Washington state then even B.C. not to mention all the televison channels out of Seattle.

The Northwestern half of the United States I'm pretty sure has much more of a common identity with British Columbia then the midwest or east coast has with Eastern Canada. That is the perception I get in Vancouver anyways. Vancouver and British Coulumbia is very much interlinked with Seattle. Similar cultural and economic influences. Plus Seattle is only two hours from Vancouver B.C. which is very close for any major American city.

Even though Quebec borders the NE United States it has little in common with people across the border.
I think OR, WA and BC are neither American or Canadian, but Cascadian.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 PM

9,026 posts, read 13,182,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Which American city seems most touched by Canadian culture, especially the accent? I have no real experience, but some possibilities could be Fargo, Grand Forks, Duluth...I'm not sure about Bellingham, WA, and I doubt it's Buffalo or Detroit.

What about which border region is most of the cultural traffic from Canada to the US? I think on the West coast it seems to flow from south to north, and in the Midwest kind of equal, maybe even more Canadian filtering down. Both New England and the Maritime Provinces seem to have strong local flavours and identities, but Quebec borders much of NE.
Where would people from Fargo go? Winnipeg? That's hundreds of miles away. I would assume they'd just go to Minneapolis. Duluth? Maybe they could be influenced by Thunder Bay, but that's just some area of 100,000 people that's not really doing a whole lot hundreds of miles away from Duluth.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:48 PM

5,231 posts, read 9,340,323 times
Walk across the bridge from International Falls, MN to Fort Frances, ON and you immediately know you are in a different country.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 PM

1,576 posts, read 3,535,943 times
Buffalo gets a heck of a lot of Canadian influence - especially considering many of our shoppers, tourists, sports fanatics, workers, binational metro pop. etc come from Canada. When you have critical mass traffic to and from Canada on one of the world's busiest border crossings, you are bound to have influenced both sides of the border. Buffalo certainly has its own identity, but has a prevalent Canadian influence as well.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM

343 posts, read 885,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I think OR, WA and BC are neither American or Canadian, but Cascadian.
LOL i was sorta thinking the same thing.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:50 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,863,971 times
Burlington, Vermont.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:19 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,231,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
LOL i was sorta thinking the same thing.
I think Alberta is more Canadian though - but there's also a HUGE connection to MT and WY, due to the Western thing. You could even place Colorado and Texas in the same category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City