Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 13,177 times

Advertisements

I have lived in SF for 7 years, lived in New york for 8 years, I think SF is really a backwater town. (I live in both places now, but am selling my house in SF) to live in New York exclusively). I went to Stanford and know the drill, there is a lot of money in sf and a lot of talent, but the city as a whole is unsophisticated, and is one big tourist trap. If you go to to New York , London, Milan, there you will see a very sophisticated urban landscape. If you are right out of college you will love SF, OR, if you are a meek person, sf will be a delight, but if you really wan to challenge yourself, and be around a global community, (that is not all asian or tech oriented), then get out of the bay area cocoon!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,470,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybratt View Post
I have lived in SF for 7 years, lived in New york for 8 years, I think SF is really a backwater town. (I live in both places now, but am selling my house in SF) to live in New York exclusively). I went to Stanford and know the drill, there is a lot of money in sf and a lot of talent, but the city as a whole is unsophisticated, and is one big tourist trap. If you go to to New York , London, Milan, there you will see a very sophisticated urban landscape. If you are right out of college you will love SF, OR, if you are a meek person, sf will be a delight, but if you really wan to challenge yourself, and be around a global community, (that is not all asian or tech oriented), then get out of the bay area cocoon!
LMAO what a moronic post. Yes, San Francisco is SOOOOOO backwater. That's the term that usually comes to mind when I think of it. Boston and DC too. You know what's sophisticated? Delano, CA. Or better yet, Webster Springs, WV. That there's a classy, sophisticated, cosmopolitan town! SF is completely backwater in comparison. LOL.

You seriously signed up for a CD account just to have this as your one and only post?? And off a dead thread that you resurrected no less. Yeah, your opinion has a lot of credibility. You've had your fun, now go back to wherever you surfaced from troll.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,334 times
IMO, SF is the second most urban environment in the U.S., and is ahead of Chicago.

SF is still a long way from NYC, though, at least in terms of "big-city" feel.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:44 AM

767 posts, read 2,065,180 times
Quote:

SF is Noooo backwater town!!!! Not by any standard...I am sorry if you think that your level of sophistication and your standards for excellence surpass what the city has to offer or that your intellectual growth is stifled by the type of second-rate morons that you have encountered in the city....But people from all over the globe visit SF and consistently say that it is as one of the finest cities anywhere to visit and experience.

Last edited by Central Illinois 1; 08-06-2009 at 01:06 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 01:49 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,460,753 times
Quote:
I have lived in SF for 7 years, lived in New york for 8 years, I think SF is really a backwater town.
If SF is backwater, then NY is inbred, barefoot and toothless.

Quote:
London, Milan, there you will see a very sophisticated urban landscape.
London and Milan. Two cities full of wannabes and posers.

Quote:
but if you really wan to challenge yourself, and be around a global community, (that is not all asian or tech oriented), then get out of the bay area cocoon!
In other words, if you can't hack it, run away to somewhere less competitive. Ciao.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Why demean the high status of another city for the sake of a troll?
Because "18Montclair" is obviously a jealous person with an inferiority complex. New York is far more sophisticated, advanced and worldly than that small silly San Francisco. London, Milan, New York set the trends and it trickles down into small irrelevant cities like San Francisco. New York is fabulous, San Francisco isn't. London is fabulous, San Francisco isn't. Does anyone ever hear San Francisco mentioned in the same breath as London and New York? Maybe in San Francisco, but not in the civilized world.

If London and Milan are full of poseurs, San Francisco is an irrelevant cultural wasteland of the socially inept. In San Francisco, you're either (1) a geek of Asian descent (2) an anti-social outcast or (3) a communist. Such a sad, depressing and small city.

Last edited by Americanboy; 08-06-2009 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 01:12 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,460,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-SV View Post
Because "18Montclair" is obviously a jealous person with an inferiority complex.
I'm jealous of Heaven alone-maybe.

Quote:
New York is far more sophisticated, advanced and worldly than that small silly San Francisco.
Correction. Manhattan is okay, the rest of the city(or rather 6 Million out of the 8 Million total)....er no comment.

Quote:
London, Milan, New York set the trends and it trickles down into small irrelevant cities like San Francisco.
Oh, go ahead and text me that on your iPhone. NEXT.

Quote:
New York is fabulous, San Francisco isn't. London is fabulous, San Francisco isn't.
London and New York are both ugly, uncouth and unpolished compared to San Francisco. Sorry overall, the quality of life in SF is better. I know it stings but do see to it that you seek counseling to ease the pain that happens when confronted with the truth.

Quote:
If London and Milan are full of poseurs, San Francisco is an irrelevant cultural wasteland of the socially inept.
That is more highly educated and sophisticated than either London and Milan. The Bay Area is better than both and spanks them as a place to actually live. Effortlessly.

Quote:
In San Francisco, you're either (1) a geek of Asian descent or (2) an anti-social outcast or (3) a communist.
You forgot(4) rich,(5) highly educated and(6) physically fit.

Oh, and (7) humble.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 08-06-2009 at 01:23 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I'm jealous of Heaven alone-maybe.

Correction. Manhattan is okay, the rest of the city(or rather 6 Million out of the 8 Million total)....er no comment.
Funny, Manhattan is double the population of San Francisco.

Quote:
Oh, go ahead and text me that on your iPhone. NEXT.
iPhone? LOL. How pedestrian of you.

Quote:
London and New York are both ugly, uncouth and unpolished compared to San Francisco. Sorry overall, the quality of life in SF is better. I know it stings but do see to it that you seek counseling to ease the pain that happens when confronted with the truth.
San Francisco is a tiny dingy city with laughable architecture. I actually find it (the tacky victorian architecture and all) quite ugly. It's always refreshing leaving the filth and the homeless and returning to Paris. Even London and New York are more interesting.

Oh, and before you try to pass San Francisco off as 'polished' try doing something with your massive underbelly, i.e. the notorious San Franciscan homeless. It's really frustrating stepping over the bums with while navigating that small sleepy "polished" city of San Francisco.

Quote:
That is more highly educated and sophisticated than either London and Milan. The Bay Area is better than both and spanks them as a place to actually live. Effortlessly.
You make me laugh.

Quote:
You forgot(4) rich,(5) highly educated and(6) physically fit.

Oh, and (7) humble.
You forgot (1) Poorly dressed (2) Filled with the ugly/unattractive/ (3) Full of the geek/socially inept set (3) Filthy.

The people of San Francisco are really unattractive, I've never come across a group of such hideous people in my life. I suppose all the "sophisticated" geeks don't care about appearances.

Are there any "normal" people in San Francisco? London/New York/Paris/Milan have a very diverse group of people (wealthy, fabulous, well dressed) while everyone in San Francisco is (1) a geek of Asian descent (2) hideous (3) a communist or (4) an outcast.

And why isn't there a social scene in San Francisco? Does anything go on in San Francisco? It's a very strange city.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM

2,562 posts, read 3,622,248 times
This thread has run its course, several times over. It's bad enough people are actually trying to compare San Francisco to Chicago (folks, it does not compare), but now some posters are comparing SF to London and New York. Horsesh\t.

San Francisco is a great city, but give it a rest.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,059 times
This bashing of New York and San Francisco is uncalled for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.