Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 06:36 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm living the dream and living in the Midwest/Great Lakes region. I recognize that the other regions of the country have nicer weather and, in some cases, more scenery, but the overall amenities offered in the Midwest for the cost is unmatched anywhere else in the country. I feel lucky that weather doesn't deter me as much as it does for many people, otherwise i may not be able to handle living here. There are always days/weeks each year (especially winter, but also sometimes summer) where I question why I live in such a climate, but the weather changes again and I'm happy again. I'd find it very difficult to not have multiple seasons.

The ideal climate for me includes 4 distinct seasons, with a snowy and cold enough winter to enjoy outdoor recreation in the ice and snow, but with periodic thaws, pleasant long (3 months) springs and falls, and warm summers that are mostly mild at <85 degrees but has numerous days with 85+ weather for enjoying outdoor recreation at pools and beaches. I prefer some humidity over dry air (asthma, skin) but like most people don't like stifling humidity. I like big summer storms but hate rain-out days (days where it rains/drizzles constantly all day), and I love big snows. Aside from cities within the Midwest, the cities that meet these criteria the best are NYC, Boston and Denver, but none of them are perfect either (well, NYC/Boston are very close for outside the Midwest cities). Basically I want Minneapolis with milder (but still sub-32) winters and more thaws, or Chicago/Omaha/Detroit/Cleveland with better winter outdoor recreation options (again, sub-32 consistently to support ice rinks and sledding/ski hills).

If you are in the upper Midwest, periodic thaws are not to be found. Second, WINTER is longer than three months! I know that from time in Chicago and a native there joking about how short spring season is. You might like big snows but YOU are in the minority on that for sure, not only in the U.S. but basically world wide. Second, BOSTON has long winters. NYC is not too far behind. Denver is more of what you seek because its numerous sunny days help to melt the late winter snows fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 06:45 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
If you are in the upper Midwest, periodic thaws are not to be found. Second, WINTER is longer than three months! I know that from time in Chicago and a native there joking about how short spring season is. You might like big snows but YOU are in the minority on that for sure, not only in the U.S. but basically world wide. Second, BOSTON has long winters. NYC is not too far behind. Denver is more of what you seek because its numerous sunny days help to melt the late winter snows fast.
It's a choice….not yours to criticize.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:46 AM

Boston, toooo damn cold and unwelcoming people.
NYC, tooo damn cold, costly,crowded and crumbling in 40% of the city proper.
If money were no object, and it had decent water supply, Southern California would have 30 million people because of its weather and great scenery. I have a cousin there. Nowhere on earth can you both go skiing in the morning (Big Bear lake) and drive two hours west and play beach volleyball the same day.

Hard for me to pick a specific town because no place is perfect but regionally, the west coast of north America from Cabo San Lucas in Mexico to Beautiful British Columbia, Canada is as scenically beautiful and clean.

I'm in the north Texas area. Not as busy as the east coast, not as scenic as the west coast, not as historical as Chicago but a nice blend of all. What's unique for an inland area is the number of lakes for recreation is substantial.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
It's a choice….not yours to criticize.

Uh, posters critique on this forum ALL THE TIME. And when you say winter is three months long in the upper Midwest, then I'm going to call you or anyone else on it. It's like someone in Phoenix trying to say summers are three months long.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:36 AM

623 posts, read 958,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd94595 View Post
It does not matter if you have a job or family living nearby, I am just wondering why you owuld pick to live in a particular part of the country if you had nothing holding you back.
Not far from here. There's a little town called Haines about 80 miles north of here that is the center of the outdoors universe. It's about the only place I would consider besides Juneau

Old 04-20-2016, 02:34 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Santa Monica, CA

Old 04-20-2016, 08:23 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
Manhattan, basically the capital of the world. Would be great if money was no object.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:56 AM

40 posts, read 35,198 times
Probably in the Hollywood Hills part of LA or Old City in Philadelphia.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:51 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,103 times
San Diego, CA area. On the oceanfront.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:02 AM

18 posts, read 37,251 times
Easy to answer, Kailua, on the Windward coast of Oahu, Hawaii. I’ve been there many times and it’s my favorite place on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City