Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 AM

567 posts, read 1,441,506 times

Advertisements

the TRUTH is that there is only one city in the world with more high rises than NYC and thats Hong Kong. I'm sure Lucas has disappeared from this thread for now. LOL. I'm still waiting on that link, Lucas. Oh wait, i forgot. somehow we can use links in english, right? LOL

Old 04-12-2009, 09:30 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,546,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
NYC has a subway, so somehow that is not as good as an elevated train? The El is the ugliest eyesore in all of the midwest.
NYC has elevated trains. You've been there right?

Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,276,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post

IN case NorthEnd does not get to it today I'll answer your question.
Yes it does, but not in Manhattan, not between the skyscrapers.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:34 AM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Quote:
With the exception of a small stretch in Northern Manhattan (Manhattan Valley) all of New York's "Els" are in the outer boroughs, especially Brooklyn. Personally I like the Els, they are historic and old fashioned and you getter a better view, but I admit the subway is much faster.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:38 AM

Also the last few pages have posts about Bascule Bridges!?!?! I cannot believe anyone is bragging about them lol! Anyway all 3 cities have them, Chicago, Boston (at least one over the Charles) and Brooklyn has several alone (including one or two over the Gowanus canal I think).

Old 04-12-2009, 10:50 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,068,215 times
I think its funny that some New Yorkers are still arguing about Shanghai having more high rises when the picture is clearly presented.

And as far as highrises go. Sao Paolo also has more high rises.

The fact that they choose to argue agains ACTUAL pictures says something about their credibility and critical thinking skills.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:11 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,546,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
With the exception of a small stretch in Northern Manhattan (Manhattan Valley) all of New York's "Els" are in the outer boroughs, especially Brooklyn. Personally I like the Els, they are historic and old fashioned and you getter a better view, but I admit the subway is much faster.
Agreed with you on the historical feel of elevated trains. Just thought it was odd that someone would be calling them an eyesore in Chicago but ignore the miles and miles of cool elevated lines in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx.

I also think it's unique having an elevated train snaking along between skyscrapers.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:30 AM

Smile Flushing Train

Quote:
Agreed with you on the historical feel of elevated trains. Just thought it was odd that someone would be calling them an eyesore in Chicago but ignore the miles and miles of cool elevated lines in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx.

I also think it's unique having an elevated train snaking along between skyscrapers.
Hendru, I agree with you back, lol. If you want a fun (or scary) ride take the #7 Flushing IRT train toward Manhattan. Right when it gets to Long Island City, it makes two very sharp turns very high in the air (I think it goes over other trains at this point). The train actually LEANS over like it is going to come off the tracks and plunge 3-4 stories to the streets below. I used to think this was fun but maybe because I am getting older - it scares the Jesus out of me! Nice views of Manhattan but a scary ride lol.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:11 PM

734 posts, read 2,045,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
the TRUTH is that there is only one city in the world with more high rises than NYC and thats Hong Kong. I'm sure Lucas has disappeared from this thread for now. LOL. I'm still waiting on that link, Lucas. Oh wait, i forgot. somehow we can use links in english, right? LOL
LOL. Shanghai has more skyscrapers/highrises than NYC. Don't be dense.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:22 PM

259 posts, read 540,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
Times Square is one of the worst things about NYC! Nobody would be caught dead there! It's like the eqivalent of hanging out at Ditka's.

It says a lot that this is what a Chicagoan would find amazing about New York.
Well honestly I'm from Chicago and Times Square looks amazing..Im not afraid to admit that we don't have anything like that in Chicago lol...but if you're not looking for a Time Square or something of that sort then Chicago would be a place to visit or live.

New York= Culture, Fine eatery, Shopping, Entertainment, Diversity, Architecture

Chicago= Culture, Fine eatery, Shopping, Entertainment, Diversity,Architecture (father city of the skyscraper)

New Yorkers say that Chicagoans have an inferiority complex but it seems to me that many New Yorkers feel threatened or something by Chicagoans lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City