Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco Bay area V.S. Tampa Bay area
San Francisco Bay area 49 87.50%
Tampa Bay area 7 12.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 05:58 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Funny story. I arrive in Denver and the cabbie ask where I'm from. I said "the bay". he said oh I am from tampa bay too. I was like huh? I told him I am from the SF bay and he really wasnt familiar with that term.
For future reference, if you told most of America that you were from "The Bay", you would be asked to be more specific.
If you said "The Bay Area" that would be different.

To the topic. I would have to agree with LINative's choice because I have no desire whatsoever to live in San Fran.
If I lived in Tampa I would buy a boat and be on the water every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I guess you do not need to work.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I guess you do not need to work.
I guess you've never been to Florida.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:35 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,519 times
SF Bay area or Dubia(tha-BAY)

Old 04-05-2009, 04:19 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
For future reference, if you told most of America that you were from "The Bay", you would be asked to be more specific.
If you said "The Bay Area" that would be different.

To the topic. I would have to agree with LINative's choice because I have no desire whatsoever to live in San Fran.
Really? Well I recall quite a few popular rappers that referenced "the bay" in many of their songs i.e. E-40, mac mall...

Is there really any well known tampa bay rappers that refer to "the bay" as tampa bay? is tampa bay really known as "the bay" outside of the florida area? I am willing to bet that "the bay" to most people in the U.S. means the SF bay area...

The San Francisco Bay Area, commonly known as the Bay Area, or the Bay, is a metropolitan region that surrounds the San Francisco and San Pablo bays in Northern California

San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where' "the bay" in it?
Tampa Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry bruh but I have a feeling folks from TB are bitting hard off "the real bay"

There is only one "the bay" in pop culture. Did I mention the cabbie was thuggish? He should have game recognized the bay main.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:23 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Is there really any well known tampa bay rappers that refer to "the bay" as tampa bay?.
The only singers in Florida that refer to Tampa as "the Bay" are probably some backyard country singers,lol.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Really? Well I recall quite a few popular rappers that referenced "the bay" in many of their songs i.e. E-40, mac mall...

Is there really any well known tampa bay rappers that refer to "the bay" as tampa bay? is tampa bay really known as "the bay" outside of the florida area? I am willing to bet that "the bay" to most people in the U.S. means the SF bay area...

The San Francisco Bay Area, commonly known as the Bay Area, or the Bay, is a metropolitan region that surrounds the San Francisco and San Pablo bays in Northern California

San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where' "the bay" in it?
Tampa Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry bruh but I have a feeling folks from TB are bitting hard off "the real bay"

There is only one "the bay" in pop culture. Did I mention the cabbie was thuggish? He should have game recognized the bay main.
exactly, the freaking chesapeake bay is a larger metro than tampa...

Old 04-05-2009, 04:35 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
I would never expect anyone outside of CA to know the term "The Bay". That's pretty arrogant to think everyone would know that term refers to the SF Bay Area automatically imo. Rappers have a lot less influence on the general public than many that listen to it realize too, especially local ones like Mac Mall.

I've heard the Tampa-St. Petersburg referred to as "The Bay Area" before many times too, usually just in local news stories or something like that so it's not really known for being referred to that outside the region unlike the SF Bay Area is but is still called "The Bay Area" by locals from what I can tell. And I sure as hell wouldn't try to use Wikipedia as some "proof" considering anyone could go and write Tampa is called "The Bay" on that article if they wanted to at any moment.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:30 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
When I hear "The Bay", I immediately think of the SF Bay. Just like when I hear "The Loop", I think of The Loop in Chicago and not a similarly named area in another city. Since SF gets so much more attention than Tampa I'd imagine it would be the same. Also, when I hear "Midtown" I immediately think of Midtown Manhattan. There's a Midtown in every city, but Manhattan's is the only one that sort of has a life of it's own and is recognized on it's own.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
When I hear "The Bay", I immediately think of the SF Bay. Just like when I hear "The Loop", I think of The Loop in Chicago and not a similarly named area in another city. Since SF gets so much more attention than Tampa I'd imagine it would be the same. Also, when I hear "Midtown" I immediately think of Midtown Manhattan. There's a Midtown in every city, but Manhattan's is the only one that sort of has a life of it's own and is recognized on it's own.
There are other Loops?

The term Midtown is only used in Manhattan. People from midtown Manhattan do not go to other cities declaring that they are from Midtown. They would typically say "I live in Midtown Manhattan" and that's only if they really wanted to distinguish which part of Manhattan they live in.

I would be willing to bet that most people would assume that "the Bay" meant The Bay Area, but that they would have to ask the person whether their assumption was correct.
There are many iconic bays in the U.S. as illustrated by the reply from the cab driver.
Simply saying "The Bay" indicates laziness and/or arrogance of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City