Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Thanks to whomever moved this to the City v. City thread so it could be turned into yet another useless bickerfest instead of addressing the original question.
Which never would have happened if some of your more "enlightened" neighbors hadn't started slamming Atlanta in oh-so-typical fashion.

I mean, the OP in his initial thread had to refer to us as "yahoos," then we are treated to a pic of the destruction of Atlanta.

Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 11:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Which never would have happened if some of your more "enlightened" neighbors hadn't started slamming Atlanta in oh-so-typical fashion.

I mean, the OP in his initial thread had to refer to us as "yahoos," then we are treated to a pic of the destruction of Atlanta.

Nice.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:28 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Well, of course it doesn't compare. Our system is only within two counties, with not a dime of State support.

Considering what we have to work with, and our size compared to the cities you listed - our rail ridership is very respectable.
I suppose my post was more directed towards LovinDecatur because he thought I was making unfounded claims...I was simply saying I was looking at statistics.

And upon further review, I give a lot of credit to Atlanta since they apparently have almost equal 'ridership per mile' statistics as Chicago (6,329 vs 6,185 in favor of Chi)...I had no idea the CTA was so uncrowded considering how it compares to the other major mass-transit cities like NYC (34,172), Boston (13,224), Philly (11,560) and DC (9,595).

Here's the link where I'm getting my information:
List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
By scrolling to the bottom of that page, you can find the statistics for commuter rail, light rail, and bus ridership.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I suppose my post was more directed towards LovinDecatur because he thought I was making unfounded claims...I was simply saying I was looking at statistics.

And upon further review, I give a lot of credit to Atlanta since they apparently have almost equal 'ridership per mile' statistics as Chicago (6,329 vs 6,185 in favor of Chi)...I had no idea the CTA was so uncrowded considering how it compares to the other major mass-transit cities like NYC (34,172), Boston (13,224), Philly (11,560) and DC (9,595).

List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
By scrolling to the bottom of that page, you can find the statistics for commuter rail, light rail, and bus ridership.
Good info - thanks.

On a different note, hope you had fun while you were in town!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:55 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Oh I had a blast everytime I went to Atlanta. I went to Clemson, so I was only a couple hours away. The three most notable times I went to Atlanta were when I went to the SEC Championship, went to a Celtics vs Hawks game last year (we won ) and for my friend's wedding last spring which was at the Georgia Aquarium. It was an amazing night, after the wedding my friend's father-in-law rented out the entire top floor of a bar near the aquarium...I think it was called Stats? It was a great night, and a great way to wrap up my 4 years in the South. I've had a lot of fun in Atlanta.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Oh I had a blast everytime I went to Atlanta. I went to Clemson, so I was only a couple hours away. The three most notable times I went to Atlanta were when I went to the SEC Championship, went to a Celtics vs Hawks game last year (we won ) and for my friend's wedding last spring which was at the Georgia Aquarium. It was an amazing night, after the wedding my friend's father-in-law rented out the entire top floor of a bar near the aquarium...I think it was called Stats? It was a great night, and a great way to wrap up my 4 years in the South. I've had a lot of fun in Atlanta.
Cool. Yep, that would be Stats.

Believe it or not, right around the corner is the newest outpost of Legal Seafood (within view of the Aquarium).

Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,931 times
Quote:

Bus ridership in Chicago is actually much higher than L ridership. There are also a couple of L lines that are under-used which brings the totals down - green line on the south side is redundant, for example, as it's only a few blocks away from the red line. there was talk of tearing down the green line (oldest in the system) back in the 90s before the CTA got federal money to reconstruct it. The entire line was actually out of service for two years while they re-built it.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 PM

^How is the Brown Line? I've never been on that one, but have been told by a couple of people that there are some impressive views of the skyline from it.

Would I be correct that the Brown Line would be the best way to reach Wicker Park?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
No, I'm not claiming I rode MARTA regularly. I just look at statistics. Found on Wikipedia, I calculated the daily ridership of heavy rail, light rail, commuter rail, and bus systems:

NYC: 11,327,000
Chicago: 2,072,500
LA: 1,599,700 (1,266,700 from bus ridership, wow!)
DC: 1,538,900
Boston: 1,259,100
Philly: 1,050,300
SF: 896,100
Atlanta: 529,700

I'm not saying there's no ridership on Atlanta's systems, but it doesn't compare to Chicago and other major cities.
Of course it doesn't compare to Chicago. But I believe your first post on this thread was in response to a poster remarking on how clean the trains were. Your clear implication was that it was because no one rides them. So let's not be disingenuous; everyone here can read.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:17 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
^How is the Brown Line? I've never been on that one, but have been told by a couple of people that there are some impressive views of the skyline from it.

Would I be correct that the Brown Line would be the best way to reach Wicker Park?

Thanks in advance.
Brown line has great views of the skyline, especially when it snakes through old town near the Sedwick Stop.

The Brown Line will not get you to Wicker Park, your best bet is the Blue Line to Damen. The North Ave bus will also get you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City