Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:19 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I have never seen a street race in my city (Chicago). Wow, I never stopped to think that people actually do that sort of thing.
Yea it's pretty common out in California and in the Western states. I think it's more popular out here because California is a car culture, infact it was pretty much designed for cars. From what I have seen the East Coast isn't really into car's like the West Coast is.

Last edited by kcee510; 10-28-2009 at 01:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 11:04 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
I didn't say Sideshows was street racing. However were you will find sideshows you will find racing.

No offense or anything but you guys don't even come close to matching Oaklands sideshows. It aint a couple dudes swinging dounuts after the club it's a two dozen cars taking over multiple freeways, it's 200 people shuting down MacArthur. Sideshows in the Bay are on a whole other level fromt the rest of the nation.

I highly doubt some dudes doing dougnuts would make the national news

YouTube - MSNBC - Oakland Sideshows

Ohh and by the way brah I am a female lol

Oh, well excuse me miss
But Ive seen first hand the car culture in the Bay area with the side shows and everything else and it really is not that different than the car culture here in Atlanta. People here hook up and trick out almost anything from new Chargers to old school Chevy Impalas to rice burning Hondas. The only difference is I noticed an affinity for late 80's to mid 90's Buick and Oldsmobiles in the Bay and here its more early 70's to early 90's Chevys. The suspensions are different here also as its more about lift kits and big rims here, and if your car is raised up on air shocks with some 26-32 inch rims you cant pull the type of stunts you could if your car was lowered on some coilovers.
But trust some do still get in the car and "go ham" as we call it. I was at a freinds house for a BBQ back in the day and some idiot fishtailed into the back of my '83 Regal after he attempted to impress some girls that were standing on the sidewalk.

And we dont ride 200+ deep down an expressway, only the biker's do that here. Car people go to the park every Sunday or car shows. Same thing, just different venue. Go to Mozley Park, Maddox Park, or Glenwood Park, or any other city park on a Sunday afternoon and you will see waaay more than 200+ tricked out cars.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:09 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
Oh yeah, one more thing. Outside of entire movies being based off the L.A. / SoCal scene, there was also a videogame dedicated to it as well that came out last year:

I'm sure it's big in other places, but I will always believe that SoCal is the poster child for street racing due to how big the scene was and the environment that bred it (car culture, freeways, etc.)
I love this game .

Old 10-30-2009, 03:14 AM

116 posts, read 364,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
street racing started in SoCal
how about no....street racing could have started when the second car was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I have never seen a street race in my city (Chicago). Wow, I never stopped to think that people actually do that sort of thing.
You kind of have to be in the "know" or the "scene" to know where anything is, Here in Chicago, the rest of the midwest, the south and the east coast, everything is more discreet cuz it's more of the "real underground street racing lifestyle"...You have people from ages 16 to 50 sometimes maybe even older that come out and play. (yes I know from experience, no I don't do it anymore) There is actually Tons of street racing in the Chicago area...on a given thurs/fri/sat/sun night when it's nice out there are probably 15-20 if not more "meet up" spots just in the chicagoland area. Sometimes the hardcore guys even set up street racing events with other cities/states...I've seen/heard Detroit, STL, Kentucky, Houston, Dallas, Some of the florida guys, NYC, Chicago all set up things with eachother. There is even a forum that most of the Chicago guys are on (chitownracing.com) check it out if you want, just don't ask stupid questions like where the racing spots are cuz they probably will not tell you and or flame you for asking something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Yea it's pretty common out in California and in the Western states. I think it's more popular out here because California is a car culture, infact it was pretty much designed for cars. From what I have seen the East Coast isn't really into car's like the West Coast is.
You don't hear about the rest of the country cuz we like to keep it on the low...Isn't cali filled with 16 yr old asian kids trying to race their mom's fwd honda civic with gigantic wings and mufflers on their cars....lulz

Old 10-30-2009, 01:43 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
When I think of street racing I think more of the sunbelt, specifically places mentioned in this thread like LA, the Bay, Miami, etc.

From what I heard it used to be much more common in the midwest and eastcoast. I live in Cleveland and in the Cleveland area, the majority of races we have here will be pretty private and occur on highways and wide/straight major roads at night. Most the time it will be set up beforehand with a bet, but sometimes it'll happen randomly like some cars will be showing off on the highway at night and they'll just start racing. You hear of people crashing once in a while.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:40 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,554 times
California cities seem to be the capital of street racing.

I do remember a couple of years ago Detroit had a major street racing problem, there were several fatalities that were related to street racing. Don't know if Detroit cleaned that up or if it got worse.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:53 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,372 times
for me Jacksonville for some reason. IDK?

Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 AM

47 posts, read 199,727 times
Phoenix Tucson are under rated
Tampa is def. under rated, i know there people race the causeways that span the bay at night all the time
the scene there is epic
the main are most any major cal city and miami

Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 AM

276 posts, read 432,180 times
DC's suburbs.
We used to get lowwwwww on the cops.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:04 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,654 times
Tampa has a lot of street racing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City