Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 07:21 AM

207 posts, read 324,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
There is quite a bit of malcontent\ wounds yet to heal between the North & the South but not near as intense as people on this website. It is clear that the large cities are almost non-South in Texas\ Georgia\ Florida\ North Carolina so stereotypes about the South are often more rural examples. All the "Confederate" stuff is dying as it should so I see improvement in the South.
If you don't like the "Confederate Stuff" then leave. I don't have a racist bone in my body and neither do most Southerners. Having pride in the Confederacy has absolutely nothing to do with race. Northerners seem to misunderstand this because they don't educate themselves on the South's history and why it was involved with the Civil War. Instead they go by the constant bashing that the media plays against us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
People have a very narrow idea of what Southern means on this site, usually stemming from stereotypes and ignorance. This is why "Which Southern City Feels Less Southern?"-type threads abound. "Southern" is a code word for redneck, hickish, antiquated, backwards, old-fashioned, stuck in the past, racist, take your pick. I mean, does the question "Which Northern City Feels Less Northern?" even make any sense?
As a Southerner I find this idea insulting. If there are Northerners on here who are looking to move South, then why should they expect to move to cities that aren't "Southern"? If the North is so much better then please stay home.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
This is the exact post that I took from you in a past thread

It was the best post ever in the history of citydata

North:

...and South.
It is easy to take a picture from a nice area of a Northern city and compare to a trailor park in the South. Why don't you pick a picture of a nice part of Charleston or New Orleans? I sure hope the person who posted those pictures doesn't live down South.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:29 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
Well sadly the South is going to disappear if Northerners keep on moving down here.
that would be a good thing

Old 03-28-2009, 07:32 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
Quote:
they have their share, but not as much.

have you ever lived anywhere, but mass? i have lived in the north and south.
I've lived in Connecticut and will live in New Mexico in the near future. I have no doubt that you're more experienced when it comes to Southern rednecks. But I have visited the South and I don't see why Southern rednecks are more redneck. A redneck is a redneck, no matter where they live. Northern rednecks are more racist because the rural parts of the North have very few black people. At least Southern rednecks aren't as racist because they're used to being around black people. A lot of Northerners have the misconception that Southerners are racist (and they continue to associate the South with slavery, even though slavery ended almost 150 years ago).

Does the South have more rednecks than the North? Possibly (although I don't know). But that doesn't mean everyone in the South is a redneck. Rural areas probably have more than the cities (Southern cities probably have very few rednecks).

I have a feeling there is a deeper reason why you hate the South.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
It is easy to take a picture from a nice area of a Northern city and compare to a trailor park in the South. Why don't you pick a picture of a nice part of Charleston or New Orleans? I sure hope the person who posted those pictures doesn't live down South.
the south has no zoning. you can put a 300,000 dollar home next to a trailer.

Because charleston is tacky and outdated

Old 03-28-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I've lived in Connecticut and will live in New Mexico in the near future. I have no doubt that you're more experienced when it comes to Southern rednecks. But I have visited the South and I don't see why Southern rednecks are more redneck. A redneck is a redneck, no matter where they live. Northern rednecks are more racist because the rural parts of the North have very few black people. At least Southern rednecks aren't as racist because they're used to being around black people. A lot of Northerners have the misconception that Southerners are racist (and they continue to associate the South with slavery, even though slavery ended almost 150 years ago).

Does the South have more rednecks than the North? Possibly (although I don't know). But that doesn't mean everyone in the South is a redneck. Rural areas probably have more than the cities (Southern cities probably have very few rednecks).

I have a feeling there is a deeper reason why you hate the South.
I dont hate the new south such as dallas, houston, atlanta and miami

I hate the deep south. Alabama, Miss, SC, NC, GA, etc.

If you wanted me to list the reasons then it would take me over an hour. I could write one post that would fill up twenty pages on citydata

Old 03-28-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
1. the yuck no thanks goes right back at you

when i lived in philly i remember many little southerners from little rock ark, charleston, ga, nc, etc moving into philly. The reason is because they could not find the jobs in their small little hick town that they could find in philly

within a year they went right back where they came from because they could not cut it. they were outdated in everything and felt out of place

so it goes both ways. notherners move to the south to retire. many of them dont stay though!

2. The north has little respect for the south as well.... maybe its because of the larry the cable guy syndrome displayed?

Better food? You can keep your grits and okra. We will keep the pizza

Better football? You can keep your obsession with college and we will stick to pro

Better looking people? thats a joke. southerners are so outdated. the fact they want to get married before they graduate high school and can not dress halfway decnt to save their lives

If you want to start being better than the north then do something with your school systems, obesity problems, and crime.
Well gee, thank goodness you all are going back home. Thank goodness!

As for the better looking people stuff, I have never met a guy from up North who has NOT told me that he thinks women in the South are more desirable for a number of reasons. As for dressing decently....have you been to the South? Southern women are known for keeping up their appearances.

As for the crime and school problems, this is more a race issue than a regional issue. Can you show me one area of the country that has a large African American population that doesn't have those problems? I am not a racist by any means...I am just stating facts. Seriously is inner city New York or Detroit better off than the South?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:40 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Seriously is inner city New York or Detroit better off than the South?

Actually, NYC schools as a whole have better statistics than Atlanta schools. Not sure about Detroit.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:42 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
If you want to see the real South, just come for a visit on the last Saturday in April.

http://www.queenscup.org/

I am very proud of being born Southern, but I do find the attitude of many ignorant people toward the South as being insulting. Anybody that sees the South as a place to look down on is totally ignorant and uncultured. If we are not a better place to be, why is everybody wanting to move here? You have to be a cut above the rest of the nation to successfully live in the South. Some people can't make the grade and have to move on. Others just sit and complain and we wish they would move on. We are not complainers in the South. "Bloom where you are planted" is a favorite phrase of ours.

Last edited by NCN; 03-28-2009 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City