Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:15 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times

Advertisements

Anything remotely related to the South, whether presently or historically, is (usually) viewed with some sort of contempt, embarrassment, or shame on this site. It's as like people want to distance themselves from the South as much as possible. You can especially see this from people who live in the hybrid areas like Kentucky, Virginia, Florida, etc.

Sure, the South has its share of issues, but there's no denying that it has a lot of culture, and good things going for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
I dunno either, it has good and bad just like every place. My only experiance with the South is New Orleans but I like its culture, traditions, customs, vibe etc.. Just how nice, polite, and helpful people are there amazes me. I like how the US has so many distinct regional differences and I appreciate the South for theirs, not sure why so many people can't appreciate that. This would be one boring country if it were all the same culturally.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:23 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
The people that are embarassed have given into believing the untrue stereotypes that Northerners place on them. All the anti-South sentiment on this site is shocking. I didn't realize people in the North hated the South, much less care about it. Maybe it is just this forum.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
I'm not really clear on this. Are you implying that Southerners are trying to distance themselves from their heritage, or that people from outside the South are trying to distance themselves from the South and Southerners?
I'm really not aware of any fellow Southerners that are ashamed of where they came from. I certainly am not.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:27 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
There is quite a bit of malcontent\ wounds yet to heal between the North & the South but not near as intense as people on this website. It is clear that the large cities are almost non-South in Texas\ Georgia\ Florida\ North Carolina so stereotypes about the South are often more rural examples. All the "Confederate" stuff is dying as it should so I see improvement in the South.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,418 times
I think there is a sense of gray when it comes to cultural identification, especially nowadays. I don't think it just North and South. I believe that there are people who genuinely don't identify with either.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:43 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
People have a very narrow idea of what Southern means on this site, usually stemming from stereotypes and ignorance. This is why "Which Southern City Feels Less Southern?"-type threads abound. "Southern" is a code word for redneck, hickish, antiquated, backwards, old-fashioned, stuck in the past, racist, take your pick. I mean, does the question "Which Northern City Feels Less Northern?" even make any sense?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:58 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Anything remotely related to the South, whether presently or historically, is (usually) viewed with some sort of contempt, embarrassment, or shame on this site. It's as like people want to distance themselves from the South as much as possible. You can especially see this from people who live in the hybrid areas like Kentucky, Virginia, Florida, etc.

Sure, the South has its share of issues, but there's no denying that it has a lot of culture, and good things going for it.
This is the exact post that I took from you in a past thread

It was the best post ever in the history of citydata

North:

...and South.
Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:13 AM..

Old 03-26-2009, 07:03 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
^^I posted that because it was how I feel members on this site perceive the cultural divide between North and South. Obviously it was a joke, but you'd be surprised at how many people took it to heart.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:08 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
lol that's hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City