Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs DC
Philadelphia 127 48.11%
Washington, D.C. 137 51.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
So do it. I love reading positive things about Philly from tourists and migrants.
I posted an excerpt above from a random blog, but again I don't read them and don't really feel like searching through more. I just don't understand the fascination. I have never read a blog or someone else's opinion about a city before I visited.

As far as my own visitors to Philly, I went to school in The Bronx and brought a large group of friends here for a weekend (mostly from New York and New England). They were just shocked at how large and dynamic the city felt. My Bostonian friends conceded that the city felt larger than their own and my New Yorker friends conceded that maybe the price tag just wasn't worth the cost in NYC. I thought maybe it showed that Philly had a low reputation to begin with, but since graduation a couple of my friends have relocated to Philly.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 11-09-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
So do it. I love reading positive things about Philly from tourists and migrants.
Yea, pretty much what I'm saying. There's probably a good engaging body of writing and pictures about how great Philly is so why not highlight them. I think South Philly is probably one of my favorite parts of the US and is incredibly underrated as a walkable, diverse and exciting neighborhood that is surprisingly inexpensive. There should be posts showing a tour of South Philly (and probably other parts of Philly that I'm much less familiar with) which lets people know how great the city is. I actually don't understand why most people just post skyscraper pics of Philly or small parts of Center City when there are a lot of other great parts.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Ending of "Essence of South Philly" walking tour. Part 1 - YouTube

Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I know neither city or their metros are on the coast but which city feels more coastal?

I didn't get that coastal feel in either city or their suburbs but what I did feel is that while its not on the coast city or metro, Philly has more east coast character. DC feels inland, physically and personality wise. It's a government town and it seems to overlook its own geography IMO.
I'm not sure which feels more coastal because both a river cities. Philadelphia has stronger ties to the Jersey Shore than DC does to the Delaware/Maryland beaches. Other than that, I'm not sure. Philadelphia does more with their river than DC does with theirs.

The east coast is pretty diverse (even the northeast is diverse), so it's hard to say what an east-coast character vs. an inland character is.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Out of these cities chosen, which of the cities have a better nightlife, public transportation, restaurants, shopping, scenery, colleges, is better for young pros/college students, museums, architecture, diversity, etc??
I'm probably voting for DC in this poll, but going by this criteria, it's not as clear cut:

Nightlife: Philly
Public Transportation: DC
Restaurants: Philly
Shopping: Philly (I guess)
Scenery: Tie (but if I had to pick, Philly because of Fairmount Park).
Colleges: Tie (but if I had to pick, again I'd choose Philly).
Better for young people: DC
Museums: DC (but Philadelphia has many underrated ones)
Architecture: Philly
Diversity: DC

So, if everything is waited equally, Philadelphia gets the very slight edge because of how I leaned in the ties. But really, I just think Philadelphia is a better city for eating and drinking. DC doesn't suck in those areas, though.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:42 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The problem with Philly is that it never fulfills its potential. And the reason is the apologists that live here and go on and on about how great it is. If people could see the problems, maybe solutions could be worked out. Why does the city have such an atrocious tax structure that is never dealt with? Why is such a crappy transit system with two small subways acceptable? Why was a brand new baseball stadium plonked in a no mans land miles from downtown?
Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Lol

The tax structure IS currently being reworked.

Crappy transit system? How? The only cities with better transit systems are NYC, DC, Chicago and arguably Boston. How is 4th or 5th best in the US crappy?!... P.S.. there are three subway lines in Philadelphia... and how are the BSL and the MSL small? They run the ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE CITY.

Personally I like all the stadiums where they are... and everyone who goes there out of town or not seems to like them there as well. You are the only person I've seen who has a problem with where they are. Their location just makes total sense. Easy to get to... close to I-95 and I-76 for easy access for suburbanites and cuts down on traffic congestion throughout the city. I like where the stadiums are.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,145 times
Plus they're easily reached on SEPTA's Orange subway line. Just go to the southern terminus of the Broad Street line and you're there!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I'm not sure which feels more coastal because both a river cities. Philadelphia has stronger ties to the Jersey Shore than DC does to the Delaware/Maryland beaches. Other than that, I'm not sure. Philadelphia does more with their river than DC does with theirs.

