Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 11:37 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
wisconsin

best culture, best people, near the top in outdoors

SF has the best weather, the only thing wrong is the people, West Coast people, well...

Boston is cool, but not the outdoor opportunities of upper Great Lakes midwest.

Chicago is probably the best big city, Boston right after.
Cheese head land has some nice parts, but the real measure is just how much in a givin area compared to other places in the same givin area. I think Wi. Will come up a little short. You do not have to look far , to the north , and the UP ( Upper Michigan) for comparison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 07:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
South Dakota seems nice

Old 05-11-2014, 07:41 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Chelsea, Manhattan, New York.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:52 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Cheese head land has some nice parts, but the real measure is just how much in a givin area compared to other places in the same givin area. I think Wi. Will come up a little short. You do not have to look far , to the north , and the UP ( Upper Michigan) for comparison
In English please?

Old 05-12-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
In English please?
"Cheese Head " is a common word usage , as are
us folks up here in Upper Michigan . In fact the word " Yooper" has now been recognized by the dictionary .

Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
San Francisco, NY, Boston, Portland, Philadelphia.. in that order

Old 05-12-2014, 08:31 PM

731 posts, read 935,167 times
Has anyone moved to a different part of the country and found that it made you happier? So many people dispute that moving to a new location improves their lives, but I feel that living in a place with more sun would greatly improve my disposition. Am I wrong? I've never lived anywhere else...

Old 05-12-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
Has anyone moved to a different part of the country and found that it made you happier? So many people dispute that moving to a new location improves their lives, but I feel that living in a place with more sun would greatly improve my disposition. Am I wrong? I've never lived anywhere else...
No, more sunshine / daylight is a good thing , that said too much of any climate is not so good. Man was ment to move along with nature. That can sometimes mean a vacation , seasonal change , and not just warmer weather, yes it's rain, snow , sun , wind , and cold too.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:35 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,135 times
First I'd like to try out San Francisco, then Seattle, then Portland, Oregon, then Portland, Maine.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:43 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
In short, yes. However, I don't know that it was so much where I moved TO as it was the fact that I moved FROM the place I didn't care for (Portland, ME for the record).

I think it depends on the individual. There are plenty of folks who blame their problems on where they live. Many times, the person will have the same problem regardless of where they live. It's easier to say, "I'm angry because ______ is a crappy city" than it is to say, "I'm angry because I made crappy life decisions." Plenty of people have the grass is greener syndrom.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people who end up living in a place where they don't quite fit in. I think this mostly happens with people who move to a new city for work. Lots of people aren't city people or have a place that they really like but they move to another city because it's the only place or one of the only places with decent work opportunities in their field.

I think the above is one of the primary reasons that those "states that residents are most/least likely to want to move" typically show the more rural states as being more content than the more urbanized states. Most people aren't in rural states because they have to be for work. Most people are there because they choose to be. If they didn't want to be there, they'd be able to find more opportunity in another place.

For me, Portland Maine was a bad fit. I read the hype the city was getting ( a ton back in the mid 2000s) and didn't do my research. It was smaller and less active than I anticipated and I was miserable. I was happier after I moved, but it was my fault that I didn't like it because I chose a place without looking into it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City