Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region do you prefer?
South 122 48.41%
North 130 51.59%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:30 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,846,135 times

Advertisements

"only visits" the south? What's that supposed to mean? At least I leave the area I live in. I take about 5 vacations a year, and not to just neighboring states. For example, in the past 2 years I went to Missouri/Illinois, Puerto Rico, Maine, Nevada, Bermuda, and FL many times, plus more. I've been around. In 3 months I'm going to Turkey and Greece

And yes, Naples is southern in culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 12:34 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This really makes us Northerners look bad though. NOTHING is worth 8k in property taxes. You live on LI, which has the highest COL in the country. IMO, not worth it.

Yes there are many good districts down South. Generally they are not as progressive as the more liberal districts up North, and have a curriculum that goes beyond religious aspects and focuses on evolution. Being an educator, I would hope for you to understand this. Good and bad depends on how you define "good" and how you define "bad". Standardized testing? Yes, Northern kids do better, primarily because schools in urban Northern metro areas have the money (from taxes) to hire SAT tutors for each classroom, and parents have the means to hire a private tutor (the norm in Connecticut). Yes, Northern kids have lower dropout rates - but the weather up here is colder so high schoolers have less of an option. Go to school where there is heat, or hit the streets with your friends where you'll have to bundle up in the bitter cold.

And while I completely disagree with the crap that's being thrown out there about the North, I can't blame these people for defending their homeland. You're completely tearing them down. Visit, then decide. It will give you wisdom.
We know better than to judge everyone based on a few people's ignorance...it's ludicrous to do that. Unfortunately, that's exactly the basis for the many of the stereotypes perpetrated in threads like these. Of course there are millions of people in the northeast who aren't this way - don't worry, we know.

As far as people moving south and moving back...you may know a couple of "returners" who couldn't handle the move, but that doesn't account for the majority who move south and love it - and stay permanently. It's been going on for 35 years now, and it's constantly gaining momentum.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:37 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Sorry, but the only thing "Southern" about Naples, FL is its geographic location. It is hardly the South.
She's DRIVEN THROUGH the other parts of the South...she's made that statement a dozen times in other threads. Undoubtedly she actually believes that Naples is a good representation of the region - and that in itself speaks to her lack of credibility on the subject.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 PM

Nope, I've been to Georgia and Virginia many times. Georgia because I'm a Braves fan, and Virginia for family trips and soccer tournaments growing up.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:39 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,480,124 times
Maybe if you didn't sit at your computer all day and type bogus stuff, then you could experience the world and realize that pretty much everything you write here is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The question about religion never comes up in conversation with co-workers\ neighbors. It's just not a question people ask about outside the South & immediately makes people uncomfortable. For example, in the South many don't even consider Catholics to be Christian & try to start an argument about the pope. If someone asks you if you are Christian or if you go to church 9 times out of 10 they are Baptists\ evangelicals. They don't even like Mormons even though they are so much alike. That is why many in the North [or anywhere outside the South] are uneasy talking to Southerners, in my opinion.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:40 PM

What, no one commented on my Intel talent search statistics??? I gave some statistics to back up why the north has better schools.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:50 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,295,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What, no one commented on my Intel talent search statistics??? I gave some statistics to back up why the north has better schools.
Because the North doesn't have better schools - that is a myth.

The only reason there are so many kids from the NY metro that made the cut on the Intel talent search is because METRO NY IS THE MOST POPULOUS REGION OF THE COUNTRY.

Get it?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:51 PM

lol no, not totally true...Then that means the whole state of Texas should have more than 10, but they don't. They usually only have 2-3.

So my school district growing up isn't one of the best, even though it's had 3 finalists in the last 2 years?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:57 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,295,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol no, not totally true...Then that means the whole state of Texas should have more than 10, but they don't. They usually only have 2-3.

So my school district growing up isn't one of the best, even though it's had 3 finalists in the last 2 years?
I didn't say that, and neither did you.

You made the blanket statement that the North has the better schools.

Simply not true - at all.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:57 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,082,675 times
YAll let the igonorant B*tch talk her trash because she is getting life off you guys argueing with her. We know we live in well established citys in the South. we all know that know that Northerners are moving here in droves. So argueing and disputing with this deranged woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City