Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: http://www.city-data.com/forum/poll.php?do=postpoll&t=607147Favorite SOUTHERN STATE
Florida 26 15.66%
Georgia 12 7.23%
South Carolina 7 4.22%
North Carolina 18 10.84%
Virginia 18 10.84%
West Virginia 3 1.81%
Kentucky 6 3.61%
Alabama 7 4.22%
Mississippi 2 1.20%
Tennessee 14 8.43%
Louisiana 12 7.23%
Texas 33 19.88%
Oklohama 4 2.41%
Arkansas 4 2.41%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 05:20 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Here's some love for the KY. But still my favorite state will always be Virginia even though i HATE the part i live in now. But still i love Kentucky.
Thank you too hon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 05:31 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Oklahoma and Texas should go too, except for maybe the Houston area.
You can't go any farther south than those two states unless you go to Mexico

Old 04-04-2009, 05:36 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Well, I'll give it some. KY is a beautiful state. It takes my breath away every time I drive through it.

Driving through and staying are two different things

Old 04-04-2009, 06:35 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,216 times
Florida.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Driving through and staying are two different things
I take it you don't care for Kentucky? Have you been here?

Old 04-06-2009, 03:09 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,401,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When did West Virginia become a Southern State? Never has been in my opinion.
Well as a WV native let me give you'ns a one up.
WV by the Mason Dixon is a Southern State, even Maryland for that matter. When Virginia succeeded from the union WV was also south and neutral south until 20 June 1863.
Stonewall Jackson was a West Virginian, then again so was Don Knotts.

Now, in all reality from a geographic standpoint WV is considered once again Middle or Mid-Atlantic inclusive of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.

So like the wind, sometimes it blows north and sometimes south. It's a toss-up. All in all, you will find WV has much, much, more in common with the South than the North.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:35 PM

210 posts, read 845,395 times
I've always liked arkansas and always fun when I'v visited.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:07 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,531 times
Georgia: Beautiful barrier islands, majestic blue ridge mountains, beautiful suburban Atlanta and the big city life that it all brings. Endless forests, from pine in the south, to mixed hardwood/pine across the Piedmont, to hardwood Deciduous across the mountains. There's also Ridges and Valleys in the northwest, along with Cloudland Canyon.

Florida: One is awestruck when driving on US 1 from key to key, or taking in the endless forms of entertainment in the Orlando area. Beautiful coastlines, orange groves, and pine forests.

North Carolina: Simply fantastic, from the Smokies and Blue Ridge Mountains, to the family-oriented mid-sized Piedmont Metropolitan areas of Charlotte, the Piedmont Triad, and the Research Triangle. Sensational inner and outer banks.

Alabama: Nice large lakes for recreation along the Tennessee Valley. Beautiful low mountains of north Alabama. Sugar white sands of the gulf. Beautiful residential areas and a great quality of life in metro Birmingham. Cathedral and Desoto Caverns

Tennessee: Wonderful drives throughout the Smokies, interesting views of Appalachian culture. Nashville: Music City USA. The winding curves of the Mississippi River as they flow by Memphis and Beale Street.

Mississippi: Beautiful, lush pine forests of central and southern Mississippi. Historical Oxford, Vicksburg, and Natchez. Beautiful coast.

Kentucky: Rolling grassy hills, surrounded by horse farms in the areas around Lexington. Colorful Deciduous forests in eastern Kentucky. Mammoth Cave

Virginia: The splendor of the Chesapeake Bay, especially with its series of tunnels and "islands" that offers someone a drive like none other. Historic Williamsburg, the Hampton Roads area, historic Richmond, beautiful scenery along I-81 and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great relaxation and fun, tubing along the New River.

Louisiana: The neatness of the swamps, alligators, Cajun Culture and New Orleans.

Arkansas: The beautiful Quachita and Boston Mountains. The only diamond mine in the United States

Texas: Large cities, vast plains, deserts, oil fields, the space industry.

South Carolina: Historic Charleston, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach. The unique quality of the upstate to the rest of South Carolina.

Every southern state is blessed, in my opinion.

Last edited by City Fanatic; 04-06-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-06-2009, 04:20 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,734,259 times
Hmmm, they all have their fine points but just having moved from Georgia to Virginia, I'm going with Virginia! I'm so in love with this state! Those Blue Ridge Mtns are gorgeous! And the history...and the people...it's just a great place!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Georgia: Beautiful barrier islands, majestic blue ridge mountains, beautiful suburban Atlanta and the big city life that it all brings. Endless forests, from pine in the south, to mixed hardwood/pine across the Piedmont, to hardwood Deciduous across the mountains. There's also Ridges and Valleys in the northwest, along with Cloudland Canyon.

Florida: One is awestruck when driving on US 1 from key to key, or taking in the endless forms of entertainment in the Orlando area. Beautiful coastlines, orange groves, and pine forests.

North Carolina: Simply fantastic, from the Smokies and Blue Ridge Mountains, to the family-oriented mid-sized Piedmont Metropolitan areas of Charlotte, the Piedmont Triad, and the Research Triangle. Sensational inner and outer banks.

Alabama: Nice large lakes for recreation along the Tennessee Valley. Beautiful low mountains of north Alabama. Sugar white sands of the gulf. Beautiful residential areas and a great quality of life in metro Birmingham. Cathedral and Desoto Caverns

Tennessee: Wonderful drives throughout the Smokies, interesting views of Appalachian culture. Nashville: Music City USA. The winding curves of the Mississippi River as they flow by Memphis and Beale Street.

Mississippi: Beautiful, lush pine forests of central and southern Mississippi. Historical Oxford, Vicksburg, and Natchez. Beautiful coast.

Kentucky: Rolling grassy hills, surrounded by horse farms in the areas around Lexington. Colorful Deciduous forests in eastern Kentucky. Mammoth Cave

Virginia: The splendor of the Chesapeake Bay, especially with its series of tunnels and "islands" that offers someone a drive like none other. Historic Williamsburg, the Hampton Roads area, historic Richmond, beautiful scenery along I-81 and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great relaxation and fun, tubing along the New River.

Louisiana: The neatness of the swamps, alligators, Cajun Culture and New Orleans.

Arkansas: The beautiful Quachita and Boston Mountains. The only diamond mine in the United States

Texas: Large cities, vast plains, deserts, oil fields, the space industry.

Every southern state is blessed, in my opinion.
wonderful post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City