Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most dangerous neighborhood to walk in the US?
South Bronx ( yes more than one neighborhood) 44 8.21%
Highland Park ( Detroit) 55 10.26%
Compton ( Los Angeles) 67 12.50%
zone 3 (Atlanta) 32 5.97%
Chicago Southside 66 12.31%
Inner Wash DC ( sorry this isn't precise) 20 3.73%
North Philadelphia 62 11.57%
Liberty City Miami 26 4.85%
East St Louis , Ill 81 15.11%
OTHER 83 15.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's amazing how quickly it's started to gentrify, but I lived at San Pablo & Mead in West Oakland in 07-08. In that time, I learned that there was only one pizza place that delivered, and only if I met him on the corner cash-in-hand, handed it to him, and then he handed me the pizza and left; cabs would tell me that they didn't go there when I needed a ride back from the BART; my best friend's yard was broken into and their pitbull stolen; I paid the gang in the Victorian across the street with beer and pizza every Friday to keep my car from getting messed with (and it worked!); I once had to hit the deck because someone opened fire on that gang with an AK from a beat-up Crown Vic when I was walking back from the bars with a friend; I had to clear a girl's presence with aforementioned gang with a $20 to keep her car from getting broken into while she came to spend the night; the hookers in the neighborhood all thought I was gay because I never used them; one morning I awoke to the sound of people alternately shouting in terror and laughing because one of the guys on the block got some bad stuff and was running up and down the street stripped naked, shouting about the bible and peeing on things; a sydeshow took up the whole block for three hours and no cops came to stop it...

Yeah. Good times.
Beautiful. West Oakland's no joke. I think I've seen enough hood vids about Oakland that showed everything you just described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 PM

398 posts, read 1,392,270 times
Back in the days, NYC had by far the worst neighborhoods. A good part of the New York City metropolitan area(The 5 boroughs and some north east jersey cities like Newark)were devastated by crack. Today they are 10 times better. They both still have their bad parts but compared to what they used to be, it's a lot better.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,028 times
Most dangerous neighborhood???

Step 1: Open a map of Baltimore
Step 2: Close your eyes
Step 3: and just Point

There ya go

Old 02-04-2014, 11:26 PM

52 posts, read 251,885 times
Although the Bronx used to be really bad in its hey day New York City hoods pale in comparison to other rough places throughout the country. Crime and violence in Philadelphia is way worse than any neighborhood in the Bronx. Places in North Philadelphia like Strawberry Mansion, West Kensington, Fairhill, Hartranft, Allegheny West, Swampoodle, Hunting Park, North Central make the Bronx look like a rich urban ghetto. Even parts of West Philly like Cobbs Creek, Haddington, and Carroll Park are much worse than any neighborhood in the Bronx. Even parts of Southwest Philly such as Kingsessing and Elmwood make the Bronx look like nothing. Its neighbor across the bridge is like the worse city in the US. AKA Camden. The difference between Camden and the Bronx is that Camden is populated by the poor, drug addicts, and poor hardworking people, and criminals. The Bronx is a huge borough with lots of different neighborhoods but fortunately has upper middle and lower classes. The worst neighborhoods in Camden, Philly, and Chester don't have a middle class. It's just straight up poor, lack of educational opportunities high rates of unemployment etc. The same can be said for parts of Trenton, Irvington, Newark. The worse parts of Pleasantville, Plainfield, Elizabeth, Passaic, or even Bridgeton or Asbury Park probably rival the worst the Bronx has to offer in terms of crime and violence. New York City is the safest big city in the nation. And despite this yes it still has its fair share of crime and what not but its spread out among the borrows. So although NYC might record over 400 murders when you designate where the murders occurred and separate them by neighborhoods among the boroughs the worst hoods in NYC pale in comparison to the hoods throughout the rest of the nation. NYC was once grimy but is greatly improving since their are so many police to combat the crime.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:32 PM

52 posts, read 251,885 times
The worst ghettos of America lack even a middle class
CAMDEN
EAST ST LOUIS ILLINOIS
PARTS of ST LOUIS MISSOURI
TRENTON
YOUNGSTOWN
ROCHESTER
IRVINGTON
PARTS OF CHICAGO
I DO HOWEVER RECOGNIZE THAT NEW YORK CITY STILL DOES HAVE LOW INCOME POOR HIGH CRIME NEIGHBORHOODS BUT THE CITY DOES NOT EVEN REGISTER AT LEAST A HOMICIDE A DAY. PHILADELPHIA , BALTIMORE, WASHINGTON DC, NEW ORLEANS, OAKLAND, CLEVELAND, BIRMINGHAM, TRENTON, CHESTER, AND MANY OTHERS ARE WAY WORSE THAN NYC SORRY FOR THE CAPS MY COMPUTER CAP LOCK KEY WONT GO OFF. ITS STUCK ....

Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,381 times
If you go West Oakland these days at 5am there are white people jogging around. It's amazing how it had changed.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:43 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,227 times
Inner Washington DC is pretty safe. It is east of the Anacostia you are looking for. DC outside of that region is no more dangerous than Boston or SF. But East of the Anacostia can be dangerous. Again the poster may have known DC well enough when posting this.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,513 times
The Skid Row (Central City East) section of Downtown Los Angeles is ain't no picnic.

Last edited by DTLARAT; 08-06-2015 at 01:25 AM..

Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsharkboy View Post
The worst ghettos of America lack even a middle class
CAMDEN
EAST ST LOUIS ILLINOIS
PARTS of ST LOUIS MISSOURI
TRENTON
YOUNGSTOWN
ROCHESTER
IRVINGTON
PARTS OF CHICAGO
I DO HOWEVER RECOGNIZE THAT NEW YORK CITY STILL DOES HAVE LOW INCOME POOR HIGH CRIME NEIGHBORHOODS BUT THE CITY DOES NOT EVEN REGISTER AT LEAST A HOMICIDE A DAY. PHILADELPHIA , BALTIMORE, WASHINGTON DC, NEW ORLEANS, OAKLAND, CLEVELAND, BIRMINGHAM, TRENTON, CHESTER, AND MANY OTHERS ARE WAY WORSE THAN NYC SORRY FOR THE CAPS MY COMPUTER CAP LOCK KEY WONT GO OFF. ITS STUCK ....
Rochester? Really? Don't get wrong that there are rough areas of the city, but I wouldn't go that far.

Also, almost all, if not all of these places have some degree of a "middle class". Here is an article about what is middle class: What 'middle class' means in every US state - Business Insider

Old 08-06-2015, 10:05 AM

42 posts, read 47,531 times
NORTH ST LOUIS how does this area get left out? Is it because people go to east St Louis in Illinois more often ? North St Louis is far more worse then east St Louis. It looks worse , more murders happen and it has parts people get scared driving through. NORTH St. Louis and East Detroit IMO are the worst areas in america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City