U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:27 PM

294 posts, read 668,123 times

Advertisements

No city is perfect, of course. But what city (or metro) comes closest to being the best all around place to live for a wide variety of people. Which place meets more of these criteria than any other?

1. Great weather
2. Good economic climate
3. Good public/private schools
4. Good recreational opportunities
5. Decent diversity
6. Decent scenery
7. Friendly people
8. Great sports
9. Good infrastructure
10. Decent cultural offerings
11. Good/great institutions of higher learning
12. Educated populous
13. Good value for housing
14. Good/decent public transportation (including airports)
15. Low to moderate crime (city or metro)
16. Good shopping
17. Good food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:01 PM

1,673 posts, read 1,488,115 times
Raleigh meets most of those requirements in the regard of being rated high or very high. It has been described as one of America's "possible" Renaissance cities for 21st Century, is one of the top educated metros in the country, and tops several "lists", if you believe them, as an excellent place to live and have a career. A lot can change over time however...

I will say what one person sees as perfection another will see as hell...

In detail:

1.) Has four seasons but can be considered very mild and enjoyable. Majority of temps seem to be in the 70s with some humidity.
2.) One of the best cities in the country for professionals, though layoffs are happening. Long term, amazing potential.
3.) Schools, from word of mouth, are "ok". NC needs to work a bit on their K-12 education but has one of the best environments for the teaching profession, so hopefully attracts quality teachers. College wise it is stellar here though that very few cities world wide can compete with.
4.) Within 2 hours, you have it: mountains, beaches, forests, fields, rivers, and everything that goes with it. Only thing missing is the Rockies
5.) Lots of minorities and foreign tech green cards in the area. Biotech or IT related for the later. High level of transplants from all around the country, especially in Cary.
6.) "City of Oaks" so if you like trees...and more trees...
7.) Subjective but I haven't ran into too many rude people. They exist everywhere though.
8.) College Basketball (the rivalry/game intensity here can NOT be beat anywhere in the nation for a single locality) and Hockey (NHL). College football is meh but UNC is improving. Lots of other popular NCAA level sports. No other professional sports unless you drive a few hours.
9.) This could use work in my opinion highway wise, but they just approved a 2nd beltline so at least they are thinking about it...
10.) State Capitol, multiple museums, and several colleges add the majority of culture here. Nothing stellar like DC or NYC.
11.) Raleigh and the local area is one of the best areas in the country for higher learning. Only a few areas, like Boston, may be higher in name.
12.) Raleigh is the 2nd most educated city in the nation. That says enough.
13.) Raleigh's housing market never exploded and is one of the stronger ones in the nation at the moment. It is predicted to decrease in value this year but not by much. Save certain areas, it is affordable.
14.) I haven't used it but I believe it has light rail and an ok bus system. The airport is extremely nice and they just built a new terminal that opened in the past couple months. Has direct flights for some carriers over seas.
15.) Crime is moderate and could use improving. I think it is below average though.
16.) Shopping I'm not familiar enough with but has almost all major retailers. Specialty or super high end I have no clue.
17.) Subjective but has some excellent resturants; however I rarely eat out up there so I can't comment here very well.

Last edited by Maabus1999; 03-30-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 04:02 PM

2,057 posts, read 4,760,303 times
dallas, texas

Old 03-30-2009, 04:04 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,782,142 times
Raleigh and Dallas don't exactly have very good schools though.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
the suburbs do

Old 03-30-2009, 04:16 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,508,446 times
Even though all of these are fairly subjective I'll do mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
No city is perfect, of course. But what city (or metro) comes closest to being the best all around place to live for a wide variety of people. Which place meets more of these criteria than any other?

1. Great weather - yes
2. Good economic climate - not now and jobs don't pays as much as they should
3. Good public/private schools - mixed bag but overall CA's public schools are not that great overall
4. Good recreational opportunities
5. Decent diversity
6. Decent scenery
7. Friendly people

8. Great sports (two pro teams)
9. Good infrastructure - its falling apart
10. Decent cultural offerings (it's not SF, LA, or NYC but offers enough)
11. Good/great institutions of higher learning (several colleges including UCSD - one of the top ranked public universities)
12. Educated populous (SD is one of the Top 10 most educated cities)
13. Good value for housing - haha!
14. Good/decent public transportation (including airports)
- compared to other cities across the nation, not really. Compared to other sunbelt and SoCal cities I would call it decent.
15. Low to moderate crime (city or metro) - pretty low crime rate overall
16. Good shopping - not really my thing, its no LA, NYC, etc.. but good for a metro its size
17. Good food - pretty subjective, its not in the Top 10 at all but has plenty of good food around. If you like Mexican or seafood then one would probably enjoy the food here

Last edited by sav858; 03-30-2009 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: added "though", "ubjective" -> "subjective"

Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 PM

1,341 posts, read 3,690,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Even all of these are fairly ubjective I'll do mine
I think San Diego is probably as close as it gets in every category.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
#13 - good value for your house

SD is VERY expensive

Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Huh? Raleigh doesn't? By what crazy definition? We're talking the metro, not what is within some line that says "city limits", if I'm not mistaken....

If I need to clarify, I will say Raleigh-Durham which is the metro area's name, but I think that is being very picky...

Old 03-30-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Yeah it is a nice city but the housing is still pretty crazy. Plus, any city near the border is concerning, in relation to crime. True it may become very safe with an armed border but still, a bummer for San Diego to be so close to that craziness. Beyond that I think its a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or