Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fairfield County vs. Westchester vs. Northern NJ
Fairfield County (Greenwich; Darien; New Canaan; Westport; Fairfield, etc.) 18 30.00%
Westchester (Chappaqua; Scarsdale; Bronxville; Larchmont; Armonk; Rye etc.) 12 20.00%
Northern NJ (Alpine; Saddle River; Short Hills; Ridgewood etc.) 30 50.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:06 AM

5 posts, read 14,249 times

Advertisements

Grew up New City, much prefer Northern NJ. Very green, nice spaces, parks, shopping, golf, skiing, beaches etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 02:17 PM

334 posts, read 438,166 times
Wow interesting thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:49 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,558 times
If you don't want your kids to have grating accents, Fairfield County.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I actually think people around here are losing their accents. My grandfather has more of a pronounced accent than my father, who has more of a pronounced accent than my brother and I. Accents in general, IMO, are less pronounced than they used to be.

I understand you may have been joking, but since people seem to think the NY/NJ accent is something terrible, I'd like to point out it's dying out within newer generations.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:43 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
You knew someone was going to insert a mind numbingly predictable generalization into this conversation. At least be clever about it.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Fairfield County.

There's a lot more breathing space between houses, and the houses are some of the nicest in the country. There are no tolls, and shoreline is very nice. It's the most rural of the three.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Fairfield County.

There's a lot more breathing space between houses, and the houses are some of the nicest in the country. There are no tolls, and shoreline is very nice. It's the most rural of the three.
You make a good argument for Fairfield and I pretty much agree. I wish more of Long Island was better developed like Fairfield (in other words less developed). Long Island does have a nicer shoreline.

Northern Westchester County is also less crowded and in some place less developed then Fairfield. I think Westchester and Fairfield are actually quite similar in some ways. Its almost like Fairfield should be called "Eastchester". Or Westchester should be called "Fairchester".

I am surprised Westchester is doing so badly on this poll. Does not make any sense to me and I definitely would pick it over the majority of the other counties in the Tri State area.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I don't understand why Northern NJ is winning in the poll, either. It seemed like a very congested, run down area to me, with horrible roads.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
I don't understand why Northern NJ is winning in the poll, either. It seemed like a very congested, run down area to me, with horrible roads.
Possibly because the OP has the whole of Northern New Jersey vs. Westchester vs. Fairfield. Northern NJ contains up to 14 counties*, a boatload of cities (Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Patterson), many suburbs and rural areas. Much of the area is NOT run down and is often beautiful with hills, lakes and even a famous waterfall. So it makes sense to vote for Northern New Jersey.

* North Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Short Hills is in Essex County but the other three communities are in Bergen so a better poll would be Bergen vs. Westchester vs. Fairfield.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:04 PM

334 posts, read 438,166 times
Quote:
Seriously North Jersey is a very large and diverse area. Take Bergen County as an example, very diverse from north to south. Roads are generally good, and excellent in some areas. Fairfield County has some bad roads as well but I do like Stamford and Greenwich. We have lots of towns like Greenwich, and some that have more urban feel. We also have no traffic on Sundays due to blue laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City