U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which state would you live in or which is better?
California 69 60.53%
Colorado 45 39.47%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 AM
 
1,694 posts, read 3,451,612 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
I think there is a difference here. You're talking about diverse weather in different regions and we are talking about diverse weather in the same regions. The closest I can think of in a single region having rapid changes in weather is the desert in Cali. But it doesnt hold a candle to the crazy weather patterns permitted by the rockies. Rain, snow, heat, thunder etc in a manner of several days.
See that would make living in or near the Rockies a horrible experience and you'd probably get sick from all the sudden changes,unless living there helps you're body get used to it. I couldn't imagine it snowing than it being hot the next day than the next day a thunder storm..that has to toy with the mind a bit.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2009, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Mile high city
795 posts, read 1,536,225 times
Reputation: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
See that would make living in or near the Rockies a horrible experience and you'd probably get sick from all the sudden changes,unless living there helps you're body get used to it. I couldn't imagine it snowing than it being hot the next day than the next day a thunder storm..that has to toy with the mind a bit.
Perhaps but I personally think it is exciting. I am the type of person who gets bored with the constant great weather of SoCal. Just so you guys know we are not exaggerating about the extreme weather here...

"The Front Range cities closer to the mountains tend to be warmer in the winter due to chinook winds which warm the area, sometimes bringing temperatures up to 60 F (16 C) or higher in the winter.[12] The average July temperature is 57 degrees in the morning and 87 degrees in the afternoon. The average January temperature is 15 degrees in the morning and 43 degrees in the afternoon, although the daily high may be 60 one day and 0 the next."
Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


"The climate of local areas are profoundly affected by differences in elevation, and to a lesser degree, by the orientation of mountain ranges and valleys with respect to general air movements. Wide variations occur within short distances. The difference (35) in annual mean temperature between Pikes Peak and Las Animas, 90 miles to the southeast, is about the same as that between southern Florida and Iceland. The average annual snowfall at Cubres in the southern mountains is nearly 300 inches; less than 30 miles away at Manassa in the San Luis Valley, snowfall is less than 25 inches. While temperature decreases, and precipitation generally increases with altitude, these patterns are modified by the orientation of mountain slopes with respect to the prevailing winds and by the effect of topographical features in creating local air movements"
CLIMATE OF COLORADO
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 AM
 
1,694 posts, read 3,451,612 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Perhaps but I personally think it is exciting. I am the type of person who gets bored with the constant great weather of SoCal. Just so you guys know we are not exaggerating about the extreme weather here...

"The Front Range cities closer to the mountains tend to be warmer in the winter due to chinook winds which warm the area, sometimes bringing temperatures up to 60 F (16 C) or higher in the winter.[12] The average July temperature is 57 degrees in the morning and 87 degrees in the afternoon. The average January temperature is 15 degrees in the morning and 43 degrees in the afternoon, although the daily high may be 60 one day and 0 the next."
Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


"The climate of local areas are profoundly affected by differences in elevation, and to a lesser degree, by the orientation of mountain ranges and valleys with respect to general air movements. Wide variations occur within short distances. The difference (35) in annual mean temperature between Pikes Peak and Las Animas, 90 miles to the southeast, is about the same as that between southern Florida and Iceland. The average annual snowfall at Cubres in the southern mountains is nearly 300 inches; less than 30 miles away at Manassa in the San Luis Valley, snowfall is less than 25 inches. While temperature decreases, and precipitation generally increases with altitude, these patterns are modified by the orientation of mountain slopes with respect to the prevailing winds and by the effect of topographical features in creating local air movements"
CLIMATE OF COLORADO
That's the difference about having varying weather by region and extremely varied weather in the same region. We can go somewhere else for virtually any kind of weather..while there it's not quite certain what the weather will be. And just to keep it interesting
today was one of those great SoCal days 80's and not a cloud to be seen,forecast for tommorow? 60s and rain.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 12:38 AM
 
Location: Irvine,Oc,Ca
1,425 posts, read 2,934,656 times
Reputation: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
That's the difference about having varying weather by region and extremely varied weather in the same region. We can go somewhere else for virtually any kind of weather..while there it's not quite certain what the weather will be. And just to keep it interesting
today was one of those great SoCal days 80's and not a cloud to be seen,forecast for tommorow? 60s and rain.
Man today was Beautiful Not to hot or cold I Played Basketball all Day in San Clemente Today.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Mile high city
795 posts, read 1,536,225 times
Reputation: 252
Today its suppose to be 66 and holy moly colorado sunny in Denver. It snowed and was in the low 20's the night before last...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Midwest Coast
1,169 posts, read 2,320,428 times
Reputation: 523
I wish it was in the 60's here in Milwaukee...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 01:08 AM
 
1,694 posts, read 3,451,612 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Today its suppose to be 66 and holy moly colorado sunny in Denver. It snowed and was in the low 20's the night before last...
Damn,it's been "perfect" in the 70's but today felt a little hot to in the 80's guess I have to get ready for summer..but not before 2 days of 60s and supposed rain,which is always welcome to clean the air.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 02:00 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
18,212 posts, read 15,473,335 times
Reputation: 4427
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
I think there is a difference here. You're talking about diverse weather in different regions and we are talking about diverse weather in the same regions. The closest I can think of in a single region having rapid changes in weather is the desert in Cali. But it doesnt hold a candle to the crazy weather patterns permitted by the rockies. Rain, snow, heat, thunder etc in a manner of several days. We literally get four seasons in a given week sometimes.
It depends on the area considered to be a region.

But as Golden-Mind-State said, extreme variation isn't necessarily a good thing for many people.

I will also point out the change in temperatures in a short distance. For instance, 65 degrees at the beach and 100 degrees at Woodland Hills on the same day, less than 20 miles away. Or 30s in the higher mountain areas, like Big Bear Lake, and 90s in the flatlands directly below also on the same day.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs,CO
2,369 posts, read 4,292,889 times
Reputation: 624
I live in Colorado and I think its a nice. I live in a neighborhood where there is not very much crime, and everything is conviently right by me. My problems with the area is that the area I live is very plain. I'd like to live in an area with more excitment. Plus Im into hip hop culture, and the area I live in is dominated by the skateboard culture. So Im going to have to go with California on this one even though I've never been there. Theres alot of areas in Cali that cater to those who are apart of the hip hop culture and everything like that. My only worries about California would be eathquakes and cost of living which would be higher than Colorado.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Illinois
3,014 posts, read 5,782,953 times
Reputation: 1303
There's a reason as to why Californians are abandoning their state in favor of places like Colorado and Texas...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top