Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:12 PM

294 posts, read 781,757 times

Advertisements

Raleigh is pretty close. I used to live in Charlotte and thought about moving to Raleigh but the only downside to me was lack of of more urban environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:14 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
No city is perfect, of course. But what city (or metro) comes closest to being the best all around place to live for a wide variety of people. Which place meets more of these criteria than any other?

1. Great weather
2. Good economic climate
3. Good public/private schools
4. Good recreational opportunities
5. Decent diversity
6. Decent scenery
7. Friendly people
8. Great sports
9. Good infrastructure
10. Decent cultural offerings
11. Good/great institutions of higher learning
12. Educated populous
13. Good value for housing
14. Good/decent public transportation (including airports)
15. Low to moderate crime (city or metro)
16. Good shopping
17. Good food
I'd say Stamford, CT.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:15 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Yeah it is a nice city but the housing is still pretty crazy. Plus, any city near the border is concerning, in relation to crime. True it may become very safe with an armed border but still, a bummer for San Diego to be so close to that craziness. Beyond that I think its a great place.
El Paso and San Diego are two of the safest large cities in America. A lot of people seem to have this misconception that living by the border automatically increases crime, which is not true.

The median home price (all homes including condos) in Feb was $285K for San Diego County. It's not the cheapest but not as ridiculous as it was over the past few years. But the desirable areas are still very expensive which is why I didn't rate SD has having a good value even though its better than it has been in the past 5-7 years imo.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:11 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,911 times
That is why I said "armed border", and not crime in the city. It is more a perception. On my last business trip I met a marketing rep from SD and she was pretty nervous about the situation, but that is her opinion. With so much law enforcement down there, it better be safe

Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 PM

269 posts, read 468,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Raleigh and Dallas don't exactly have very good schools though.

Really? Do you have a lot of experience with schools in the Dallas metro area? The public high school I attended is consistently ranked in the top 20 in America (Newsweek). In that same study, 2 of the top 5 high schools were in Dallas.

The suburbs also have excellent school systems (Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake, Plano, etc.).

Where did you get your information from?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:32 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
1. Great weather-Superb.
2. Good economic climate-A Juggernaut.
3. Good public/private schools-Excellent.
4. Good recreational opportunities-Is there anywhere better?
5. Decent diversity-Honey, we wrote the book.
6. Decent scenery-Miss Photogenic if ever there was one.
7. Friendly people-Salt of the Earth, We have lots of weirdos too.
8. Great sports-Yup.
9. Good infrastructure-Yup.
10. Decent cultural offerings-World Class
11. Good/great institutions of higher learning-Ours are heralded the world over.
12. Educated populous-turn over a rock, find a PhD.
13. Good value for housing-YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
14. Good/decent public transportation (including airports)-Excellent.
15. Low to moderate crime (city or metro)-Most areas are safe.
16. Good shopping-Among the very best.
17. Good food-Probably the best food.

The Bay Area probably ranks 1st, 2nd or 3rd in most of these categories.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
3. Good public/private schools-Excellent.
Even though much of this is subjective, I just don't see how anyone could rank any CA metro area as having "excellent" schools overall when there are so many bad ones too. The state is just bad overall and no CA metro even breaks the Top 10 for best public schools:
2006 METRO PUBLIC SCHOOLS QUOTIENT: Here's How to Evaluate the Public Schools for an Entire Metro Area

Let's face it, CA's K-12 system is pretty pathetic.

Quote:
9. Good infrastructure-Yup.
Nope. CA's metros have some of the worst roads in the entire nation. How can you drive in SF and even claim that with a straight face?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/2005-05...terstitialskip

Quote:
which is not a whole lot, I doubt many people consider paying $500k minimum to get into a good school district a "good value".

Quote:
15. Low to moderate crime (city or metro)-Most areas are safe.
This surprised me somewhat, but the Bay Area actually ranks pretty bad overall when it comes to crime:
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/Metr...8_Rank_Rev.pdf

I love the Bay Area but it has plenty of problems that you seem to be overlooking. The Bay Area ranks well in most of those categories, but like most CA metros suffer from bad schools, bad roads, and overpriced homes as well crime. And I'm only picking on you just b/c the Bay Area is the only other place I know well enough to comment on.

Last edited by sav858; 03-30-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Raleigh and Dallas don't exactly have very good schools though.
according to this study they do actually:

2006 METRO PUBLIC SCHOOLS QUOTIENT: Here's How to Evaluate the Public Schools for an Entire Metro Area

Last edited by sav858; 03-30-2009 at 08:20 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Even though much of this is subjective, I just don't see how anyone could rank any CA metro area as having "excellent" schools overall when there are so many bad ones too. The state is just bad overall and no CA metro even breaks the Top 10 for best public schools:

Let's face it, CA's K-12 system is pretty pathetic.
But there are many, many bright spots and the Bay Area has tons of great schools-as do LA and SD.

Quote:
Nope. CA's metros have some of the worst roads in the entire nation. How can you drive in SF and even claim that with a straight face?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/2005-05...terstitialskip
Take BART, read a book.

Otherwise, Id have to agree with ya.

Quote:

which is not a whole lot, I doubt many people consider paying $500k minimum to get into a good school district a "good value".
But this is California and to us, that is a good value.

Quote:
This surprised me somewhat, but the Bay Area actually ranks pretty bad overall when it comes to crime:
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/Metr...8_Rank_Rev.pdf
Our most dangerous areas drag down the whole Metro but overall, the Bay Area is fine.

Quote:
I love the Bay Area but it has plenty of problems that you seem to be overlooking.
Oh we've got problems, but our pluses overwhelm just about every other Metro Area.

Quote:
The Bay Area ranks well in most of those categories, but like most CA metros suffer from bad schools, bad roads, and overpriced homes as well crime.
But when weighed against the pros, CA is pretty darn attractive.

Quote:
And I'm only picking on you just b/c the Bay Area is the only other place I know well enough to comment on.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Having recently moved away from the Bay Area after having lived there for many years, I agree that it is a very nice place to live, but the housing situation there is completely horrid. Anyone who would pay $700k for what you can get for that amount there (even in this buyer's market) is completely off their rocker! I don't care how much $$$ they make, it's just plain foolish economics.

And, whoever thinks Raleigh NC is closest to perfection...
AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City