Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most dangerous neighborhood to walk in the US?
South Bronx ( yes more than one neighborhood) 44 8.21%
Highland Park ( Detroit) 55 10.26%
Compton ( Los Angeles) 67 12.50%
zone 3 (Atlanta) 32 5.97%
Chicago Southside 66 12.31%
Inner Wash DC ( sorry this isn't precise) 20 3.73%
North Philadelphia 62 11.57%
Liberty City Miami 26 4.85%
East St Louis , Ill 81 15.11%
OTHER 83 15.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
WHAT YOU TRYIN TO SAY!!! lol (LIL WAYNE would probally be happy to see that)
haha, yep. Even scarier looking since Katrina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
South Side Chicago minus Hyde Park, though the only reason Hyde Park isn't a shthole either is because it's anchored by the University of Chicago.

I remember last year there was a middle and high school shooting death for every school week. It's pathetic.
The entire there was a middle and high school shooting death for every school week seems very hard to beleive.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:53 PM

177 posts, read 479,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
I suppose you missed the "some of the areas I HAVE BEEN TO" bit. I have no business on the south side, and the areas I've seen look absolutely awful.

I don't care enough about Chicago to explore or care about the better sides of the "South Side", sorry.

I didnt miss anything. You made a total generalization about an entire side of the city to be "dangerous, ugly, and dreary". In doing so you came off looking completely ignorant and unknowledgeable about the city, period. A fake elitist, like you seem to be, would be better off shutting up about somewhere you know absolutely nothing about.

And apparently you care enough about Chicago to comment about the city relentlessly. You're not fooling anyone. Give it up and let people who actually know the city comment. You think you're too good for it? Fine, please shut up about it if you have anything better to do.

BTW, to the OP, this poll is a little ridiculous. Many of these are not 'neighborhoods', but huge swaths of cities, or entire cities themselves, that cannot possibly be considered "the most dangerous" when taken as a whole.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:17 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
San Francisco is double the size of Oakland so the stats are about equal.
Yup. I was making a point to the people who saw the "4 cops killed in Oakland" headline, and who suddenly seemed to think that the incident made Oakland far and above worse than any other cities for police officers. Just wanted to give a little perspective (I shouldn't have said SF was twice as bad, because it really isn't, except for sheer numbers).

Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
east oakland. five cops just got killed a few days ago.
4 actually, and it was a very sad and tragic event.

Quote:
it happens a lot.
No, it doesnt. That's why 20,000 showed up to the funeral yesterday, because its so uncommon.

Quote:
and just up the road is richmond, ca.
Not common there either.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
It's reversed in Texas.....it's the cops killing us.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:04 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
4 actually, and it was a very sad and tragic event.

No, it doesnt. That's why 20,000 showed up to the funeral yesterday, because its so uncommon.

Not common there either.
I explained this to that person as well. The last police officer killed in Oakland before this incident was in January of 1999, over 10 years ago.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,289,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Agreed. And if I'm not mistaken, the Obamas call the south side home.
Obamas are from Hyde Park one of the affluent nabs on the southside.
Not all of the southside is bad, there are also Southside Irish in Chicago (pretty much like the Bronx Irish in New York) so some neighborhood are much better bu generally speaking southside and west of Chicago is bad, really bad.
Reading Chicago papers there is no week withouth a shooting, for some reason recently most victims seem to be kids caught in crossfire... Please remember that Chicago has higher murder rates than both LA and NY.

I also think that this poll missed three extremely (in)famous neigborhoods: Gary IN, Camden NJ and East New York (NYC). Gary used to be the US murder capital and East New York and not the Bronx has the most murders in the city. Bronx by the way has some very affluent neighborhoods...

Old 03-28-2009, 12:23 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
I explained this to that person as well. The last police officer killed in Oakland before this incident was in January of 1999, over 10 years ago.
Thanks.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Obamas are from Hyde Park one of the affluent nabs on the southside.
Not all of the southside is bad, there are also Southside Irish in Chicago (pretty much like the Bronx Irish in New York) so some neighborhood are much better bu generally speaking southside and west of Chicago is bad, really bad.
Reading Chicago papers there is no week withouth a shooting, for some reason recently most victims seem to be kids caught in crossfire... Please remember that Chicago has higher murder rates than both LA and NY.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City