Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:57 PM

515 posts, read 1,058,720 times

Advertisements

A town with a warm climate on the Gulf coast. Why haven't they built it up? It could be a lucrative resort town like Miami or Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 02:56 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,620 times
A good question I've always wondered about myself. Living in Dallas, I rarely ever hear Corpus even mentioned. I've only been there once and it seemed nice enough. Texas isn't known for great beaches, but nothing in Corpus looked that bad from what I saw.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:02 PM

307 posts, read 802,262 times
Been a while since I've been, but I think the water is kind of cruddy down there. Not as clear as it is over toward Alabama and east. In my opinion, that's a big part of why Mississippi isn't a bigger resort attraction. Don't get me wrong, Gulfport and Biloxi are tourist spots, but nothing like Gulf Shores, Destin, etc.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:06 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
The beaches in Corpus Christi aren't bad, and the city overall isn't either. It just hasn't ever marketed itself, it hasn't even unlocked its potential yet. If it did that about 60 years ago, Houston would have another large in state competitor.

I think Corpus Christi is content with its size and how it is, in general out of the large Texas cities [Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, El Paso, Fort Worth, Houston, & San Antonio] its the least talked about (on here) and also the one known least about.

Perhaps one day it can tap into its potential and get a larger share of Texas's influence. I've always liked Corpus Christi, and I kind of like it the size it is now, I can't imagine how absurd it would be with Austin level traffic (which in my opinion has the worst traffic in the state). I would like it to grow, but only if it can sustain it and keep up the work on infrastructure along the way.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:12 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
I think there is just too much competition already in Texas. And Texans may also want to have CC the way it is rather than an overly developed resort town. Kinda hush hush, don't tell anybody

Old 09-01-2010, 03:16 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think there is just too much competition already in Texas. And Texans may also want to have CC the way it is rather than an overly developed resort town. Kinda hush hush, don't tell anybody
Agreed Htown, but I think they should be more aggressive about it too, economically they're fine, but they might want to start picking it up and getting their city's economic output higher.

It's port activity can greatly benefit from Panamax 2014 just the the way Houston is going too. I think they should put up a good notion to get some of that activity headed their way. It will be a mini-boom for Corpus Christi.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:43 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Agreed Htown, but I think they should be more aggressive about it too, economically they're fine, but they might want to start picking it up and getting their city's economic output higher.

It's port activity can greatly benefit from Panamax 2014 just the the way Houston is going too. I think they should put up a good notion to get some of that activity headed their way. It will be a mini-boom for Corpus Christi.

NOt just CC. If they are going to increase shipments, they also need to increase infrastruction to move it around. .

Houston, San ANtonio and Dallas were lucky because of the railroads, and Houston and Dallas also have big airports.

37 from CC to SA right now is a country road, and things don't get much better once you hit SAn ANtonio, then 35 to Austin and beyond, is also inadequate.

SO developing shipping in CC is not just a CC thing, it is a Texas thing.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:52 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
A town with a warm climate on the Gulf coast. Why haven't they built it up? It could be a lucrative resort town like Miami or Tampa.
Corpus Christi has the potential to be great, but it is really hard to get things done there. They vote down lots of projects. You're going to have to put your money down for South Padre Island becoming a top resort town because they are changing.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:28 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Corpus Christi has the potential to be great, but it is really hard to get things done there. They vote down lots of projects. You're going to have to put your money down for South Padre Island becoming a top resort town because they are changing.
I've always thought of Corpus Christi as being almost a "mini-Houston." Anyways, it's a cool town, but the South Padre area has better beaches and more ambition to develop itself in that manor.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Corpus and South Padre (especially) has the potential. It's just really hard to get things down down there and it's hard to GET down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City