Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

Which cities do people tend to 'dress up' a bit more, and be more conscious of fashion?

I'm guessing New York, Boston, San Francisco...etc the liberal cities with fashion scenes.

I'm guessing those in California and the South would dress more casually...like some people wearing shorts to work, that sort of thing.

Your observations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 04:05 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,007,752 times
In my experience, New Yorkers tend to dress very formally. For the most part, people in Arizona rarely dress up. Arizonans sometimes take the idea of casual dress to obnoxious levels. It is very common to see people walking around in Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops. Yes, it's warm most of the year, but there are some situations where a suit and a tie or closed toed shoes should be worn.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:55 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,040,501 times
I think the South is where people dress the most formally, and I think it's because of the bible belt culture. They not only dress up for church on Sundays, but many workplaces are strict with their dress code and looking professional. That's one of the things that makes Southern women sexy is how they dress. As for the most casual, I would say the West Coast, from shorts and flip-flops in SOCAL to the grunge look in Seattle, people wear these styles even to weddings.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:18 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I think the South is where people dress the most formally, and I think it's because of the bible belt culture. They not only dress up for church on Sundays, but many workplaces are strict with their dress code and looking professional. That's one of the things that makes Southern women sexy is how they dress. As for the most casual, I would say the West Coast, from shorts and flip-flops in SOCAL to the grunge look in Seattle, people wear these styles even to weddings.
I would have to agree with what you said about the South although NYC and SF and others are still very sophisticated and formal. Also IDK about the grunge thing in Seattle but I've lived in CA for the most part my whole life and never saw someone wear shorts or flip flops to a wedding or any formal event,except for maybe in middle school or highschool.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:01 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,330 times
The most formally-dressed place in the US: Amish Country.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,084,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
The most formally-dressed place in the US: Amish Country.
I believe that would be the 'most uniformly dressed place in the US' (outside perhaps a few cults with strict dress codes).

Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

In my experience, more and more employers have relaxed company dresscodes at corporate offices and other office environments. It is like an extra benefit for the employees that doesn't cost the company a dime...and it's so nice to be comfortably dressed at work. I worked for two corporate headquarters in the early-mid 90s that encouraged casual dress (jeans, shorts in warm weather) but of course there were minimum standards for length of shorts, etc. At Home Depot corporate I saw Bernie Marcus (CEO and founder) wearing jeans all the time...the other company was the corporate headquarters of a bank. Employess simply used discretion and dressed professionally if meeting or interacting with stuffy suit/tie outsiders.

I've known many people who had the same situation...from federal employees to accountants to programmers. I don't know what that says about formal vs. casual dress, but in Atlanta I would say it's more casual. Thank God.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I believe that would be the 'most uniformly dressed place in the US' (outside perhaps a few cults with strict dress codes).
The Amish aren't trying to impress anyone with their fashion sense, that's for sure.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:55 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,084,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The Amish aren't trying to impress anyone with their fashion sense, that's for sure.
No kidding. I said they dress uniformly. In case you don't know what that means, I've supplied the definition below.

uniformly

Pronunciation:
\ˈyü-nə-ˌfȯrm\
Function:
adjective

1 : having always the same form, manner, or degree : not varying or variable <uniform procedures> 2 : consistent in conduct or opinion <uniform interpretation of laws> 3 : of the same form with others : conforming to one rule or mode : consonant 4 : presenting an unvaried appearance of surface, pattern, or color <uniform red brick houses> 5 : relating to or being convergence of a series whose terms are functions in such manner that the absolute value of the difference between the sum of the first n terms of the series and the sum of all terms can be made arbitrarily small for all values of the domain of the functions by choosing the nth term sufficiently far along in the series
— uni·form·ly \ˈyü-nə-ˌfȯrm-lē, ˌyü-nə-ˈ\ adverb
— uni·form·ness\ˈyü-nə-ˌfȯrm-nəs\ noun

Old 04-05-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
No kidding. I said they dress uniformly. In case you don't know what that means, I've supplied the definition below.

uniformly

Pronunciation:
\ˈyü-nə-ˌfȯrm\
Function:
adjective

1 : having always the same form, manner, or degree : not varying or variable <uniform procedures> 2 : consistent in conduct or opinion <uniform interpretation of laws> 3 : of the same form with others : conforming to one rule or mode : consonant 4 : presenting an unvaried appearance of surface, pattern, or color <uniform red brick houses> 5 : relating to or being convergence of a series whose terms are functions in such manner that the absolute value of the difference between the sum of the first n terms of the series and the sum of all terms can be made arbitrarily small for all values of the domain of the functions by choosing the nth term sufficiently far along in the series
— uni·form·ly \ˈyü-nə-ˌfȯrm-lē, ˌyü-nə-ˈ\ adverb
— uni·form·ness\ˈyü-nə-ˌfȯrm-nəs\ noun
The snotty attitude was clearly uncalled for...I certainly didn't intend to ruffle your feathers with my Amish statement, but for some strange reason it seems like I did. Or maybe you just wanted to display your search/copy/paste skills...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City