Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:39 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
i'd rather live in VA, specifically the northern part of the state. That area seems to be the most liberal. It's also a pretty area. Lots of history in that state that I never get tired of visiting. And it's closest to NY
Rachael, if you are going to use liberal politics as a barometer, then you'd look at the border counties in Texas, next to Mexico. Counties such as Starr, Brooks, Presidio, Maverick, etc, along the Rio Grande always go about 85-90% to the Democrats. You can look it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 04:41 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Rachael, if you are going to use liberal politics as a barometer, then you'd look at the border counties in Texas, next to Mexico. Counties such as Starr, Brooks, Presidio, Maverick, etc, along the Rio Grande always go about 85-90% to the Democrats. You can look it up!

Ok, but I still wouldn't live there. I would die from the heat...lol. i can't handle it.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,979 times
Quote:
I think the main reason is she wants to be close to NY that's why she picks VA.

In addition to the border counties you have Austin, another liberal haven. A lot of people from the northeast like to move to Austin because they're going from one liberal place to another.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:16 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Sorry but VA isn't greener than east Texas. I can tell you haven't been to east Texas. Yes VA is greener than southern California but east Texas gets more rainfall than most of VA. Also TX isn't the southwest. It's the south. The southwest would be NM, AZ and CA. Texas is a southern state like VA is.
EAST Texas is a Southern state like VA is. The rest of TX is Southern-Lite, but in a WAAAAY different way then VA is. West Texas isn't Southern at all.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
I live in VA and have some friends who have parents that visited from Texas and also stated that they thought VA would be greener. I was a little surprised since my only experience with TX was mainly flat, dry grasslands. VA at the time was experiencing a drought, so it usually is much greener. As far as which state is better, I don't make those kind of calls because every place has it's advantages and disadvantages. Texas is also a huge state and outpaces VA on population and large cities. Virginia sort of makes up for that with population density, I think we rank 14 or 15th out of the 50 states and we have DC at our doorstep and are actually quite close to the big cities of the northeast. From where I live I can get to NYC in about 6 hrs. It takes about 8 to get to Atlanta. On another note only recently have I heard that Texas is a southern state, growing up I always viewed it as a south central/mid-western state. It may have been a confederate state, but that is ancient history as far as I and many others are concerned. But that is for another thread.
The part of Texas with dry grasslands is probably north central TX. Dry Grass land is also common in central Texas around Austin, and South Texas from San Antonio down to Laredo, but those aren't flat areas.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
What about Travis County-Austin? It went 65% Obama.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:39 AM

Most big cities in Texas are fairly liberal. But Austin is the liberal capital of Texas. The BLUE Oasis, in a RED desert(Thought of that myself), the BLUE berry in the middle of RED berries.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:46 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Just like your ultra productive "neither" comment was

The topic asked to pick one
If I would pick one then I would lie. So that does not make any sense. Now when you stated your last comment was completely off-topic, not mine

Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
I'm cool with Texas, but I prefer Virginia. Access to the Blue Ridge Mtns and the Atlantic are a plus for me for personal reasons. And I have a lot of family up there, and I find the state incredibly attractive. Matter of fact, I'm debating between relocating to Dallas or the Northern VA suburbs of DC in the next few years.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,324 times
First off, in my personal opinion, VA is a gorgeous state. I'd rank it right there with Arkansas, and NC in terms of natural beauty. I think East and Central Texas are Southern, and South Central and Western Virginia is Southern. But they are southern in different ways. VA's southern is a mountainous southern. Many of the people from its rural population have long unkempt beards and tattered clothes like mountain people.

Whereas in Texas the rural folk may wear tight jeans or overalls, but they dont usually have the long beard thing going on. Also VA's southern culture is of a colonial and mountaineer stock...the people (at least in central/southern VA) talk like people from movies such as Gone With the Wind. East Texas' southern culture is 1) of a Gulf Coast and/or Delta variety similar to Mississippi and Arkansas. and 2) Has a cowboy influence which is becoming diluted with more Hispanic culture. Even some blacks in rural East Texas are cowboys.

At any rate, I prefer Texas...there are larger cities and more of them. Once you get away from eastern Va, people start considering Roanoke or Charlottesville to be larger cities. These would be small to medium sized cities, at best, in Texas. Oh, and I guess this is because Im from Texas, so Im used to TEX-mex. But while rural VA has EXCELLENT homecooked southern style food, the Mexican food in VA is just unacceptable...they dont use ground beef for whatever reason, they dont really use much spice/jalepeno and their cheese tastes weird, and all the Mexican restaurants seem virtually the same.

absolutely unacceptable I tell you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City