Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

It's a great city, though a lot of what gets touted (skyscrapers, nightlife, public transportation) is pretty common in a lot of developed megacities (Paris, Seoul, Taipei, Shanghai (unlike the rest of that country), Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, London, etc.). NYC is made unique even amongst the megacities through its old cultural institutions, great greenspaces, and ethnic diversity. Also, it's got a certain grittiness to it due to how much crap there is strewn all ove the streets and subways. I wouldn't exactly call that a good thing though.

All-in-all, NYC is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:51 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times
It is "the city" to put all other cities to shame. It is possibly the most diverse spot on the face of the earth. What is too bad is that Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn have lost a lot of their edge and sponteneity as of late, and have basically become a mall for the wealthy.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:03 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
So you're underwhelmed by New York and overwhelmed by that hick town Chicago of all places?
LOL. OK!
what the hell is wrong with you?? All I see when I read your post is ignorance, and that is the reason why many of us avoid NYC. Honestly I'd consider it the best city in the world if the people weren't so damn obnoxious. Chicago is a hick town?? Compared to what? New York? They are basically the same thing except Chicago is smaller.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:34 AM

177 posts, read 479,551 times
NYC is definitely one of the greatest cities in the world, bar none. I love the city, and the culture, history, diversity, entertainment etc are among the best, if not the best, in the country; and the outer boroughs alone crush most all other US cities in terms of sheer urbanity. I would say in the latter respect NYC is unmatched, and the public transportation system is clearly the best in the nation. In many ways it is the model most american cities strive for, or should strive for.

Unfortunately many Americans assume NYC to be the end-all, be-all of ALL cities worldwide, in size, density, busyness, highrises, urbanity, public transport, importance, etc. That simply is not the case. In asia cities are FAR more crowded, and far more alive. In europe other cities surpass the culture, history and even importance (London or Paris). But for the North American continent, NYC is certainly the top dog in these respects. It is also way too expensive for myself and others of the middle class, which I consider to be a problem. Due to the high cost of living, accessibility to all the awesome aspects of NYC is much more limited than in other great american cities. There appears to be a lack of a strong middle class in at least Manhattan and much of Brooklyn.

However, it is the most recognized city in the US and there is a reason for it. Im a Chicagoan, and speak highly of NYC. And while I like my city a little more, it is definitely in my top 5 in the US.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:35 AM

734 posts, read 2,053,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I would post a response to dementor, but he is on my ignore list

See how fantastic it can be?

I didn't know there actually was an ignore list. I did dem, euro, and pitt, and it feels wonderful. I see that dem and euro posted some (presumably) dumb ****, but I don't have to read it!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
what the hell is wrong with you?? All I see when I read your post is ignorance, and that is the reason why many of us avoid NYC. Honestly I'd consider it the best city in the world if the people weren't so damn obnoxious. Chicago is a hick town?? Compared to what? New York? They are basically the same thing except Chicago is smaller.
Right. And the Cubs are basically the same thing as the Yankees. Only less succesful, right?

Compared to New York with its might of cultural institutions Chicago is a hickstown, full of grumpy, pretentious, badly dressed and fat people.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I didn't know there actually was an ignore list. I did dem, euro, and pitt, and it feels wonderful. I see that dem and euro posted some (presumably) dumb ****, but I don't have to read it!
That's everyone I have on my ignore list Welcome to the club!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,308 times
Would be glad if we could put these immature zombies on the ignore list. They are so annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post

Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,435,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post

Right. And the Cubs are basically the same thing as the Yankees. Only less succesful, right?

Compared to New York with its might of cultural institutions Chicago is a hickstown, full of grumpy, pretentious, badly dressed and fat people.
For a person that boasts about NYC's cultural institutions, you have a major lack of tolerance and any sense of the "cultural sophistication" you act like you love so much. Calling a great city like Chicago a hickstown is rude and is blantantly the most "hick like" attitude I have seen yet on city data. If anyone is grumpy and pretentious it is you, so look in the mirror! I'm not even from Chicago by the way or really like it that much, but I wouldn't go around talking like that. You don't have to like Chicago, but you really crossed a line. Maybe NYC's biggest problem is that it has you

Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Chicago is NOT, and I do repeat NOT a smaller version of NYC.

If you think that a city located smack in the middle, of the Midwest, compares to one located smack on the Eastcoast, is a "smaller version", you have major perception problems!........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City