Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Just had to add that I've eaten Buffalo plenty of times in California too. Sorry, it's not just a Denver or Colorado thing.
You have to go to special restaurants in SF or other places in Cali to eat buffalo. its abundant here in dinners etc. that was my point. Not that you cant get buffalo anywhere else. You can get buffalo, reindeer, elk and other game hot dogs on the street in downtown Denver. And at the buckhorn grill you can get rattle snake and other exotic game dishes. This is the nature of a local food for Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I dig Austin, but my vote goes to Denver.

Oh D-town. I find it amusing how you try so hard to represent Denver and end up failing so miserably.
You know nothing about denver. Please go troll someone else's post please.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
San Antonio has the largest MLK parade, unless it was out done this year.
Martin Luther King March San Antonio
Seems like a lot of cities make this claim

This year, MLK event even bigger
This year, MLK event even bigger - The Denver Post

Old 05-14-2009, 05:47 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
You know nothing about denver. Please go troll someone else's post please.
I lived in Denver for several years. I also visit several times a year as I still have family and friends in the Denver area as well as Colorado Springs.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:51 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
It also has a "Silcon Alley" for IT jobs.
This was true in the past, not any more.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:33 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine View Post
Anyone spent time in both of these cities?

Which do you think is more walkable, with more walkable neighborhoods? Which feels more "urban"? Which has a better downtown? Better nightlife, restaurants? Better public transit? Theyve always seemed comparable to me but haven't spent much time in either...
Wow, these are two of my more favorite cities in the US. I think Denver feels more urban overall because not only do you have all the urban amenities of downtown, but you also have Cherry Creek, which has an urban feel, the DTC, which has an urban feel, etc. Denver's suburbs are building town centers (like Belmar) which intentionally try to create an urban feel in the burbs.

Because Austin is live music capital, I would say that I liked the nightlife in downtown Austin slightly better than Denver, although only VERY slightly because Denver has pro sports and an awesome performing arts center all within walking distance of each other. But it's tough when there are just so many places to drop in impromptu and get some live music. You really don't have to plan a night out in downtown Austin. You can just kind of show up and find something to do.

As far as downtowns, Denver has the better one. Both are great, but again the performing arts center, the 16th street pedestrian mall, LoDo, the Capitol, Coors Field, the riverfront parks, etc. is just hard to compete with. I love Austin's 6th street and its waterfront parks and walkable downtown, but Denver gets the win on that one.

Denver by FAR has the better neighborhoods. They do a great job of putting neighborhood parks everywhere, and the architectural styles are just superior. They have the best new planned development in the nation in Stapleton, and plenty of other really nice neighborhoods like Wash Park, Belmar, Bradburn, Reunion, and the Southlands area. Austin has some great neighborhoods too like the new one at the old air field and a great one outside of Austin in Kyle called Plum Creek. But the scope of Denver's great neighborhoods is massive AND they connect them via bike trails. Can't beat that.

Austin is great. Denver is better.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM

32 posts, read 148,432 times
I know someone already asked this, but which is a better fit for someone in their mid-20s? I live in Nashville now and like it, but I could use a bigger city (Denver) OR somewhere less commercialized with music I'm more into (Austin). I have a motorcycle AND love to snowboard. Am I right to assume the riding season in Denver is going to be pretty short?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times
Tough but I say Austin

Old 08-06-2009, 08:54 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Austin has better food, a more interesting culture, a great college football scene, and is not far away from San Antonio, Houston, or Dallas.

I would love to visit Denver but would never live there. I have a feeling I would be out of place.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:17 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spltend View Post
I know someone already asked this, but which is a better fit for someone in their mid-20s? I live in Nashville now and like it, but I could use a bigger city (Denver) OR somewhere less commercialized with music I'm more into (Austin).
I'm from Nashville, and you can't go wrong with either Denver or Austin being in your 20s. They are so evenly matched in terms of a place for young people that I think it really comes down to which type of weather you prefer and if college football and pro sports are that big a deal to you. Both have "college sports," Austin has the Texas Longhorns, Boulder, which is in proximity equivalent to a suburb of Denver, has the Colorado Buffaloes. But obviously Austin has the higher profile football team. Denver wins in the pro sports department, with Austin having none, but the San Antonio Spurs are an easy drive. Denver's weather is closer to Nashville's, but with lower humidity and colder winter overnight lows. Austin's weather is much hotter than Nashville's, and you still have humidity. Austin has more greenery for a greater part of the year than Denver. Denver has mountains nearby and Austin has hills nearby.

Neither is the "better" fit just based on being a young person IMO. Both are great for that. It's going to come down to perferences in other categories. For me, Austin's summer is just way too brutal, and I like to spend time outdoors. Just last month, the high temperature for every day except 3 were right at or above 100 degrees. And the other 3 were 92, 95, and 96. 106 is forecast for today. Brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City