U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-01-2009, 10:55 PM

1,576 posts, read 3,421,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
And your "Yuck" comment is so adult like? Nothing in downtown S.A. Skyline? . San Antonio is known for it's rich historical architecture.

Buffalo seems to be nicely illuminated but S.A. lights it up as well.

Not bad at night for SA. But I still dont understand your first comment. I'm not the only one who thinks that SA's skyline is pathetic for the city of its magnitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:53 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,288,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Not bad at night for SA. But I still dont understand your first comment. I'm not the only one who thinks that SA's skyline is pathetic for the city of its magnitude.
San Antonio's downtown isn't about skyscrapers, i'ts built more on charm and historical significance. Downtown does have a 750 foot Tower, 546 foot Marriott, and several in the 400-500 foot range as well as 300-400 foot range. San Antonio's skyscrapers are spread out because of the River and Alamo and other landmarks.
Most of San Antonio's corporations, the Glass and steel are outside downtown. There is easily over 100, 10-25 floor high rises outside downtown. However San Antonio has several high rises planned for downtown, a 27, 24 are planned and several in the 15-20 range under construction or just finished.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio's downtown isn't about skyscrapers, i'ts built more on charm and historical significance. Downtown does have a 750 foot Tower, 546 foot Marriott, and several in the 400-500 foot range as well as 300-400 foot range. San Antonio's skyscrapers are spread out because of the River and Alamo and other landmarks.
Most of San Antonio's corporations, the Glass and steel are outside downtown. There is easily over 100, 10-25 floor high rises outside downtown. However San Antonio has several high rises planned for downtown, a 27, 24 are planned and several in the 15-20 range under construction or just finished.
Well, I look forward to seeing your city progress and build up in hopefully a more aesthetically appealing skyline mixed of historic and modern, just as Buffalo is doing.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 PM

559 posts, read 875,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
It looks the same.
Then your possibly an idiot. Did you even compare them?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:27 PM

4,388 posts, read 11,080,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
IDK forsure if it will happen,but do you honestly like the older ones better?
Some people just don't like glass..I think glass if used right is very classy.
I like glass. But not when they (at least i though they were going to) replace things like those twins. I was one of those people who always thought the wtc was great looking, and those twins are designed by the same architect that did the wtc

Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 PM

706 posts, read 1,718,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
LOL your funny, if I was world dictator then of course I would move all the poor folks who live in these cities to temporary relocation sites. Then I would ensure the complete destruction of the cities themselves.

I am just joking, I am just trying to illustrate the gross nature of these cities I just listed. There so ugly to look at!! Yuck!
This coming from a canadian where your brain freaken freezes because it's so cold & depressing!!!
Go bury your head in the snow!!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:34 AM

361 posts, read 639,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Well, I look forward to seeing your city progress and build up in hopefully a more aesthetically appealing skyline mixed of historic and modern, just as Buffalo is doing.
Surprisingly Buffalo doesn't look bad. That city gets a bad rap, seems underrated to me.

San Antonio has a beautiful walkable downtown, with beautifully preserved ornate architecture. Throw in a lively urban river, makes it one of the better downtown's. San Antonio will never have a Houston or Dallas skyline, nor does it wan't it.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
Surprisingly Buffalo doesn't look bad. That city gets a bad rap, seems underrated to me.

San Antonio has a beautiful walkable downtown, with beautifully preserved ornate architecture. Throw in a lively urban river, makes it one of the better downtown's. San Antonio will never have a Houston or Dallas skyline, nor does it wan't it.
A few scrapers wouldn't hurt though, right?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:23 AM

361 posts, read 639,605 times
I don't think any city would gripe much, only places with lots of downtown landmarks and strict building regulations.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:07 PM

5,269 posts, read 8,621,202 times
Eh, skylines don't mean anything for a city other than an ego boost. Many crappy cities (and suburban ones) have wonderful skylines and many excellent cities don't.

Portland, Maine is the largest and most important city in Maine (nearly 500,000 CSA). It has a TERRIBLE (nearly non-existent) skyline but is highly regarded for its charming/ quaint downtown streets.

Portland, ME
http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img....jpg&srv=img29
(it's worth noting that part of the reason that these buildings even stand out as much as they do is because they sit on a ridge that is well above the surrounding area. The tallest building that isn't a church spire is under 180 feet)

Boston's skyline isn't considered wonderful, but its downtown area is. Rosslyn VA has a better skyline than Washington D.C., but which city would you rather visit? When you're in Paris, would you rather spend your city in La Defense than the older, more historic parts of the city? Wouldn't you rather walk around Old Montreal or along St. Catherine Street than walk around portion of downtown with the high-rises? Quebec City- Old City or New City's highrises? I could go on.

Anyway, towers don't do anything but give people an unwarranted ego (this was different in the days of the ESB, Chrysler Building, etc which are truly gems). A good city may have a nice skyline which provides an OK view from afar; but a GREAT city has something for you to do once you're in town. Too many cities with tall buildings today have nothing to offer you once you're there.

Last edited by JMT; 08-20-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City