The east coast is pretty diverse (even the northeast is diverse), so it's hard to say what an east-coast character vs. an inland character is.
Well I find the guy that responded to me last night to be ridiculously inane so he deserves no response, clearly he hasn't ever lived on the coast because he doesn't live in a coastal city. The ocean, bay, or gulf are bodies of water where if you look on their horizon there is no ending to them, rivers aren't like that IMO.

From where I live, the hill behind my house I can see the Pacific Ocean, San Francisco Bay, and the Farallones Gulf and see parts of the Farallones islands. Unless there are folks that haven't consulted a map yet, San Francisco is on the coast of the bay and the ocean, the suburbs and other cities San Mateo, Burlingame, Sharp Park, Redwood City, Oakland, Berkeley, San Leandro, Alameda, Palo Alto, etc are all on either of the coasts, the Pacific ocean or the SF Bay. From my kitchen window, I can see the ocean and the hills.

I don't see this with DC or Philly. In fact, I don't know anywhere in DC where there are folks living with a coastal view, beachside houses, beach condos, etc. Same thing with Philly, neither the city or suburbs Gladwyne, Villanova, Vineland, etc are on the coast.

My question simply is which city has more east coast character?

Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Well I find the guy that responded to me last night to be ridiculously inane so he deserves no response, clearly he hasn't ever lived on the coast because he doesn't live in a coastal city. The ocean, bay, or gulf are bodies of water where if you look on their horizon there is no ending to them, rivers aren't like that IMO.

From where I live, the hill behind my house I can see the Pacific Ocean, San Francisco Bay, and the Farallones Gulf and see parts of the Farallones islands. Unless there are folks that haven't consulted a map yet, San Francisco is on the coast of the bay and the ocean, the suburbs and other cities San Mateo, Burlingame, Sharp Park, Redwood City, Oakland, Berkeley, San Leandro, Alameda, Palo Alto, etc are all on either of the coasts, the Pacific ocean or the SF Bay. From my kitchen window, I can see the ocean and the hills.

I don't see this with DC or Philly. In fact, I don't know anywhere in DC where there are folks living with a coastal view, beachside houses, beach condos, etc. Same thing with Philly, neither the city or suburbs Gladwyne, Villanova, Vineland, etc are on the coast.

My question simply is which city has more east coast character?
Well, Philly nearly empties out in the Summer (hyperbole, but not really) as the Southern New Jersey shoretowns are filled with Philadelphians. These towns become bustling with activity in contrast to the rest of the year when they are empty. I'm speaking about South of Atlantic City-Ocean City, Sea Isle, Avalon, Stone Harbor, Wildwood, Cape May. New Yorkers go to the shore towns North of Atlantic City-Seaside Heights, Asbury Park, etc (think TV show 'Jersey Shore').

Philadelphia to Atlantic City is less than an hour's drive. DC is a much longer drive to the beach, due to geography of The Chesapeake, and there is no dominated shoretown I know of where "DC people go". In fact, when my Dad lived in DC he would drive to the Philly shore towns in The Summer.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Well, Philly nearly empties out in the Summer (hyperbole, but not really) as the Southern New Jersey shoretowns are filled with Philadelphians. These towns become bustling with activity in contrast to the rest of the year when they are empty. I'm speaking about South of Atlantic City-Ocean City, Sea Isle, Avalon, Stone Harbor, Wildwood, Cape May. New Yorkers go to the shore towns North of Atlantic City-Seaside Heights, Asbury Park, etc (think Jersey Shore).
I understand.

In a way having an inland location in hurricane territory is a good thing but in some ways it sucks. How's the traffic to the shore in the summer?

Also this is a culturally different routine than your DC counterparts, I guess. Do they have the same enthusiasm of going to the coastline in the summer? What about Ocean City MD? I hardly call that the same metro, according to the maps it takes 3 hours to get there, and it's 150 miles from DC, but does it crowd up of DC folks in the summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City