Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the best climate?
Southern California (Mediterrianian) 83 40.49%
Texas (4 defined seasons) 9 4.39%
Arizona (Hot summers) 14 6.83%
Pacific Northwest (Warm summers, rainy winters) 23 11.22%
Central Plains (Highly variable and seasonal) 7 3.41%
Great Lakes (Lots of snow) 19 9.27%
North East (Variable, with some strong storms) 25 12.20%
Mid-Atlantic (Humid summers, mild winters) 33 16.10%
Gulf Coast (Hot and Humid, Prone to Hurricanes) 17 8.29%
Hawaii (Steady year round) 30 14.63%
Alaska (Cold and snowy) 4 1.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:07 AM

127 posts, read 924,836 times

Advertisements

Which region has the best climate in the US? In my opinion you need 4 seasons, but not to the extremes. Some snow, plenty of sunshine, less gloom, and little humidity are what i'm looking for. Whaddya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 05:23 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
Well it's an interesting poll. I think we need more votes on it.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:56 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,389 times
I grew up 'back east'. Born in Maine, spent early youth in New England, formative teen/early twenties in NY. I do miss the distinctive four seasons but as you get older, snow and icey conditions are highly overrated. At any age, humidity is horrible and to be avoided.

I vacation in Hawaii, usually Maui. No finer vacation place. But I could live never live there year round. Too confining, too 'the same' day in-day in. Boring even if beautiful.

Even Southern California, that constant state of sunny blue skies warm/hot temperatures gets on your nerves after a while.

Nothing beats the coastal NorthWest for climate. From San Francisco, thereabouts, north. There are definite seasons here, none of which are extreme along the coast (I can't speak for Washington State.. have never lived there). I understand that certain inland areas, like Portland, Eugene, places in Washington state, have months of endless fog and 'gloom.' That'd get old quickly, I guess.

Nope, found Paradise and plan to say. No more roaming around for me.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:02 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Texas "four defined seasons"????

What in de 'ell???

This poll needs some work.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:25 PM

127 posts, read 924,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Texas "four defined seasons"????

What in de 'ell???

This poll needs some work.
Well, what would you call it then? It's very hot and humid in the summer, warm and dryer in the fall, cool but not cold in the winter, and windy and unstable in the springtime. 4 defined seasons to me...

Old 03-27-2007, 08:46 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
Well, what would you call it then? It's very hot and humid in the summer, warm and dryer in the fall, cool but not cold in the winter, and windy and unstable in the springtime. 4 defined seasons to me...
Depends on what part of Texas and what your definition of seasons is. The Lower Rio Grande Valley, where the border hits the Gulf, I'd hardly call a land of four distinct seasons. The Gulf Coast area..I'd say its 2 distinct seasons: continuously hot and humid for about 8 months, rapidly changing temps and conditions in the other 4 (i.e. "Winter", or what passes for it).

El Paso? Hot and dry or Cold and Dry. A few Warm and Dry days, but not enough to call it a season

Dallas? MAYBE you can say there are four distinct seasons here, although I'd say 3 1/2 ("Spring", such as it is, tends to be quite short. Humidity-wise, it's just a slightly cooler version of summer).

If anything, only the Panhandle might be said to have 4 distinct seasons.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:11 PM

74 posts, read 470,206 times
I'll take Hawaii weather year round, hands down! I'd miss the snow from time to time, but thats what vacations are for!

Old 03-27-2007, 09:18 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
"Four Distinct Seasons" means, to me, (would love to hear other opinions?) :

Winter--Snow. Not "ice". Not "cold"... but snow, the white stuff. Sticks around for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Dec-Feb.

Spring--Grey and cloudy with frequent rainshowers, but a glimmer of hope as the trees start to bud, grass turns green, and bulbs push through the soil. Still cool. One needs a sweater and long pants. Mar-May.

Summer--warm, possibly humid, and lush and green. Fireflies. Thunderstorms. Jun-Aug.

Fall--trees burst into glorious gold/red/orange, a chill is in the air (one should be reaching for a sweater in Sept./Oct.). Pumpkins and other squash are harvested. Sept-Nov.

I lived in central TX for ~15 years and never saw four distinct seasons. Sorry.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
How did some people get to vote twice?

Old 03-28-2007, 02:15 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
You're missing THEE best of the best!!! SOFL!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Because we bad, we bad, you know it, we bad..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City