Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I wonder if all the people who are criticizing NYC have ever been to the other boroughs.
Personally I would choose Brooklyn, down around Sheepshead Bay. It's a great neighborhood near the water and it's urban without all the skyscrapers.

I'd say 95% of these people on CD who said they've been to NY, have never set foot in any of the other 4 boroughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:44 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'd say 95% of these people on CD who said they've been to NY, have never set foot in any of the other 4 boroughs.
And why would they?

The City markets itself to the world pretty much as Manhattan.

Visitors know of Brooklyn & Queens, but most don't think anything there would interest them. So they stay in Manhattan, and in their minds they have "done" New York.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And why would they?

The City markets itself to the world pretty much as Manhattan.

Visitors know of Brooklyn & Queens, but most don't think anything there would interest them. So they stay in Manhattan, and in their minds they have "done" New York.

The "real" NYC is in the outer-boroughs. Manhattan is like a disneyworld for tourists nowadays.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
The "real" NYC is in the outer-boroughs. Manhattan is like a disneyworld for tourists nowadays.
So, what's your point?

Your own City Government markets itself to the world that Manhattan IS New York. It obviously works - that's why tourists don't venture off Manhattan - they think that's all there is of interest.

If you think the outer boroughs don't see enough tourists, argue with the C&VB.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:57 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,417 times
One word Too Many people, people on top of people on top of people. The only compact city i could live in is Boston or philly. NYC is nice to visit thats it I used to think the only the only part to NYC was Manhanttan until i did a intern there and made friends that live as far as Mt vernon to coney island the bronx and brooklyn so i got to see those places while i was there.

Last edited by atlantaATL; 03-31-2009 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Default Yes, you can go deep sea fishing from Sheepshead Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I wonder if all the people who are criticizing NYC have ever been to the other boroughs.
Personally I would choose Brooklyn, down around Sheepshead Bay. It's a great neighborhood near the water and it's urban without all the skyscrapers.
Brooklyn is completely different from Manhattan. This is a growing downtown skyline but its a more low rise but dense city like London or Boston. It has its own orchestra, a major art museum, park system (including Prospect), the zoo, an aquarium, the botanical gardens and even a baseball team at Coney Island! Brooklyn itself is like an living historical museum - its oldest buildings date to the 1640s.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,217 times
Quote:
There are a lot of poeple living in Manhattan who never (or almost never) set their foot in "the boros". Manhattan is huge city by itself. I do not think the city markets itself to tourist as Manhattan only but most of the touristy events and institutions are in Manhattan. Then again US Open and Yankees operate out of the boros, so does Coney Island, Bronx Zoo, Silverspoon etc etc. It all depends how much outside of Manhattan you want to see.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:25 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Wink You forgot to mention the Mets !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
There are a lot of poeple living in Manhattan who never (or almost never) set their foot in "the boros". Manhattan is huge city by itself. I do not think the city markets itself to tourist as Manhattan only but most of the touristy events and institutions are in Manhattan. Then again US Open and Yankees operate out of the boros, so does Coney Island, Bronx Zoo, Silverspoon etc etc. It all depends how much outside of Manhattan you want to see.
Silverspoon? Do you mean Silvercup, one of the studios in LIC/Astoria? Also lol, its not just the Yankees, ALL FOUR of the outer boroughs now have baseball teams, including the best team, the New York Mets in Flushing, Queens!

Old 03-31-2009, 11:15 AM

Pictures of the outer-boroughs of NYC. Little known areas to tourists who never leave Manhattan!

Queens, the most ethnic county in the country:

That's my podiatrist on the right

Arthur ave in the Bronx, the real Little Italy...not the fake one in Manhattan:

Brooklyn:

Brooklyn botanical gardens:

Old 03-31-2009, 11:18 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,558,690 times
Nice pics; I second Arthur Ave. in the Bronx, it's worth the trip out there. Way more laid-back and authentic than Little Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City