Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,780,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboo<3seattle<3 View Post
a continent is a large mass of land and there is no part where north and south America are separate its technically one big continent known as America. kinda like how europe and Asia is also considered Eurasia.
However you wish to interpret that particular point, that's not the overall point I was making anyway. "America," as far as this thread is concerned, is shorthand for the United States of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 PM

145 posts, read 686,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
However you wish to interpret that particular point, that's not the overall point I was making anyway. "America," as far as this thread is concerned, is shorthand for the United States of America.
i know lol i just couldnt think of anything else to say for thus thread XD

Old 11-12-2009, 06:07 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,530,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboo<3seattle<3 View Post
a continent is a large mass of land and there is no part where north and south America are separate its technically one big continent known as America.
I think not. Unless you're conceding that Africa isn't a stand-alone continent either, since it is technically joined to Asia (and, indirectly to Europe). In which case I'd argue that the term "continent" has ceased to have meaning.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 PM

145 posts, read 686,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I think not. Unless you're conceding that Africa isn't a stand-alone continent either, since it is technically joined to Asia (and, indirectly to Europe). In which case I'd argue that the term "continent" has ceased to have meaning.
u can argue that urself. u cant say the word continent has no ceased to have meaning. it has just changed its definition. kinda like planet has, pluto is no longer one because they changed the definition but no one says planet has ceased to have meaning.:P to me it seems to be based on ur opinion and how you want to view things.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:47 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,519,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
It's nice that you think Pittsburgh is unique. I'm sure there are great and distinct qualities, many of which you display in your post. However, the OP called for America's most unique cities. There is no freaking way that Pittsburgh, by any stretch of the imagination-- is going to be included in a top 5 list. You said, "Unique is a city with its completely own individual style." Sorry, but to the general man on the street and popular imagination-- it's not much different than Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit or Cincinnati. Now you and I know it is (steel history, industrialization, Carnegie Mellon, westward expansion, etc.), but to the common person-- no.

And as far as comparing to cities which I left out (Chicago, Philadelphia, DC), it's not even in the same ballpark. This is a totally subjective thread. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
Come on man. Heinz ketchup came out of Pittsburg. That's unique in the entire world. There is no other kinds once you've tasted Heinz.
Serously I've been in most Big US cities and I find Pittsburg is like no other place. Just like the ketchup. LOL

Old 11-23-2009, 01:23 PM

323 posts, read 1,422,066 times
How can you say SF is not more unique than LA. Let's see the iconic places that make the cities unique

SF
--
Golden Gate Bridge .. no explanation required
San Francisco Fog (makes the city mysterious) .. name another city with Fog like this
Transamerica Pyramid
Alcatraz .. only Cape town probably has a prison in the sea, but nothing as famous and recogonizable as the Rock
Crooked Street .. no explanation required
Coit Tower
Bay Bridge
Alamo Square - Victorian houses (thanks to Full House)
Sutro Tower

LA
--
Hollywood Sign
LA Smog (But some of the Texan cities, Atlanta compete with LA)
Hollywood Blvd which includes the Walk of Fame, the Chinese Maan theatre, Kodak theatre
Universal Studios

Old 11-23-2009, 01:39 PM

804 posts, read 2,394,370 times
Wow you don't even try to think of LA's landmarks good thing I am here.

Anyway LA's got
  1. Capitol Records buiding
  2. Hollywood bowl
  3. Chinese theater
  4. Egyptain theater
  5. Kodak theater
  6. Rodeo drive
  7. Beverly Hills and sign
  8. Palm trees
  9. Santa Monica pier and ferris wheel
  10. Venice canals
  11. Venice boradwalk
  12. The Getty

and that's half of it.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:48 PM

Location: in the sun with all shadows behind me, in a small town with no "culture" to malign me
80 posts, read 93,049 times
If we are talking larger cities, then...

San Fran
New Orleans
New York City
Las Vegas
L.A./Hollywood

These are the purest of the pure when you are talking about "unique"
Any other city could easlily be seen as a "knock off" or lesser version of one of these.

There are hundreds of unique smaller cities and towns. Too many to name.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:19 PM

517 posts, read 1,313,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Wow you don't even try to think of LA's landmarks good thing I am here.

Anyway LA's got
  1. Capitol Records buiding
  2. Hollywood bowl
  3. Chinese theater
  4. Egyptain theater
  5. Kodak theater
  6. Rodeo drive
  7. Beverly Hills and sign
  8. Palm trees
  9. Santa Monica pier and ferris wheel
  10. Venice canals
  11. Venice boradwalk
  12. The Getty
and that's half of it.
Palm Trees? Is that a landmark? The whole entire state of California has Palm Trees (Yes even SF) so I really wouldn't count that one.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:20 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Palm Trees? Is that a landmark? The whole entire state of California has Palm Trees (Yes even SF) so I really wouldn't count that one.
lol! Even Houston and the Texas coast has palm trees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City