Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 02:11 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times

Advertisements

Miami has a couple of palm trees too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 06:34 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboo<3seattle<3 View Post
u can argue that urself. u cant say the word continent has no ceased to have meaning.
Sure I can. If your view is that North and South America are "one continent" and Europe, Asia and Africa are "one continent" simply because they are connected, in some form, to each other, then I fail to see the usefulness of the term "continent" to describe a landmass. It's basically meaningless.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 PM

323 posts, read 1,425,748 times
SF ... how could we forget the famous cable cars? Name another city that has running cable cars

Old 11-23-2009, 08:55 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,944 times
Washington DC
Chicago
New Orleans
Toronto

Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 AM

I guess I should elaborate on my decisions:
Washington DC: it is an entirely planned city - every road and roundabout had a specific design - at least in the core area. Its original boundaries were a perfect square: 10 miles x 10 miles = 100 mi^2.
-Its also a federal district, so it's unique politically as well.

Chicago: It is known as the "first" skyscraper city- and it's a beautiful one at that. Most other Gotham-city types would kind of follow the trend of Chicago (NYC included).

New Orleans: It is mostly under the sea level, giving it a unique geographic character. It also is known as a french-speaking city, which is unique in the US. It is also one of the US' oldest large cities.

Toronto: I know it isn't in the USA, but this forum is called, "America's most unique cities" - and it certainly is in north america. I feel like Toronto is unique because of the fact that for one: it's probably the only healthy city located in the Great Lakes region. It is booming! And it's the world's most diverse of cities. Ever go there? There is no "majority race". At least to me there didn't seem to be one. it's a great thing! And it's also one of the world's safest cities. I wonder if there's a correlation there?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:09 AM

787 posts, read 1,696,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
I guess I should elaborate on my decisions:
Washington DC: it is an entirely planned city - every road and roundabout had a specific design - at least in the core area. Its original boundaries were a perfect square: 10 miles x 10 miles = 100 mi^2.
-Its also a federal district, so it's unique politically as well.

Chicago: It is known as the "first" skyscraper city- and it's a beautiful one at that. Most other Gotham-city types would kind of follow the trend of Chicago (NYC included).

New Orleans: It is mostly under the sea level, giving it a unique geographic character. It also is known as a french-speaking city, which is unique in the US. It is also one of the US' oldest large cities.

Toronto: I know it isn't in the USA, but this forum is called, "America's most unique cities" - and it certainly is in north america. I feel like Toronto is unique because of the fact that for one: it's probably the only healthy city located in the Great Lakes region. It is booming! And it's the world's most diverse of cities. Ever go there? There is no "majority race". At least to me there didn't seem to be one. it's a great thing! And it's also one of the world's safest cities. I wonder if there's a correlation there?

Chicago isn't healthy?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:17 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
just a few

Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 AM

Chicago actually seems to be relatively healthy, but it is losing population, and it has a very high crime rate.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
The city of Chicago was losing population at one time, but the past few years has shown it to be regaining population. And of course, the metro population is certainly increasing.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:23 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
There's a few about in Sydney, and northern Australia as well. Or so people have told me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City